Rosenthal: Bedard to Mariners 1 player from completion

8ripken2131

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7656588

He says Jones, Sherrill, Triunfel, and Tillman are names being discussed.

The title of the thread, plus your synopsis, made it sound like we were getting all 4 of these guys and discussing one more player. I'm sure that's not what you intended to convey. Here is what Rosenthal said:

Bedard: A trade between the Orioles and Mariners is only one player away from completion, major-league sources say, but that one player could be right-hander Chris Tillman, a 19-year-old that the M's would prefer to retain.

Outfielder Adam Jones would be the centerpiece of the deal for the Orioles, and left-handed reliever George Sherrill and 17-year-old shortstop Carlos Triunfel are among the other players under discussion.

Pull the trigger NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

BB says we are looking for a 5th. Are we getting greedy and trying to get Chen?

Why not

Jones

Clement

Tillman

Triunfel

Chen

Marshall

Gallagher

Cedeno

Murton

we could almost field an entire team and trade 2 guys.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever written.

Maybe Kenny is reading OH also???????:cool:

Triunfel is a nice gamble to take, but keep in mind, a few years ago Ed Rogers was a hotshot 19 year old SS prospect that couldn't miss either. Let's just hope we bat at least .600 on the young players we are getting back this offseason.

No, Ed Rogers was a mediocre 22-year old SS prospect who was elevated to "hotshot" status because he had lied about his age and said he was 19. Assuming Triunfel is really 17, his perfomance truly is remarkable.

I'm starting to believe that while the Roberts deal is "done", it's done in principle awaiting the results of the Bedard trade, and that it's a mistake to view the Roberts trade in isolation, or the Bedard trade in isolation. One will influence the other, and it's likely that the higher value trade of Bedard will occur first before AM completes the deal already agreed upon in principle with Hendry. Only if AM gets what he thinks he will get for Bedard will the reported Roberts trade occur.

In short, AM told Hendry, if what happens with Bedard is what I want, will you give me these players for Roberts? Hendry said yes, (thus the reports) and we're waiting now for the Bedard thing to flesh out before the reported Roberts trade can occur.

I think this is a very good analysis and one of the first thing's i've read today that makes any sense out of this mess. This could be why the "smoke screen's" have been put up by the Orioles "officials". I wondered why they would put up said smoke screen's if a deal was in fact done, but if a Bedard deal is close and that player in limbo effects the Cubs deal then that makes perfect sense.

Ugh, I hate this deal. Jones as the centerpiece is fine, but the rest of the deal I'm not wild about.

A 17 year old SS & a 19 year old pitcher, there is way too much risk involved there, IMO.

and I have zero interest in Sherill. He's unproven as a closer and if he fails in that role, we won't get closer value for him if we try to spin him.

What happened to Clement? Jones + Clement and the teenagers is one thing, that gives us two MLB ready prospects. I'd rather flip Clement for a SS closer to being MLB ready, rather than take a chance on a 17 year old paning out.

The title of the thread, plus your synopsis, made it sound like we were getting all 4 of these guys and discussing one more player. I'm sure that's not what you intended to convey. Here is what Rosenthal said:

Yeah, I'm sorry if my initial post was misleading. I've edited it now, so hopefully that will clear up any confusion.

Maybe I'm naive (or just plain dumb), but wouldn't A. Jones plus any 1 of those other prospects be a good deal for us?

Uh...no.

No, seriously. It might seem fair if you ASSUME the ceiling of the players will be attained. But you can't operate like that. Too much risk...

Ugh, I hate this deal. Jones as the centerpiece is fine, but the rest of the deal I'm not wild about.

A 17 year old SS & a 19 year old pitcher, there is way too much risk involved there, IMO.

and I have zero interest in Sherill. He's unproven as a closer and if he fails in that role, we won't get closer value for him if we try to spin him.

What happened to Clement? Jones + Clement and the teenagers is one thing, that gives us two MLB ready prospects. I'd rather flip Clement for a SS closer to being MLB ready, rather than take a chance on a 17 year old paning out.

I don't hate this deal, cause there is ton of potential to it, but I think the results will just take longer. Maybe around 2011-2012 instead of maybe 2010 or even 2009.

I'd much prefer Jones, Clement, Sherrill, and Tillman with a trade of Clement for either a top SS or any other top prospect for that matter.

Tillman and Triunfel have their risks, but I think they'll be good players down the road, even though it's almost impossible to read Triunfel because of his age. I definitly wouldn't mind taking the risk, but it would be something I'd definitly have to mull over for a little while before I finally made a decision.

Uh...no.

No, seriously. It might seem fair if you ASSUME the ceiling of the players will be attained. But you can't operate like that. Too much risk...

Yeah, you're right, but it seems that Jones has proven himself worth the risk. Plus, there are risks with Bedard, too. He spent the last months of the season on the DL...

Is this a deal we would like if it were that 4 for 1?(not saying it is)

Triunfel and Tillman are high ceiling, very good prospects...Problem is, they are very young and very far away.

All we end up here is a dominant LOOGY(who could close) and Jones to help us immediately...And I know we don't need guys for this year persay but ML ready guys who aren't big question marks are important in a deal for Bedard IMO.

Archived