"Crush" Davis in the HR Derby

TonySoprano

Sarcasm?

Let's all remember that whether Chris participated in the HRD or not, it was always unlikely that he would keep up his current HR pace all season long.

Always.

I think yours is a pretty good take. No matter if he slumps coming out of it or not, he was likely to slow down some time.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I predict that Chris Davis is going to hit fewer than 30 home runs after the All-Star Break. And people who don't understand statistical regression will point to this as the reason.

They need to realize there's only 66 games left after the break.

from the Orioles:

Home Run Derby ticket offer: Every home run = $1 off

Be sure to tune in and watch Crush Davis take his cuts in the 2013 Chevrolet Home Run Derby tonight at 8 p.m. ET and see how much you will save! For every home run Davis hits during the Derby, Field Level tickets for select future games will be reduced by $1.

Field level tickets include Field Box (reg. $55-60), Lower Box (reg. $45) and Left Field Lower Box (reg. $30).

Use coupon code "CRUSH" to activate this discount approximately 15 minutes after the Home Run Derby. This offer will end no later than Thursday, July 18 at 11:59 p.m. ET, or while supplies last.

Discount applies to the July 30-August 1 series vs. Astros and August 2-4 series vs. Mariners.

Maximum discount of $25 if Davis hits 25 or more home runs.

Maximum of 6 tickets per game per household.

All tickets are subject to availability.

from the Orioles:

Be sure to tune in and watch Crush Davis take his cuts in the 2013 Chevrolet Home Run Derby tonight at 8 p.m. ET and see how much you will save! For every home run Davis hits during the Derby, Field Level tickets for select future games will be reduced by $1.

Field level tickets include Field Box (reg. $55-60), Lower Box (reg. $45) and Left Field Lower Box (reg. $30).

Use coupon code "CRUSH" to activate this discount approximately 15 minutes after the Home Run Derby. This offer will end no later than Thursday, July 18 at 11:59 p.m. ET, or while supplies last.

Discount applies to the July 30-August 1 series vs. Astros and August 2-4 series vs. Mariners.

DAMMIT Now I HAVE to watch this live instead of DVR'd.

from the Orioles:

Wow, I might have to make the drive down there for a series at those potential prices.

I will be watching this thing tonight for the first time in quite a while. Anyone else feel like this thing is way way too long and drawn out? The way they do it is very flawed too by doing it by rounds. I think whoever hits the most home runs on the night should be the winner period.

I think if they simply gave each guy one round with 10 "outs" and whoever hits the most would be much more appealing. You could have the guys with the most regular season homers hit last to make it interesting. This also ensures the winner is the one who hits the highest number on the night. I imagine this would still take at least an hour right?

I predict that Chris Davis is going to hit fewer than 30 home runs after the All-Star Break. And people who don't understand statistical regression will point to this as the reason.

25 gets him to 62. What will be really funny is if he hits less after the break with a higher HR/AB number (AB/HR is probably the easier ratio for discussion purposes), yet people call it a downturn because they don't realize there are less games.

Interesting article, by the way:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/waynemcdonnell/2013/07/15/the-overblown-fallacy-of-the-home-run-derby-hangover/

The Home Run Derby has become a grand event for Major League Baseball and its fans. Besides the excitement and drama, the Home Run Derby is viewed as a major opportunity for sponsors to engage with a captivated audience. As baseballs will fly all over Citi Field and throughout the Queens evening, people will marvel at the ball players’ skills. They will also begin to wonder how these ball players will perform in the second half of the season. Fans should use caution and not rush to immediate judgment based off a few at bats or even a couple of games. The Home Run Derby has unfairly become synonymous with second half slumps, but the data collected clearly suggests otherwise. Therefore, participation in the Home Run Derby is more of an occupational hazard than a precursor to a second half slump.

I will be watching this thing tonight for the first time in quite a while. Anyone else feel like this thing is way way too long and drawn out? The way they do it is very flawed too by doing it by rounds. I think whoever hits the most home runs on the night should be the winner period.

I think if they simply gave each guy one round with 10 "outs" and whoever hits the most would be much more appealing. You could have the guys with the most regular season homers hit last to make it interesting. This also ensures the winner is the one who hits the highest number on the night. I imagine this would still take at least an hour right?

I still like whittling down with rounds, but would prefer it to be cumulative. So like, the top 4 continue and keep there round one amount, or something like that.

Archived