Boras: Wieters may Test Free Agency

Rene88

I like what Roch wrote about for Wieters:

I will forever preach the value of catcher Matt Wieters beyond his offensive statistics, and anyone who understands baseball and the position he plays should appreciate what he brings every night. However, his .232/.291/.468 line in 88 games is disappointing.

Wieters is a career .289/.362/.489 hitter with 18 home runs in September/October, his highest numbers of any month. Maybe the best is yet to come.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/07/a-few-first-half-awards.html

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am honestly more concerned about the decline in his defense.

Defense for catchers is a weird thing. I mean I know what the numbers say but imagine you hadn't seen the numbers, is there any eye-test noticeable difference between his defense this year and last?

he is throwing out a higher percentage of baserunners, and he is roughly on pace to have the same amount of chances against him on that front. And that includes a couple of really bad calls at second that went against him for a couple weeks there. but that really doesn't mean anything.

He only has three errors so far this year, he had 10 all of last year. He has 30 assists already this year, he only had 52 all last year. The only numbers he is significantly off the pace for are RF/9 and RF/G which I guess has a major impact on his defensive runs saved.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wietema01.shtml#standard_fielding::none

Someone please explain to me how Wieters can be well above average in in the TOTAL ZONE FIELDING RUNS but so below average in DEFENSIVE RUNS SAVED, when it appears he has either improved upon, or statistically similar to all his past years?

I have noticed this, the stats from Baseball Info Solutions all seem to hate Wieters. I have tried to find explanations on some of these stats, and I know what they measure, but I don't know how they measure. The pitch framing stat for example - if the catcher frames the pitch and it is not called a strike, is that one against the catcher? I want to know how they are compiled.

Defense for catchers is a weird thing. I mean I know what the numbers say but imagine you hadn't seen the numbers, is there any eye-test noticeable difference between his defense this year and last?

he is throwing out a higher percentage of baserunners, and he is roughly on pace to have the same amount of chances against him on that front. And that includes a couple of really bad calls at second that went against him for a couple weeks there. but that really doesn't mean anything.

He only has three errors so far this year, he had 10 all of last year. He has 30 assists already this year, he only had 52 all last year. The only numbers he is significantly off the pace for are RF/9 and RF/G which I guess has a major impact on his defensive runs saved.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wietema01.shtml#standard_fielding::none

Someone please explain to me how Wieters can be well above average in in the TOTAL ZONE FIELDING RUNS but so below average in DEFENSIVE RUNS SAVED, when it appears he has either improved upon, or statistically similar to all his past years?

I also have a hard time understanding, how so many people can judge one person so differently.

We have the one side, he is an outstanding defensive catcher with strong arm.

Then you have the side, he sucks @ defensive and can't wait for him to be gone.

But Montero isn't hitting this year.

Neither is Matt, which is what makes it a pretty accurate comparison.

While he's been good behind the dish, like many others, I've been extremely disappointed at his offensive contributions. If he leaves, I won't be terribly disappointed and even though Teagarden is our only other option, if there is another team that values Matt similarly to how everyone valued him two-three years ago, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

I also think that given his lack of athleticism, a position change would be difficult for him.

I remember when I said Wieters was an under-performing money grubber with greed. I got slammed, but I think we will be seeing more stories like this that escalate the closer we get to arbitration and free agency.

This is a guy who clearly takes his money, very, very seriously. With the Boras thing and all that stuff.

You don't know jack squat about what is important to Matt Wieters, and I will continue to slam you for making statements about things you know nothing about. If you think he's an underperformer, I don't mind your saying so, but you have no basis at all to say he's a "money grubber with greed" "who takes his money very, very seriously."

I agree, they will probably work something out in 2014. Something reasonable, I hope.
Wieters is having a down year offensively and the O's are probably lukewarm about extension currently. Boras probably knows his client wants to stay, so he is making threats of FA to get the O's worried. I think when Matt has his arb. negotiations in the fall the extension talk will heat up, and it will depend a lot on what he would be expected to get in arb. next year.

I like Matt for what he is. I wouldn't mind him signing a long term deal to stay with the Orioles. To be honest though, at this point let him test free agency. I mean he is what he is. A guy that hits average to sometimes slightly above average for a catcher. He's been a great defender but even that is down this year. I guess I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him go, if someone wants to break the bank for him.

i think the cost will play a major role. Wieters is not worth superstar money.

The last thing Matt Wieters is, is a money grubber. He could be one of the most humble players Ive met in a decade, and trust me, its no put on.

If that's the case, then maybe we can afford all three. I mean...it's not like we'll be spending any money on pitching any time soon

Archived