Could Tillman be the Orioles 1st 20 Game Winner in a long time?

Roll Tide

Will Tillman Win 20 this year?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tillman Win 20 this year?

• Yes he Will!
    • Possibly he has a good chance
    • Chances are small he'd make it
    • No way

Not that I did/do want to trade Tillman for Butler. But I'd be perfectly fine penciling in a 120 OPS+ every day at DH for the next five years. I would rather have someone who can't field and knows it, rather than 13 or 14 players on the roster who all think they're too good to DH and Buck treats the spot as a rotating thing to keep anyone from having to do it all the time (and getting abysmal production out of it).

Well, he would be like a right handed Ortiz.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have complained if we had traded the closest thing to a top of the rotation pitcher for any DH.

To be fair, Tillman only had a half-season of quality production at that point and his peripherals were a bit iffy. But trading a guy his age with his potential and 4 or 5 years of team control remaining for a DH-type would've been madness IMO. Even if I like both of those aforementioned DH-types and wouldn't mind having either of them hitting 5th for us right now. Just not at that price. Thankfully DD played it cautiously(correctly).

I came home and saw the box score (only heard parts on the radio) and my first thought was Tillman still got the win...haha...that is great!

6 wins in 10 remaining starts, right? He has a shot at least.

A 20-6 finish would be awesome.

I came home and saw the box score (only heard parts on the radio) and my first thought was Tillman still got the win...haha...that is great!

6 wins in 10 remaining starts, right? He has a shot at least.

A 20-6 finish would be awesome.

I absolutely agree. He might even have a 4.20 ERA to go with 20 wins, I normally associate 20 win pitchers as the typical low ERA guys, but I know thats not the case.

All I know is that the O's need to win tonight. None of this win 2, lose 1 stuff. Sox and Rays are no longer winning every single night and it's time to take advantage!

WIN DAMNIT!

We haven't had a long winning streak yet ... Hopefully we are due. As a side not I believe we've played 2-3 less games than Boston

I dont know if Tillman will win 20, but just think about this.

Jim Palmer won 20 games...wait for it.......8 times!

Last year, there were only 4 20 game winners in all of baseball.

In those 8 years, working in a 4-man rotation, he averaged a shade over 38 starts and won 55.2% of the games he started. In today's world of the 5-man rotation, very good pitchers typically make 32 or 33 starts. Winning 55.2% of those starts would mean a pitcher today would have to win 18 games to win at the same rate that Palmer did.

Loved watching Palmer pitch. Just sayin'.

I don't know if Tillman will win 20, but just think about this; Jim Palmer won 20 games ... wait for it ....... 8 times! Last year, there were only 4 20-game winners in all of baseball.

8 times in 9 years, also.

I remember when he had the elbow problems in 1974, which was the lone exception.

His E.R.A. was under 3 in all 8 of those 20-or-more-win seasons without fail, too.

And in 1974 when he went 7-12 (the only year that he didn't win 20 or more games in that 9-year stretch), he still had 5 complete games and 2 shutouts, which would be a candidate for the league lead in today's game.

I dont know if Tillman will win 20, but just think about this.

Jim Palmer won 20 games...wait for it.......8 times!

Last year, there were only 4 20 game winners in all of baseball.

In those 8 years, working in a 4-man rotation, he averaged a shade over 38 starts and won 55.2% of the games he started. In today's world of the 5-man rotation, very good pitchers typically make 32 or 33 starts. Winning 55.2% of those starts would mean a pitcher today would have to win 18 games to win at the same rate that Palmer did.

Loved watching Palmer pitch. Just sayin'.

I know Tony will hate this, but if Jim Palmer pitched 25 years later I think the most likely outcome is that his career would look a lot like Mike Mussina's.

Archived