Boras: Wieters may Test Free Agency

Rene88

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe now's the time to lock him up long-term - now that his value is likely down. Personally, while everyone is replacable, I think it'd be hard to replace him. I think they over-use him, and he'd likely hit significantly better if they didn't.

Granted, his bat has been disappointing. I still would like to sign him a cheap long term deal. As some have pointed out, we may be able to get him cheaper since he has been disappointing this year.

It's not as though we have anyone waiting in the wings to be our starting catcher that is a significant improvement.

I hate that term. What does it mean to "test" free agency. You either are or you aren't.

It's similar to taking a "break" with your girlfriend, you see what other girls want you and if none of them are up to par, you go back to your old gf.

I like Matt for what he is. I wouldn't mind him signing a long term deal to stay with the Orioles. To be honest though, at this point let him test free agency. I mean he is what he is. A guy that hits average to sometimes slightly above average for a catcher. He's been a great defender but even that is down this year. I guess I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him go, if someone wants to break the bank for him.

Matt has had a rough first half, BUT

his BABIP right now is 40 points under his career average.

His walk rate has dropped from but his strike outs are down as well.

His LD% is up over last year; his IP% is up over last year. His X/H% XBH% are all up from last year. His homerun rate is a little down.

Bottom Line, Wieters' hits have found a lot of gloves.

Matt has had a rough first half, BUT

his BABIP right now is 40 points under his career average.

His walk rate has dropped from but his strike outs are down as well.

His LD% is up over last year; his IP% is up over last year. His X/H% XBH% are all up from last year. His homerun rate is a little down.

Bottom Line, Wieters' hits have found a lot of gloves.

I am honestly more concerned about the decline in his defense.

Archived