So why hasn't Brob been traded?

pactman12

My only problem was with the headline to the front page story. I still don't see how anyone can claim "Roberts has been traded" without confirmation from the team that currently employs him, or the new employer, or the league that has approval of the trade?

Without confirmation from one of the above three, then roberts being traded is not "fact".

I agree with you that the headline probably should have been couched differently. But do you think that the Washington Post and NY Times got the White House to officially confirm everything they reported as fact during Watergate?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony-OH is taking a lot of heat here, but he's not the only one whose sources thought this was a done deal. JoeyR5, Peace21 also reported the same and Belkast started an appreciation (farewell) topic. In other words, there was a lot of smoke blowing from several directions, with the surprise being, the fire never materialized.

I have worked in the media for over 22 years. Yes there are media outlets that claim "facts" without confirmation from primary sources. I find this a bit misleading.

The only sources that could "confirm" the B-Rob trade are, The O's organization, the Cubs organization, or MLB. All other sources fall short in confirming the trade as "fact".

This is right on.

I agree with you that the headline probably should have been couched differently. But do you think that the Washington Post and NY Times got the White House to officially confirm everything they reported as fact during Watergate?

This is a red herring. This is a very bad argument. Woodward and Bernstein investigated Nixon corruption on the ground, with witnesses, documents, and for a very long time.

Tony-OH is taking a lot of heat here, but he's not the only one whose sources thought this was a done deal. JoeyR5, Peace21 also reported the same and Belkast started an appreciation (farewell) topic. In other words, there was a lot of smoke blowing from several directions, with the surprise being, the fire never materialized.

But it's acceptable on a message board what Joey, peace and others put there.

My only problem was with the headline to the front page story. I still don't see how anyone can claim "Roberts has been traded" without confirmation from the team that currently employs him, or the new employer, or the league that has approval of the trade?

Without confirmation from one of the above three, then roberts being traded is not "fact".

The headline read:

Sources: Roberts Trade to Cubs

Notice sources in front? It was always there. I never said this was announced by anyone offical and made it clear this was two confirmed sources. If anyone read more into then that's not my fault.

If they want to be credible, then they would report at as "sources claim this to be fact". You don't need BOTH sides to confirm. But I beleive you need at least one PRIMARY source.

If the Cubs had 'confirmed:, but the O's denied, no one would blame the reporter if the deal ultimatly did not happen. If you can't trust the imformation coming straight from one of the teams involved in the trade, then how can you trust?

Primary source is the key to this thing.

This is a red herring. This is a very bad argument. Woodward and Bernstein investigated Nixon corruption on the ground, with witnesses, documents, and for a very long time.

No it's not, this is baeball, not congressional hearings into a president. Get a grip. we had two good sources that gave me the same information and after repeatedly being asked "are you 100 percent sure" I was assurred they were.

I'm running a site dedicated to the Baltimore Orioles, not trying to get a pulitizer prive for investigative journalism. :rolleyes:

The headline read:

Notice sources in front? It was always there. I never said this was announced by anyone offical and made it clear this was two confirmed sources. If anyone read more into then that's not my fault.

I apoligize. I must have missed the sources part. I have no problem with the headline if that is the way it originally appeared.

If they want to be credible, then they would report at as "sources claim this to be fact". You don't need BOTH sides to confirm. But I beleive you need at least one PRIMARY source.

If the Cubs had 'confirmed:, but the O's denied, no one would blame the reporter if the deal ultimatly did not happen. If you can't trust the imformation coming straight from one of the teams involved in the trade, then how can you trust?

Primary source is the key to this thing.

Teams are not going to confirm trades until they are finalized by MLB. If you want to wait around around for that, you have every right to wait for ESPN or the Baltimore sun to announce the official trade.

Guest oriofan8
Teams are not going to confirm trades until they are finalized by MLB. If you want to wait around around for that, you have every right to wait for ESPN or the Baltimore sun to announce the official trade.

Touche' Tony !!

The headline read:

I appreciate Tony informing us exactly the way he did. He had reliable sources who told him this trade was done.

If the same thing happens tomorrow with Roberts or another player, I would hope Tony would do the exact same thing.

If I wanted to wait until the trade got confirmed by Major League Baseball, I'd read the Sun, or another major news outlet. I really appreciate any information I can get here on the Orioles, and I am capable of understanding that until an appropriate official confirms it, anything can happen.

Tony and our other insiders, keep up the good work! No matter what happens in this instance with the Brian Roberts situation, any information we get before it hits the mainstream press is greatly appreciated. Don't let any criticism of what you publish prevent you from saying what you believe is reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the speculation and inside sources stuff. Just as long as it is reported as so. If your headline said "Sources: B-Rob Traded to Cubs", then that's fine.

You know what's getting old.. Crap like this!

I DID NOT TAKE RUMORS FROM THIS BOARD AND RUN WITH IT AS NEWS!!!!

I have no idea why some people can't get this through their heads. I had two sources privately convey the information was 100 percent true and accurate. I did not just grab some stuff off this board and run with it.

You want to bash me go ahead, but get your darn facts straight!!

Talk about getting your knickers in a wad!

Look I know you've had a rough 24 but that is no reason to go off half cocked when YOU misread something. I saw reports on ESPN and Chicago news sites yesterday morning stating the trade as fact and siting OH as the source. THIS IS NOT A NEWS SOURCE IS IT? That is why I said the NEWS AGENCIES that ran with the story were being irresponsible! Not you or the HO.Go back and read your own darn board! I have said nothing but positive and supportive things about you and the HO in this and all threads.

You sir are the one who needs to get your darn facts straight!

Archived