Change of Scenery Working Wonders For Pedro Strop - Not So Much for Arrieta

Old#5fan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting, a 7-2 game isn't exactly high pressure though. I have no regrets on the trade. We needed another SP bad.

I am at a loss for words on how bad we are at developing pitchers. I know Buck and DD have helped tremendously but just frustrating.

Arrieta gave up one run in one inning in his first start? That's a weird one...

I think I saw somewhere that his first game was suspended in the 2nd inning due to weather.

As for Strop, one look at the linked article tells me exactly what happened to get him on the right track in Chicago: they straightened his cap.

:P

Just watched Pedro strike out Beltran on an MLB Network live look-in. Don't know if he stared the inning. From what I saw though, runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs, bottom of the 8th, Cubs up over the Cards 3-0, so Beltran is the trying run. On a 1-0 pitch Pedro throws a wild pitch, both runners move up. 2-0 count. Pedro throws a breaking pitch for a called strike and then gets Beltran to swing at strikes 2 and 3, both nasty but also out of the zone.

Strop is in there now, with runners on 1st and 2nd base, 2 outs, and a 3-0 lead.

He threw a wild pitch to advance the runners, but he struck out Carlos Beltran to end the threat.
Just watched Pedro strike out Beltran on an MLB Network live look-in. Don't know if he stared the inning. From what I saw though, runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs, bottom of the 8th, Cubs up over the Cards 3-0, so Beltran is the trying run. On a 1-0 pitch Pedro throws a wild pitch, both runners move up. 2-0 count. Pedro throws a breaking pitch for a called strike and then gets Beltran to swing at strikes 2 and 3, both nasty but also out of the zone.

:o So how did Pedro look to you OFFNY?

:o So how did Pedro look to you OFFNY?

He looked terrible for the first 2 pitches, then good for the next 3.

He was fortunate the Beltran chased a high fastball on the 2-1 count. You don't want to be doing favors for a guy with the control problems that Strop has had for the better part of this entire season.

He looked terrible for the first 2 pitches, then good for the next 3.

He was fortunate the Beltran chased a high fastball on the 2-1 count. You don't want to be doing favors for a guy with the control problems that Strop has had for the better part of this entire season.

:D

Beltran is a great hitter and those last two pitches were outside the zone. Watching Adam Jones constantly flailing away at pitches out of the zone it makes me wonder just how different those type of pitches must look when you are in the batters box as opposed to watching on TV.

Archived