Davis addresses PEDs issue straight on

Tony-OH

In a great piece by Dan Connolly of The Sun, Chris Davis answer his critics on the question of PEDs.

I applaud Davis for being completely open about his testing as well as the feeling on the matter.

I also find it interesting that he feels Roger Maris owns the true record.

"I think when McGwire and Sosa did what they did in 1998, it was awesome to watch. And then when all the stuff came out with the PEDs and all of that, it was really disheartening," said Davis, who was 12 in 1998. "And if there are people that want to get upset with me saying that 61 is still, in my opinion, the single season record, I'm entitled to my own opinions and own beliefs. I was a fan before I played this game at the big league level, and I think what Roger Maris did is still considered by a lot of people to be the legitimate home run record."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a great piece by Dan Connolly of The Sun, Chris Davis answer his critics on the question of PEDs.

I applaud Davis for being completely open about his testing as well as the feeling on the matter.

"I think when McGwire and Sosa did what they did in 1998, it was awesome to watch. And then when all the stuff came out with the PEDs and all of that, it was really disheartening," said Davis, who was 12 in 1998. "And if there are people that want to get upset with me saying that 61 is still, in my opinion, the single season record, I'm entitled to my own opinions and own beliefs. I was a fan before I played this game at the big league level, and I think what Roger Maris did is still considered by a lot of people to be the legitimate home run record."

Sounds like Crush is a traditionalist and the records set under the shorter season are the true records.

Nice candor about something that most fans agree with, but maybe not all pro-players would say publicly.

The steroid era turned a lot of fans off. Including me. Now I was slightly older in 98 than Davis was, but after Ripken retired, I got pretty disgusted at what the rest of the MLB looked like. The strike shortened season pushed people away, lured them back with "The Chase for 62" and then put a cigarette out on their heart when all these guys were juicing.

Baseball has me back now, but so help me if I find out Manny or Davis or Chen or Flaherty are cheating. When that day comes, we are never never never getting back together.

Sounds like Crush is a traditionalist and the records set under the shorter season are the true records.

I am not understanding what you wrote here. Davis said that he believes that Maris holds the record. The length of the season has not changed since them. He may be a traditionalist in that he does not believe that PED users should hold the record, but it does not appear that he is saying anything about the length of the season. I am guessing that what you said is your view point and not what you think Davis' is.

Unfortunately, Davis could pee in a cup, while having his blood drawn on live TV; pass all tests regarding it and it still won't matter. There are still going to be fans and guys like Rick Reilly that want to cheapen his amazing season by dismissing it to PED use.

Much like Shakespeare writing "The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children", the sins of players in the steroid era are being laid upon today's players.

The Maris year was the 1st year they went to the 162 game schedule. Traditionalists of the time of course argued that Ruth's record still holds because he did it in a 154 game schedule. Maris almost did it within 154 games but got stuck on 59 HR. He finally tied and broke the record after the 154 game record was safely preserved.

I've always agreed with Crush that the record is Maris' And I am certainly not a roid hysteric. I think they should be allowed. But the fact is the HR record was aided by PED's and we have no idea what it would be if it had not been, So for me Maris is the record I can be sure of. As far as Davis and PED's go, I totally believe him, but sadly there are a whole lot of players using PED's today who can also say," I have passed every test"

Unfortunately, Davis could pee in a cup, while having his blood drawn on live TV; pass all tests regarding it and it still won't matter. There are still going to be fans and guys like Rick Reilly that want to cheapen his amazing season by dismissing it to PED use.

Much like Shakespeare writing "The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children", the sins of players in the steroid era are being laid upon today's players.

I hear ya, but how many of us are still saying that Batista and his Blow Jay teammates are juicers? We believe Chris because he's ours. Other fans will not have the same reasons for believing in him, and thus will question him.

He just needs to keep on keeping on and he'll be fine!

I hear ya, but how many of us are still saying that Batista and his Blow Jay teammates are juicers? We believe Chris because he's ours. Other fans will not have the same reasons for believing in him, and thus will question him.

How many roid driven diva performances have we seen from Crush?

Well, we know Melky is a cheater...:D

I can't speak to what other fans think or feel but I don't throw out the PED stuff on a whim. IMO, it's lazy and irresponsible but to each their own.

And I don't say the Jays are juicing, they just steal signs at Skydome. LOL

Well, we know Melky is a cheater...:D

I can't speak to what other fans think or feel but I don't throw out the PED stuff on a whim. IMO, it's lazy and irresponsible but to each their own.

And I don't say the Jays are juicing, they just steal signs at Skydome. LOL

Are you saying the notion that Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa, were on steroids, is whimsical? ,

Archived