Orioles offical denies report

Tony-OH

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hell if I know, I can just see him getting a not so nice phone call from the warehouse...

Well, if it's true that AM wants the O's to operate as a class-act, then I have a very easy time imagining that the FO is doing whatever-the-hell they're doing about leaks *and* also contacting OH-people in a considerate and respectful way. Nothing wrong with being nice about how you go about your business. AFAIK, AM goes about his business nicely and with respect, which is a big part of why a lot of baseball people seem to respect him right back. I expect that we play smack-down a helluva lot more than AM does.

I have no real problem with our insiders passing on things they've heard, if their source knows what's going on. But, if they're receiving priviliged information that the source didn't know was being passed on, that's wrong. And, any employee or business person who receives confidential information related to the company he works for or a client, passes that information on to others, he should be fired. I wouldn't want my employees passing on inside info about my company or its people, products, etc., to anyone that didn't have a need to know about it.

If AM thinks his employees are passing on internal info to unauthorized individuals, he should fire them for unethical and possibly illegal behavior. The same is true of any company with the exception of whistleblowers who are passing on information relation to crimes, safety issues, etc..

I have no real problem with our insiders passing on things they've heard, if their source knows what's going on. But, if they're receiving priviliged information that the source didn't know was being passed on, that's wrong. And, any employee or business person who receives confidential information related to the company he works for or a client, passes that information on to others, he should be fired. I wouldn't want my employees passing on inside info about my company or its people, products, etc., to anyone that didn't have a need to know about it.

If AM thinks his employees are passing on internal info to unauthorized individuals, he should fire them for unethical and possibly illegal behavior. The same is true of any company with the exception of whistleblowers who are passing on information relation to crimes, safety issues, etc..

I'm pretty sure it's standard practice in the press to pass on news "on condition of anonymity." In this age of internet forums and blogs, it is just a little more fast and loose than it once was. Leaks and insider info hitting the wire is nothing new.

I'm pretty sure it's standard practice in the press to pass on news "on condition of anonymity." In this age of internet forums and blogs, it is just a little more fast and loose than it once was. Leaks and insider info hitting the wire is nothing new.

Again, my problem isn't with a reporter or "insider" passing on the information if the source knows what's happening. My problem is with the "source." If an Oriole employee is passing on information that his bosses don't want passed on, that is usually an illegal act. Employees have a responsibility to safeguard privileged information related to their employers. They are not entitled to independently decide what information can and should be made public. The employer has every legal and moral right to take action to protect their proprietary information.

I just wanted to put out there that an Orioles official has contacted the Hangout and denied this report and said "it is completely inaccurate."

Now this official has no reason to lie to me but then again, neither did the other contacts.

At this point all we can do is wait. We had two different sources from two different circles of baseball tell us this was a done deal, 100 percent. Now maybe the players are a bit off or something but there just seems to be way too much smoke for their not to be some fire.

All I can say is stay tuned and we will report what we hear.

Tony,

Please call him back.BEG them not trade Brian:(

Thank You

Cindy

Again, my problem isn't with a reporter or "insider" passing on the information if the source knows what's happening. My problem is with the "source." If an Oriole employee is passing on information that his bosses don't want passed on, that is usually an illegal act. Employees have a responsibility to safeguard privileged information related to their employers. They are not entitled to independently decide what information can and should be made public. The employer has every legal and moral right to take action to protect their proprietary information.

Indeed. Hence "on condition of anonymity" (otherwise known as "so I don't get fired for telling you secrets") :)

While much of what you say is true, I think the point was, casual fans have limited knowledge of prospects, and that is what we are getting back. I would say it is safe to claim that mostly all casual fans will not like this trade. Pretty much the only people who may like this trade are those who follow the game a bit closer.

That does not mean ALL intense fans will or should agree with the deal.

I can look at stats & prospect reports. In addition to reading the paper I search the internet for as much info as I can find. I find it offending to feel that I'm being referred to in your post because I dont like this deal! I think Roberts is a pretty good player, and without a doubt nice upgrade for the Cubs. While I like Gallagher.... I view Cedeno as a hit/or miss guy that we should take a chance on. However he should be the 3rd or maybe 4th piece of this deal. Marshall on the other hand blows my mind:mad: . I dont believe he will be anymore than a 4 or 5, How many of those guys do we need?

Let me first say that even though I'm on the staff, I'm not in the loop on the sources...

Having said that, I want to point out that a source doesn't have to be an O's employee. It could be a player, family, a friend of a player, an attorney, someone in the commissioner's office, an agent, the doctor doing the physicals, Mr. Angelos' maid, etc.

I'm not debating ethics with you, as some of the above could be under non-disclosures, etc. I'm just saying that a source could be any number of people in the know.

More than likely the employees have signed non-compete or nondisclosure and other such agreements, which surprises me that someone would take that risk.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but it could be the Orioles screw up. They gave the information and then realized that they could change the deal so denied it. Wouldn't be the first time that news was prematurely reported by the Orioles. Isn't this how they lost Gomez last offseason?

With all this denying going on the Orioles would look like fools to announce the trade today. My guess is that they hold off until maybe even Friday to announce this thing. So I'm not holding my breath for anything official today...

I dont believe he will be anymore than a 4 or 5, How many of those guys do we need?

The question is, how many do we actually have, with at least one season as a solid MLB starter?

Assuming Bedard is gone:

Guthrie, Cabrera, and...

and...

... and that's it, actually. They're the only pitchers on the roster who have had a reasonably successful MLB season as starters. Apart from Guthrie (and Bedard), no other pitcher on the roster has ever had a year comparable to what Marshall put up in 07.

I see a lot of players who hope can be reliable MLB starters, but in terms of those who have actually shown they can do it, there's not exactly a huge glut.

With all this denying going on the Orioles would look like fools to announce the trade today. My guess is that they hold off until maybe even Friday to announce this thing. So I'm not holding my breath for anything official today...

I had been listening to XM radio for most of the morning and all they would talk about was Hall of Fame stuff. Jeebus....that was like 2pm yesterday that it was announced. Can't we get back to Hot Stove discussion?

If that's any indication of what MLB wants to focus on today then maybe that's why there's no news.

Archived