So why hasn't Brob been traded?

pactman12

I came on this morning and saw the front page saying that Brob was traded....but he wasn't.

If the title was CLOSE to being traded or NEAR being traded would have been fine. But it actually said he was traded.

Anybody wanna clue me in on why the information given was the wrong information.

The front office and Orioles officials said it was completely inaccurate, so why was the Hangout reporting this as true?

Sometimes I get tired of hearing all the conjecture and "predictions" from our "insiders" when often the only thing that comes true is them calling the trade an hour before it happens.

Now I will be happy if this trade is true, but to report it as fact before it has happened, especially when AM and the front office deny the reports, is very unprofessional.

Sorry for expressing my frustration, I am sure you will all bash me now for expressing an unpopular opinion.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I came on this morning and saw the front page saying that Brob was traded....but he wasn't.

If the title was CLOSE to being traded or NEAR being traded would have been fine. But it actually said he was traded.

Anybody wanna clue me in on why the information given was the wrong information.

The front office and Orioles officials said it was completely inaccurate, so why was the Hangout reporting this as true?

Sometimes I get tired of hearing all the conjecture and "predictions" from our "insiders" when often the only thing that comes true is them calling the trade an hour before it happens.

Now I will be happy if this trade is true, but to report it as fact before it has happened, especially when AM and the front office deny the reports, is very unprofessional.

Sorry for expressing my frustration, I am sure you will all bash me now for expressing an unpopular opinion.

Well, if you perused any of the threads that have been started today before creating a new thread, you might have learned why this was the case to begin with.

The trade has been confirmed by four different sources, and is possibly being held up by MLB because this is Goose Gossage's day to be in the sun. It may be that the deal is not finished. It may be that there are multiple factors. One thing I can tell you for sure is that Tony would not run with information he believed to be untrue.

And to report something as fact before it happens officially is called a "scoop". You know, when something is reported first?

The OP might have a point re: part of his post if there was no way to find out without reading a couple hundred posts. But that's not required. If he just looked at the main OH page, he would have seen a brief update as of 10:45pm.

Now, the update doesn't go through all the details, but that's because we don't know any details. All we have is umpteen pages of conjecture. So, while the front-page update is brief, it does include the actual facts known to the rest of us. Now, if the OP wants to hear all the speculation, but without having to read a lot of stuff, well then he should hire a personal spoon-feeder.

As for the OP's poor-him attitude about how frustrated he is, well, *yawn*...

I don't have a *poor me* attitude, I just wanted to understand why the reports from the Hangout and those from the FO were so different if the trade's completion was *100% verified* by multiple sources.

It just seems to me that if the trade was already *done*, AM and the FO wouldn't be so hasty to report it as *completely inaccurate*.

And how do any of these explain why AM and the front office has called it completely inaccurate?

Also, not announcing it bc Goose got into the Hall is quite a reach.

Yeah it's a reach, just like when trades are frowned upon during the playoffs...

And when no news is announced on HOF induction day...

And, it's inaccurate! Of course it is! Why would they say, "Yeah we made this trade, and this guy knows about it." before it is official? Because, you do know that MLB has to put their rubber stamp on all trades... right?

Sorry you're frustrated, but if you don't want to be frustrated, read the Sun I guess, or put insiders on ignore. I dunno any other way to do it.

I don't have a *poor me* attitude, I just wanted to understand why the reports from the Hangout and those from the FO were so different if the trade's completion was *100% verified* by multiple sources.

It just seems to me that if the trade was already *done*, AM and the FO wouldn't be so hasty to report it as *completely inaccurate*.

Duh. That's exactly what everybody is wondering. Can't you read? The answer is that nobody knows. Multiple sources confirmed it, but the teams say it's not true. Nobody has an explanation. It's what's known as "a mystery".

It never fails to make me laugh at how many adults act like children when it comes to patience with these things.

Look, I'm as dissappointed as anyone else that it hasn't gone down yet, I wish it had. But to whine and moan about it doesn't fix anything and doesn't make the trade go through.

And no one has the answers.

I know I'm not the poster child for maturity in all aspects, but jeez...I know Tony just isn't making stuff up and I know he crosschecks the insiders and their contacts to make sure they're legit. Have a little faith, people.

I'm just guessing that the deal is almost done, but MacPhail is going to tell you up until the announcement that the deal is not really close to being done no matter what ESPN is reporting, Mr. Ken Rosentahl or what OH is reporting.

And not meaning to bash people on this board, but just a few weeks ago, I remember Kirk Herbstreit reported from his sources that Les Miles was leaving for his alma mater, Michigan. Only hours later to have that shot down by Les Miles himself. And Herby was reporting pretty much like it was a done deal.

