Sorry, but the Home Run Derby is a Bore

Frobby

They should do it just like the old show in the 60s. Nine inning game, three outs an inning. If I were in charge, the each team would get four hitters. The leadoff guy would bat in the 1st, 5th and 9th innings giving him nine outs. Every one else gets two "innings" of three outs (2-6,3-7,4-8).

It would be much more exciting, especially if the game was close and a lot faster.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's absolutely a bore. Watching these guys take pitch after pitch until the perfect one comes up is horrible.

Here's my solution. AL vs NL. Four batters per team, three outs per inning. Bring out a pitching machine so there's no concerns over BP pitchers. If a batter let's a strike go by it's a strike. If he let's three strikes go by in his inning it's an out. Every batter gets two innings (2-6, 3-7, 4-8) but your best one gets a third inning in the 9th (1-5-9). Make it a game and it might be fun again. If it's tied, it goes into extra innings with the number two hitter now taking over the 10th, 3 in the 11th, 4 in the 12th and so on until the tie is broken.

I'd watch this.

They should do it just like the old show in the 60s. Nine inning game, three outs an inning. If I were in charge, the each team would get four hitters. The leadoff guy would bat in the 1st, 5th and 9th innings giving him nine outs. Every one else gets two "innings" of three outs (2-6,3-7,4-8).

It would be much more exciting, especially if the game was close and a lot faster.

Ha, I didn't even noticed this was an old thread! Guess I still think this is a good idea! ;)

I thought about just making this comment in the Chris Davis HR Derby thread, but it deserves separate discussion. It has been years since I watched more than a few minutes of the HR Derby, which I had decided was overly long and tedious. I made an exception last night because Chris Davis was in it. And you know what? The HR Derby is overly long and tedious. So overly long and tedious, in fact, that during the second round they weren't even showing the competiton half the time, instead training their cameras on Mike Pizza or whatever other current or former player they happen to be interviewing. The interviews are fine, but couldn't they at least do a PIP so that anyone who actually cares about the competition can watch what's going on.

And another thing -- Chris Berman's shtick has gotten very old. You can't treat every 400 foot HR off a BP pitcher as if it's some once-in-a-lifetime shot, and then do it again 30 seconds later.

If they are going to continue the HR Derby, it needs to be no more than 90 minutes long. In the second round, give everyone 10 swings, not 10 outs. Or, give them a set number of swings and decide who goes to the finals based on distance, not the number of homers. Or, use a pitching machine set on 95 mph. Anything to shake this up a little.

I was standing directly next the batting cage yesterday while the prospects were taking BP before the Futures game. I saw Javier Baez put it into the third deck in left (unbelievable) and that was nothing compared to the show Joey Gallo put on. He put two out of the stadium, multiple balls into the second deck in rich center, and busted the windshield of a pickup truck on the concourse well beyond the right field wall. It was perhaps the most incredible performance I've seen, in any capacity, at a major league park. I would have watched him take BP by himself for 90 minutes.

My vantage point:

10553556_10204338498162987_3708164114902230141_n.jpg

I grew up loving the HR Derby and I still do. I'm only (almost) 20 years old though so I fit into that demographic that Drungo brought up. I wouldn't mind them changing up some of the rules though or trying to incorporate other competitions like a "Golden Arm" throwing competition.

The whole tournament/head to head set up is so pointless. Each participant should get their one turn and be done. 10 "outs" for all eight players. The winner might be the guy who goes first or it may be the one who goes last. This would have prevented the laughable injustice to Josh Hamiltion a few years ago as well.

I'd change it to a bunch of fast guys, like Ichiro, Hamilton, whomever. Then put some 15-year-olds in the field with the outfield stationed at normal depth, maybe paint some spots in the outfield where they have to start. Then have inside-the-park home run derby.

Or how about a bunt contest? Have targets in the infield where you have to place your bunts for various point totals.

Or a 25th-man pitching contest. Each team (ok, probably need to limit this to fewer than that) gets to choose a backup catcher/outfielder/infielder, and they get to pitch an inning to the other league's All Star team with their league's All Star defense behind them. Fewest runs allowed gets a bronze bust of Chris Davis.

There have to be ways to make the All Star game exiciting without raising the ire of the risk-averse.

The worst part of this, and of the Sunday night game, is that it forces me to watch ESPN. I am beyond sick of all the last All Star game for Jeter hype. "Will someone groove Jeter a HR pitch so he can go out like Ripken in 2001?" has been discussed a few different times. Then, it's well Jeter still won't hit one out, but "in what other scenario can Jeter go out as AS MVP?" "What will the A.L. do to honor Jeter during the game?

:puke::puke:

The worst part of this, and of the Sunday night game, is that it forces me to watch ESPN. I am beyond sick of all the last All Star game for Jeter hype. "Will someone groove Jeter a HR pitch so he can go out like Ripken in 2001?" has been discussed a few different times. Then, it's well Jeter still won't hit one out, but "in what other scenario can Jeter go out as AS MVP?" "What will the A.L. do to honor Jeter during the game?

:puke::puke:

It's the least we can do for the greatest human being of our era. Or maybe any era.

My only question is whether they'll amend the constitution to save Jeter from the indignity of having to be elected President (as opposed to just being sworn in by general acclaim) and see the handful of wackos and malcontents who won't vote for him as some kind of sick joke.

It's the least we can do for the greatest human being of our era. Or maybe any era.

My only question is whether they'll amend the constitution to save Jeter from the indignity of having to be elected President (as opposed to just being sworn in by general acclaim) and see the handful of wackos and malcontents who won't vote for him as some kind of sick joke.

How long until they start talking about waving the five year wait for HoF induction?

Archived