"Crush" Davis in the HR Derby

TonySoprano

I still like whittling down with rounds, but would prefer it to be cumulative. So like, the top 4 continue and keep there round one amount, or something like that.

I'd be OK to have the top two go head to head for a final showdown but they would still go by total number. In other words if Crush had 14 and Harper had 12 then Harper would have to hit 3 more than Crush in the showdown round to win.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be OK to have the top two go head to head for a final showdown but they would still go by total number. In other words if Crush had 14 and Harper had 12 then Harper would have to hit 3 more than Crush in the showdown round to win.

Yea, that's sort of what I was getting at. Not really wedded to one model (top 2, top 4 followed by top 2, etc.) but some sort of cumulative format is better IMO. Stupid to see a guy obliterate round one then be back on equal footing later IMO.

I'll be there in the left field bullpen.If I catch one, I hope it from Crush's bat.

They're not going to let you on the field with your glove? No opportunity to barrel over a kid for a pop fly? ;)

In all seriousness, that's awesome. With how often Davis sends them opposite field, I think you may have a good shot.

Yea, that's sort of what I was getting at. Not really wedded to one model (top 2, top 4 followed by top 2, etc.) but some sort of cumulative format is better IMO. Stupid to see a guy obliterate round one then be back on equal footing later IMO.

Yes agreed but the thing needs to be kept much shorter. It's fun to watch for a little while but people do get tired of watching batting practice. An hour is ideal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• If they added Brebbia and Erceg to bolster the pen. I’d pass on Kimbrel. He’s been mostly good but when he’s bad it’s been bad.
    • There is a better correlation between strong bullpens and winning in the playoffs vs starters. 
    • I went 95 plus … there are 66 games left. .500 the rest of the way gets then to 91. If they play .600 ball that 97. 
    • Can't see that happening unless another great back end option emerges this year (other than Felix). Tiny payroll and Kimbrel has been very good. Unlikely that Felix is back this year and I can't see the plan being for him to have his old usage % next year. 
    • Something tells me he wouldn’t be hurling a 16 LB bowling ball with a hook if he had a UCL tear. But, what do I know … I wouldn’t bother to argue my athletic credentials with him. 
    • I think they will move on from Kimbrel, especially if Felix returns and is healthy later this summer. I think they could make better use of the $12 million or so on the option. 
    • I covered about 15 consecutive All Star games at ESPN. In some of the early years, the players wore the uniforms they played with and seeing those players take batting practice wearing those uniforms was glorious to watch.Over the years I got to see Joe DiMaggio wear a Yankees uniform...Willie Mays wear a Giants uniform, Henry Aaron wearing a Braves uniform. I felt like I was transformed  back in time. It gave me goosebumps. One ASG in Pittsburgh, I saw Brooks Robinson take batting practice wearing his Oriole uniform. I took this picture. I showed it to Brooks years later. He smiled and said, 'Roy, look at the smile on my face. I loved to wear that uniform and take batting practice wearing it." Then he said something that moved me. He said, wistfully, "Thats the LAST time I ever took batting practice wearing my uniform for the Orioles." I believe MLB lost its soul a  little bit when they went for those silly "Beer League" uniforms, and those ridiculous day-glo colors too. Baseball, for me, more than ANY other sport is about tradition and legacy. Those All Star uniforms we saw the other night were almost vulgar, and something close to an insult on the tradition and history of the game.Brooks Robinson is gone now, and so are many who PROUDLY wore those uniforms and made history wearing them.I feel honored that I got to take Brooks Robinson taking batting practice for the last time wearing that uniform. I hear baseball, next year will go back to the tradition using the standard (not those grotesque city connect) uniforms and it will re- acquaint the nation with the uniforms the way they SHOULD look in a classic exhibition.It's never too late to honor the game and the uniforms great players wore doing great things.I just wish baseball would have gotten the message about 10 years ago.
  • Popular Contributors