My Honest Opinion Is That This Team Is In Trouble

WNY Orioles Fan

Don't post often but is a longtime fan. I just don't like what I'm seeing at all. Our once potent offense all of a sudden can't score worth a damn. I knew something just wasn't right with this team. They've played good, but could never get HOT. I also believe JJ has sucked a lot of life out of this team.

They better hope to grab one of the wildcard spots because I don't see them catching Boston.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the All Star Break will be a good reset point for us.

With Chen returning, and Feldman likely to give more outings like last week's than like this week's, our rotation is looking up. The lineup has been down for a while now, but they'll get hot again. I doubt JJ blows six more games so our bullpen performance should at least hold steady if not improve.

We definitely have flaws, but I still think this is looking like a 90-win team, give or take a few. We'll be in the playoff chase til the end. Just too many teams in the conversation (the entire AL East as well as TEX/OAK/LAA have to be considered competition for us) to say with much confidence either way whether we get in.

I think the All Star Break will be a good reset point for us.

With Chen returning, and Feldman likely to give more outings like last week's than like this week's, our rotation is looking up. The lineup has been down for a while now, but they'll get hot again. I doubt JJ blows six more games so our bullpen performance should at least hold steady if not improve.

We definitely have flaws, but I still think this is looking like a 90-win team, give or take a few. We'll be in the playoff chase til the end. Just too many teams in the conversation (the entire AL East as well as TEX/OAK/LAA have to be considered competition for us) to say with much confidence either way whether we get in.

That outlook is a waste of arguably the #1 defense in baseball and a top 5 (or better) offense. The front office absolutely needs to trade for an ace and a couple of other parts (bullpen arm, a right-handed DH type, maybe an additional SP), otherwise Duquette and Co. should all just give up, because GM's all over baseball would kill to have the talent we have.

That outlook is a waste of arguably the #1 defense in baseball and a top 5 (or better) offense. The front office absolutely needs to trade for an ace and a couple of other parts (bullpen arm, a right-handed DH type, maybe an additional SP), otherwise Duquette and Co. should all just give up, because GM's all over baseball would kill to have the talent we have.

You can't just wave a magic wand and have an ace pitcher appear for an easy trade. Cliff Lee is the only ace pitcher who MIGHT be available, and without even bringing budget into it we don't have the pieces to trade for him without giving up Gausman or Bundy. And if we trade one of those, we very well might be sitting here in three years worrying that we're on the tail end of our window of competition with Jones/Machado/Davis and we might be a legit title contender but we're not sure because we lack a true ace because we lost Dylan Bundy and/or Kevin Gausman. So yeah, an elite ace would be nice. But there's just not an avenue to getting one. (And before someone says Matt Garza, he's been approximately as good as Feldman this year and is more expensive.)

My what short memories we have. Weren't the O's something like 10 games out last year? In August?? It's not even the All-Star Break.

Different year, different situation. Too many teams as good or better than us in division.

Entirely too much time left to make a call on this team. The last two turns through the rotation have been mostly good if not better, and the offense is in a bit of a lull right now. I think the recent pitching is sustainable, the offense will surely return, and there is a sizzling streak in this team ahead. We are well above at we've shown recently, and knowing that has magnified each mistake. Just relax and be patient while the 2nd half unfolds.

Archived