My Honest Opinion Is That This Team Is In Trouble

WNY Orioles Fan

Entirely too much time left to make a call on this team. The last two turns through the rotation have been mostly good if not better, and the offense is in a bit of a lull right now. I think the recent pitching is sustainable, the offense will surely return, and there is a sizzling streak in this team ahead. We are well above at we've shown recently, and knowing that has magnified each mistake. Just relax and be patient while the 2nd half unfolds.

Nah, we here at the OH prefer overreacting to every little thing that goes against us in every single game all season long.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Entirely too much time left to make a call on this team. The last two turns through the rotation have been mostly good if not better, and the offense is in a bit of a lull right now. I think the recent pitching is sustainable, the offense will surely return, and there is a sizzling streak in this team ahead. We are well above at we've shown recently, and knowing that has magnified each mistake. Just relax and be patient while the 2nd half unfolds.

an uptick in pitching recently could easily be explained as sheer luck. Not saying that it is, but a week or so sample size means nothing.

Different year, different situation. Too many teams as good or better than us in division.

Yes, and that parity is another reason not to worry. You think the Yankees are feeling confident? Toronto? Tampa? Think Boston is comfortable with the lead they have? Nope. Everybody has issues right now. Boston has the fewest, and for a team that finished in last place last year they are going to have doubts. Uehara is the Sox third closer- think he's better than anything we have?

Long way to go, so Buckle Up. Either that or sit with Roy when you're at the games. :D

We also had a great record in 1-run games and a closer that was almost untouchable. Not so much this year.

We need another bullpen arm and bat.

And we're better in other areas. The distribution of type of wins was flukey last season, not the wins themselves. This is a better team than last season at this point. I truly believe that.

I know why we say things like this so that if it actually happens like we miss the playoffs it's easy to handle. Everyone counted the rays out a month now they are ahead of us. We'll be fine. Just need to tread water till the break then regroup.

The AL East is just too tough this year. Last year, every other team was either down or had long stretches of problems.

A team full of 3 SPs pitching like 4/5s can't overcome 4 other teams with legit 1/2s who live up to their billings.

The organization needs to look at their pitching coaching top to bottom. Seeing Tampa bring up guys like Chris Archer who shut us down while we can't find anyone who can go 7 or use retreads like Garcia is a joke.

We are seeing a full on regression to the mean in progress.

Yes, and that parity is another reason not to worry. You think the Yankees are feeling confident? Toronto? Tampa? Think Boston is comfortable with the lead they have? Nope. Everybody has issues right now. Boston has the fewest, and for a team that finished in last place last year they are going to have doubts. Uehara is the Sox third closer- think he's better than anything we have?

Long way to go, so Buckle Up. Either that or sit with Roy when you're at the games. :D

Hopefully Boston will finish 2013 like they did in 2011. :)

What is similar is that we're about to get back a pitcher for the second half (Chen) like we did with Tillman last year who could really give us a boost.

The bad news is the BP is regressing. Predictable.

Yep, definitely. Lot more in the cupboard now than last year though. Buck is probably at a low point when it comes to confidence of his bullpen lefties, so perahps one is moved out when Chen comes back. Zach could take that spot since Hammel most likely won't get moved. Ascencio at Norfolk seems like he should be here to help out the pen as well. Let's not forget Steve Johnson. With all that potential help, perhaps one or two gets traded. It's a nice thought anyways.

I know why we say things like this so that if it actually happens like we miss the playoffs it's easy to handle. Everyone counted the rays out a month now they are ahead of us. We'll be fine. Just need to tread water till the break then regroup.

This is an interesting point/idea.

Yeah the JJ mega blows and the two games Adam Jones gave away blowing bubbles has taken nine should be wins.

Right, because closers should NEVER blow a save, even though the greatest closer of all time blows a save 10.5% of the time.

This is an interesting point/idea.

I do it, and to a certain degree we all probably do it. So we can pridefully say I knew it would happen. That's the mindset 14 years of awful losing has given us. We're paranoid.

Assuming our pitching stays average or better- and keeps us in games, our destiny lies with Matt Wieters IMO. Davis will/IS cooling off- and or is getting pitched around- and after the break, I expect that to be the case more often than not. I think that's one reason why so many home run hitters on a record pace at the break, don't end up challenging the all time record come year's end- because pitchers stop giving them balls to hit. Wieters first 3 at bats tonight all came with 2 or more runners on base. The 3rd of which came after an outstanding at bat by Davis in which he induced a walk. 3 chances. 3 strike outs for Matt. Yeah, he got a 2 run dinger in his 4th at bat- but the damage was done- and it's hard for me to get excited about that when he is probably getting pitched to differently with a 5 run lead.

Matt needs to step up and become a force in the lineup for us to make a run to the playoffs- and or IN the playoffs.

Assuming our pitching stays average or better- and keeps us in games, our destiny lies with Matt Wieters IMO. Davis will/IS cooling off- and or is getting pitched around- and after the break, I expect that to be the case more often than not. I think that's one reason why so many home run hitters on a record pace at the break, don't end up challenging the all time record come year's end- because pitchers stop giving them balls to hit. Wieters first 3 at bats tonight all came with 2 or more runners on base. The 3rd of which came after an outstanding at bat by Davis in which he induced a walk. 3 chances. 3 strike outs for Matt. Yeah, he got a 2 run dinger in his 4th at bat- but the damage was done- and it's hard for me to get excited about that when he is probably getting pitched to differently with a 5 run lead.

Matt needs to step up and become a force in the lineup for us to make a run to the playoffs- and or IN the playoffs.

Strange stat of the game: Matt gets a HR AND a golden sombrero (7 LOB), yet his BA stays the same. I wonder if that's ever happened before.

Archived