Orioles offical denies report

Tony-OH

You said it! Giving up Roberts --excellent table setter, base stealer, defensive player and face of the franchise -- for a young "prospect" who has failed to star at regular A (his level last year), and two marginal major leaguers: a 25 year old who was 7-9 last year with a WHIP of around 150 and maybe projects as a middle reliever and another good field no hit shortstop -- I thought we already had Fahay and Hernandez for that.

As I said the other day...everyone is SO anxious for "something" to get done that they haven't even taken the time to look at what we are giving up in BRob and what we're getting back. I am as ready as anyone for MacPhail to start pulling some deals, but IF he is truly wokring on getting MORE for Roberts, I aplaud him. Like I said...Everyone wants Roberts gone right now, but will (female dog) once they find out the return for him once he's gone!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ability of a team to implement ample obfuscation is paramount to success.

Now we know what Brian Billick has been doing since he was fired. Only thing keeping that from being a 100% Billick-ese sentence is the fact that the word dynamic wasn't used as a noun.

I hope when this is finally announced we can get the inside dirt on why they completed the deal yesterday, submitted it to MLB, denied it all of today saying they were still working on it and the Cubs were upping the ante. That just doesn't make sense to me. How can you work on a deal that has already been submitted? All they had to do was say we can't comment on ongoing negotiations, but to deny anything is happening makes them look foolish. They've been exposed.

I still wonder, as I posted in yesterday's mega-thread, that it might have something to do with us needing to clear spot(s) on the 40 man roster to make room for a 3-for-1 deal (because all 3 guys we are getting are on the 40 man). Maybe the deal has been agreed to but MacPhail is negotiating with another team to trade Payton and that deal hasn't been complete yet. Maybe the Cubs gave the O's 72 hours or something to finish the Payton deal to clear the room.

I still wonder, as I posted in yesterday's mega-thread, that it might have something to do with us needing to clear spot(s) on the 40 man roster to make room for a 3-for-1 deal (because all 3 guys we are getting are on the 40 man). Maybe the deal has been agreed to but MacPhail is negotiating with another team to trade Payton and that deal hasn't been complete yet. Maybe the Cubs gave the O's 72 hours or something to finish the Payton deal to clear the room.

Thats a good point & very possible! They'd have to move atleast 1 other!

>>Now maybe the players are a bit off or something but there just seems to be way too much smoke for their not to be some fire.<

We can only hope. The players in the reported deal trouble me.

Frankly I am tired of the we have a deal no we don't scenario but the two Seans and Cedeno are not enough for BRob. I read the post from the Chicago paper and laughed at some of the post. The one that I agreed with was the one that said the 3 players coming this way are no biggie. Read the rest of the posts on that site and you have to be amazed at how cocky the fans of a team that has not won in 100 years are. Heck we have only stunk for 10 years, or about 21 of the last 25. Felix Pie or bust in the deal.

Now we know what Brian Billick has been doing since he was fired. Only thing keeping that from being a 100% Billick-ese sentence is the fact that the word dynamic wasn't used as a noun.

You forgot the word profile.

The ability of a team to implement ample dynamic obfuscation is paramount to success in our profile. :D

Roberts cannot play SS, and nobody should think that he can. He was originally a SS in the minors after he was drafted, but the organization quickly moved him to 2b.

He doesn't have a strong arm and I believe it was further weakened by an injury he had in the minors. Not only that, but take a look at his fielding numbers as a SS in the minors, he was actually a terrible SS.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Brian-Roberts.shtml

Not to mention he hasn't played that position in four years now, this going on his fifth.

Archived