Time to Switch into Seller Mode

webbrick2010

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crap! I was just coming on here to make a parody post about how the O's are a terrible team who should wave the white flag on the season, and how they should sell off every veteran on the roster, up to and including Matt Wieters, and should focus on rebuilding for the future because their 2013 team clearly isn't going anywhere.

Oh, my post was going to be a comedy masterpiece, a pitch-perfect satire of the ultra-reactionary Chicken Littles who think the sky is falling when the O's have a bad week.

And then someone came on here and posted exactly the same thing I was going to, but apparently with 100% sincerity.

Plans, ruined.

Timing is everything...!

The trade deadline is 21 days away. I don't think we will be "sellers" but I'm also rather pessimistic that we will be in any way "buyers," conoting as it does that we will spend some actual money on improving this team, an opportunity we had in the offseason and one which the front office effectively passed over with a gracious wave of Angelos' bejeweled hand... I think the team we have is the team we will have on August 1. And while I will be the happiest guy on the planet if I'm wrong, the pitching just isn't there this year. I'm not bullish that the staff as constructed gets us even a wildcard slot. Again, would like to be wrong about all of this and it shouldn't be taken that I'm somehow rooting against the Os. I just look at the contenders around us and I don't feel our pitching stacks up very well, even with modest improvement (Chen returns).

Well the kind of head in the sand responses that I unfortunately had expected

Keep holding on to those hopes that this team is a playoff team, and lose the chance to make improvements to the 2014 team.

Uehara had much more value than any of the 4 players you listed. Hammel and Feldman wouldn't bring much back at all.

Crap! I was just coming on here to make a parody post about how the O's are a terrible team who should wave the white flag on the season, and how they should sell off every veteran on the roster, up to and including Matt Wieters, and should focus on rebuilding for the future because their 2013 team clearly isn't going anywhere.

Oh, my post was going to be a comedy masterpiece, a pitch-perfect satire of the ultra-reactionary Chicken Littles who think the sky is falling when the O's have a bad week.

And then someone came on here and posted exactly the same thing I was going to, but apparently with 100% sincerity.

Plans, ruined.

Dude, you just don't get it. Frickin Jim Johnson is responsible for all this mess. Come on, I thought you were better than a talk show call in idiot.

I'll take the winning, most definitely! But the composite board IQ has dropped since we became relevant again. Anyone gonna disagree?

Nah, I'd say the composite IQ is the same. The posts that make everyone kinda shake their heads are just coming from a different angle now.

Uehara had much more value than any of the 4 players you listed. Hammel and Feldman wouldn't bring much back at all.

Well we gave up Strop and Arrieta to get Feldman... So I don't know what a team would be willing to give up for having Feldman for a shorter period of time. My guess is nothing we would want.

My take is this club is not going anywhere with this pitching so why not be sellers?? I would be curious to see what Wieters would fetch at deadline since it is obvious to me he will be gone after 2015. Just my two cents:)

I'm by no means a Wieters apologist, but just who are you replacing him with if we trade him right now?

The best adage to go by is the team is never as good as it looks during a long winning streak and never as bad as they look during a long losing streak. This team is struggling in many ways right now, but they will bounce back a bit and right the ship. Are they playoff contenders? Sure they are. Are they definitely going to the playoffs again, absolutely not.

The Orioles play in a great Division so it will be tough for them to make the playoffs, but this team has showed enough over the last year and half that suggests it's not going to meltdown. This is a long season and the team is not playing very well right now. Are there changes that could be made that would make me feel better, sure, but that's for another post.

While it is not a certainty by any stretch that the O's make the playoffs this year, and there is no certainty that a big move (addition) would put us over the hump and make us WS contenders, it's a near certainty that we miss the playoffs if we go into sell mode.

My new theory is that posts like these come from not knowing how to handle the uncertainty that comes with being a contending ball club. While we watch the games we're on the edges of our seats, every win causes elation while every loss causes a pit in the stomach. We didn't have that same pit in the stomach when this team was dreadful and out of the race before the break in years gone by, there was certainty and hope that we could build for 2, 3, 4, maybe 5 years down the road.

Archived