Why can't we trade for Chris Sale?

bt12483

Exactly. So... why would the Sox trade a current cost-controlled young ace for a potential future ace? Unless you're going to trade a bunch of additional stuff along with the potential ace. Or the Sox know something about his injury probabilities that we don't...

Value. They can get a potential future ace AND other players.

Some of their best players are old. They are struggling. They might be in rebuild mode, and that will potentially waste a significant portion of Sale's prime with their current squad.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, maybe if they got a good deal they could acquire someone who'd one day become a 24-year-old cost-controlled ace.
who'd MAYBE become a 24-year-old cost-controlled ace.

We have a bunch of guys that were supposed to become that. None did.

Sale is that. Right now. We are competitive, right now.

Yeah, but Drungo is looking at it from the CHISOX perspective. I can't imagine them trading Sale for the exact reason that he is a 24-year-old cost-controlled ace. He's a player that you can still build around. They have other pieces that they can trade. They just made a trade with the BOSOX today parting with a lefty reliever.

Obviously, if Sale is available Duquette will be inquiring. Gausman and Bundy would not, IMHO, come close to getting it done. Much more would need to be added to include actual talent from our current 25-man roster. They'll initially ask for Machado - that's a non-starter - but they may ask for a Tillman or Gonzo. Ultimately, as great as a pick-up Sale would be, I just can't imagine we'd be able to pull it off but it's not because of any restrictions coming from the owner, etc., again, IMHO.

Then why would CHI trade him for that?

I don't know. Ask CHI. Apparently they are not opposed to hearing offers for Sale, which is why I started this thread.

If they are willing to listen, they will hear offers from a plurality of teams.

I just hate knowing that this guy might be available, but our team as currently owned/operated would never go all in for him.

Think about what Bedard cost the Mariners, but like, more. Since Sale is younger and has a better track record than Bedard did.

Value. They can get a potential future ace AND other players.

A lot of their best players are old. They are struggling. They appear to be in rebuild mode, and will potentially waste a significant portion of Sale's prime with their current squad.

Sale is signed to a very reasonable deal through his age 30 season in 2019. If it takes them half that time to rebuild (in the AL Central in a world with multiple wildcards) then trading Chris Sale for multiple prospects isn't even going to begin to fix what's wrong. The only reason I can see them being in a mood to trade him is that they believe the reports that he's an arm injury waiting to happen.

I am exceedingly skeptical of the idea of trading multiple top prospects for a guy who should be exactly what a rebuilding team needs to rebuild around, but instead wants to trade for someone else with a lower probability of success.

Think about what Bedard cost the Mariners, but like, more. Since Sale is younger and has a better track record than Bedard did.

I am aware it would be very expensive.

But I am not attached to prospects as much as others are. Prospects are exactly that: prospects. When is the last time one of our pitching prospects lived up to their potential? I have little faith in our pitching development.

Why not go all in for a young, proven pitcher?

I don't know. Ask CHI. Apparently they are not opposed to hearing offers for Sale, which is why I started this thread.

If they are willing to listen, they will hear offers from a plurality of teams.

Hey Kenny, why would you trade Sale for this package that some Internet guy says is a no brainer for BAL?

He didn't answer. Why don't you try to answer it since this is your thread?

Sale is worth more than Bedard was. He's younger, hasn't shown himself to be injury prone, and is cost-controlled through 2019 (age 30). It would take a truckload of talent to get him.

Which is why I doubt he goes anywhere. It's a gigantic risk to trade a massive haul for one pitcher. If you're trading 2-3 top 100 prospects plus some other stuff... I hate trades like that. That's how Glenn Davis deals happen. Or Bedard deals.

But I am not attached to prospects as much as others are. Prospects are exactly that: prospects. When is the last time one of our pitching prospects lived up to their potential? I have little faith in our pitching development.

When's the last time the O's had an ace they acquired from elsewhere? How do you know Sale will continue to be good and healthy in an organization that hasn't had an ace of any kind for more than a decade?

Do you think the Mariners are better off having made the Bedard trade, or worse off?

Pitchers are notoriously fickle. Things happen. Look at Lincecum now, who would have predicted that? Better to not take too big of a risk.

I too, have little faith in our ability to develop pitchers. Which is why I think our strategy should be to bring in guys like Chen and Gonzalez

Sale is signed to a very reasonable deal through his age 30 season in 2019. If it takes them half that time to rebuild (in the AL Central in a world with multiple wildcards) then trading Chris Sale for multiple prospects isn't even going to begin to fix what's wrong. The only reason I can see them being in a mood to trade him is that they believe the reports that he's an arm injury waiting to happen.

I am exceedingly skeptical of the idea of trading multiple top prospects for a guy who should be exactly what a rebuilding team needs to rebuild around, but instead wants to trade for someone else with a lower probability of success.

What pitcher isn't an "arm injury waiting to happen"?

Teams will do their homework. The market will set itself up unless someone blows it up with a crazy offer. If he is such damaged goods that will just make him cheaper to acquire.

Our pitching history does not provide me with faith that any of our own prospects will develop into a Sale-like pitcher.

Chris Sale is an arm injury waiting to happen.

Chris_Sale062812.jpg

A crazy pic, & I think many are worried he may suffer from Lincecumitis down the road, but I do think he justifies the cost of what it would take to obtain him (& no I don't think a trade to the O's would actually ever happen).

Archived