MacPhail really wants to get these deals done so he can move on to moving the smaller pieces of the team. So I think he will get these deals done. But you just have to be patient because I am sure that throughout the rest of this offseason, and before the trading deadline during the season, MacPhail will have a myriad of quotes such as, "We're talking to several teams about several of our players" or "We're talking to other teams, but nothing is close as of right now." He's not going to come out and say that there was fire to the smoke caused by the rumors. He's going to time and time again, deny reports and rumors unlike Vanessa Hudgens when her photos came out. He's going to give vague answers to questions by the media but with a positive spin.

As for the deals, if we can grab 4 out of 5 of the Mariner's top 10 prospects with 3 coming from the top 5, that would do wonders for our farm system. Then to add whatever may come from the Roberts deal which the details seem to be up in limbo right now, I am sure we'll have a completely new outlook on what is to come in the near future.

I have read through the main posts up until about 11:30 last night and I am still confused as to what really happened yesterday. I understand AM not wanting to say that the deals were almost done or anything like that, but to say what he and other FO officials kind of has me perplexed as to why they are making it seem like nothing is even remotely close.

But I don't understand why people have to be so nasty in their respons to you. I know if they were in your shoes they would not appreciate that type of response.

I have read through the main posts up until about 11:30 last night and I am still confused as to what really happened yesterday. I understand AM not wanting to say that the deals were almost done or anything like that, but to say what he and other FO officials kind of has me perplexed as to why they are making it seem like nothing is even remotely close.

But I don't understand why people have to be so nasty in their respons to you. I know if they were in your shoes they would not appreciate that type of response.

Here is a line from the OP..."Sometimes I get tired of hearing all the conjecture and "predictions" from our "insiders" when often the only thing that comes true is them calling the trade an hour before it happens."

The reason we are ticked is because we hear this all the time from people. The bottom line is, if you don't want to hear "rumors" or "predictions" and talk about them in a fun and mature way, then just sit back and wait for your precious little ESPN to run the story on the bottom of their screen. Why come on here and cry about a "so-called" false headline? If you don't like it here, then don't come back. That's why we get nasty. This is OUR hangout, the place we waste away hours a day. So we take it personally when people bash it. Again, as I said many, MANY times yesterday, Tony would have taken the story down if he didn't fully believe his sources to be 100% accurate. If you don't like that answer, then I'm sorry!

The front page clearly states:

"Several sources have indicated that the trade of All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts to the Cubs has been finalized. However, the Orioles have denied this rumor and have called it "inaccurate."

That's exactly what we know.

This has been a frustrating 24 hours for a lot of us, but things will eventually shake out one way or the other and then some people will have some explaining to do because something was just not right about all of this.

one of the holdups in making this deal offical could be the Orioles need to make room on their roster. If you trade 2 guys ,assuming bedard is also close, for 7 guys that's 5 roster spots that have to open up.

Maybe one of the guys in the Roberts trade is being sent off to Seattle in a Bedard trade. There are tons of scenarios why this deal is still un-offical.

We won't know the scoop till it's done, so hold on tight and enjoy the ride:)

I doubt this whole incident could have been handled any better. Many sites would have deleated threads and pulled the headline and tried to act like this never happened. There has been no back peddling, or attempt to rewrite history here. I'm sure Tony and crew have taken a bashing from many directions over this, but have had the professionalism and integrity to let events remain as posted, warts and all.

One more thing, I have gained a ton of respect for many of the long time posters on here the past few days. The publicity brought about by all of this has led to a rash of first time postings from "outsiders" with no agenda but to bash the HO in a rude and insulting manner. On most chat boards they would have been blasted with insults and profanity, or else banned instantly and their postings deleated, but such jabs here have gotten them nothing but intelligent rebutal and mature restraint, and they quickly go away. Makes this old man proud to be an Orioles fan and HO member! Keep up the good work folks!

Most of the posters responding to your post here completely misunderstood you. This has nothing to do with patience or trusting insiders. It has to do with professional journalism. Tony posted the trade as fact, not conjecture. RShack missed that point. The trade has not been verified as fact by any other media outlet or by the FO. It is only a scoop if it is true. It may be true, but it hasn't been verified. The professional thing to do is to remove the article or rewrite it completely. The OH took a leap and crossed a boundary that should not have been crossed: conjecture from "insiders" (whom I do not doubt have sources somehow connected) to published fact. A published article must be secure in its sources, completely confident. Keep in mind what Herbstreit experienced when he reported that Les Miles was gone to Mich. This has nothing to do with reading and enjoying what the insiders clue us into, this has to do with how far we accept it. Also, Bigbird has said that this deal, from his source inside the warehouse, is not done (as of late yesterday). Pact's post has nothing to do with patience for news, but how that news is reported, and what news is reported as fact.

Archived