So why hasn't Brob been traded?

pactman12

Speak for yourself about alienating fans. Also, why is it important to you that you identify yourself as "Die Hard"?

I don't think he was saying something by using the term "Diehard." Most people here are diehard, as opposed to casual, fans of baseball and, to an extent, the O's. Please, no more stirring the argument pot. If you have an issue with what Dipper said, please take it up via PM.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, regardless of personal opinions about this matter, I just wish there had been this much public discussion about whether it's right to reach conclusions based on what "sources" say before we started a whole dang war over in you-know-where.

I also hope that, once all the dust settles, we eventually find out exactly what the hell happened. I wonder if we will ever know.

Maybe I am being nitpicky, but since OH is not a journalistic institution, to the best of my knowledge they do not receive press passes to Orioles related events etc, you can post your "breaking news" a little more cautiously.

For instance, instead of posting "Roberts traded to Cubs", you can post "Sources: Roberts traded to Cubs". Much less misleading. I understand that your sources said it was 100%, and I understand that you really trusted your sources. But unless one of your sources is Andy MacPhail, Peter Angelos, Jim Hendry or Brian Roberts himself, its not recommended to report it as fact.

Anyways, this will probably sound like I am lecturing you. I am in no way telling you how to run your site. I really enjoy your site a lot, considering I am not even a fan of the team who is being discussed on the board. Just a helpful suggestion when you are 'breaking news' in the future.

You are not nitpicking, you are just plain wrong. We are credentialed like any other media member at Camden Yards and every minor league stadium where the Orioles have an affiliate. We may not do this fulltime yet, but we are taken very seriously be many people throughout the industry which has been illustrated very distictly over the last 28 hours or so after the report yesterday.

The original headline was Sources: Roberts traded to Cubs"... the post on the board that was not by me said "Roberts Traded to Cubs". Big difference.

Speak for yourself about alienating fans. Also, why is it important to you that you identify yourself as "Die Hard"?

You truly ARE trying to pick fights with everyone, aren't you?

Anyway, Tony (and his team) gives us a great site to spend hours a day talking about the O's. I'm willing to bet that there is a ton of loyalty to him, and IF it became a fact that the Orioles intentionally fed him crap to screw him over, YES, I do believe that they would be alienating their fans, and I speak for others and NOT just myself when I say that! If you are fine with that, then so be it.

As for why I identify myself as a die hard fan, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but that's what I and most people on here are...die hard O's fans! What's your point? Did me saying we are die hard fans offend you as well? Dude, if you don't like it here, then stay away! Otherwise, stop picking fights with everyone!

I will say, this is quite disappointing, but if Angelos was really looking for Hill, or Pie or Marmol - it's a good thing the Cubs backed down.

However, if I were an Orioles fan I'd be livid right now. The Gallagher/Marshall/Cedeno package was a good deal, and personally, I thought on the high end of what Roberts was worth this offseason. Seeing it come this far only to get nixed by your moronic, man-crushin' owner is trash.

I will say, this is quite disappointing, but if Angelos was really looking for Hill, or Pie or Marmol - it's a good thing the Cubs backed down.

However, if I were an Orioles fan I'd be livid right now. The Gallagher/Marshall/Cedeno package was a good deal, and personally, I thought on the high end of what Roberts was worth this offseason. Seeing it come this far only to get nixed by your moronic, man-crushin' owner is trash.

I certainly agree with you that Rboerts is not worth Hill. Pie or Marmol is fair value but only if that is the vast majority of the value coming back.

Gallagher, Marshall, and Cedeno is a bit on the low end in my opinion, but ultimately an acceptable offer. I would try and hold out for more though. I thought the initial rumor of Murton, Gallagher, and Patterson was nearly perfect for both sides.

I think you are misreading his post again Tony. He's not saying you did anything wrong in posting the report you got from the sources, but that the national and local media outlets that reported the story as being done basing it on the OH were being a tad irresponsible.

As is often true, Mackus hits it on the head. I was going to post exactly what you posted after I went through the thread.

Amateur Fan,

You wrote this in post #32 of this thread:

http://www.forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1160272&postcount=32

I wrote back in post #80 of this thread in response to this accusation:

http://www.forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1160412&postcount=80

Now, your response to that in post 90 is copy what I wrote originally in my first post:

http://www.forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1160503&postcount=90

Do you understand that what you wrote in post 32 and this support in post 90 are completely different things? These two statements aren't even the same logical train of thought. You just proved my point for me. Thank you.

Regarding the rest of the arguments you've made in this thread, I'm just going to write that I completely disagree with your opinions. I also find it quite telling that you've written several things that have been totally contradicted by facts with sources cited from several different people (including Tony himself) and you have yet to acknowledge you were wrong or even back off those mistaken claims.

Add to that the fact that you've miscontrued my words either intentionally or unintentionally a couple of times in this thread and I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for me to do is move on and put you ignore. I'm sure you feel that I'm doing this because I'm an "elitist" rather than the actual reason which is that I think you're a troublemaker. Ok, whatever, I can live with your bad opinion of me. Have a nice day.

VaTech, the only reason to use the words "rest of us grownups" is to imply, whether you know it or not, that the others are not "grownup"(those would be the ones you were directing your sentiment toward). A synonym for grownup is adult.

The first part in bold is just not true. No one has made a legitimate argument for the method of yesterday's article, and the facts have proven that: the sources were wrong. If other journalists followed such methodology, untrue stories would rampantly be flying from news agencies. It would be a huge problem.

The second part in bold makes no sense, or at least not what you intend it to, and if I were such a troublemaker, why did I wait for three months to just come out of my shell busting up the joint.

To post this and then put me on ignore, unwilling to read a response, is not a suitable way to carry on a discussion.

Furthermore, I don't know what your problem is with me or those who cannot devote themselves full time to reading this site? I like it here, and I like the sources/insiders (I think you'll find I've never been anything but appreciative and supportive of them in all my posts). I don't see what's wrong with disagreeing with someone's decision to publish that article just because he owns the joint. If that's the case, then this is a really close clique. That would be unfortunate, because it has a lot of great baseball analysis and discussion, which I would think everyone would want others to read and learn from.

It's a shame, too, that you had to get so vitriolic today. Just yesterday I was supporting this website and used you as a positive example.

Talk about getting your knickers in a wad!

Look I know you've had a rough 24 but that is no reason to go off half cocked when YOU misread something. I saw reports on ESPN and Chicago news sites yesterday morning stating the trade as fact and siting OH as the source. THIS IS NOT A NEWS SOURCE IS IT? That is why I said the NEWS AGENCIES that ran with the story were being irresponsible! Not you or the HO.Go back and read your own darn board! I have said nothing but positive and supportive things about you and the HO in this and all threads.

You sir are the one who needs to get your darn facts straight!

Actually I think they are a news source. OH has credentialed reporters, it publishes stories and has a degree of credibility. There is a vast difference IMO between what is on the front page of this site and what is in the message board. So if "mainstream" news sources cited OH I don't think they were irresponsible. Now if the would have cited "Peace21 from the OH message board" that would have been irresponsible. This is not a commentary on the quality of Peace's info it

Furthermore, I don't know what your problem is with me or those who cannot devote themselves full time to reading this site?

Here is some practical advice on how to find out what the insiders have reported without having to scrolll through every page of every thread:

1. Find any post by the insider, regardless of how old that post is. For example, the first post in Belkast's "Brian Roberts appreciation thread."

2. Click on the poster's name in the LH corner of the post.

3. A menu will come up that includes "find all posts by [name of poster]." Click that.

4. You will now get a screen previewing all posts by that poster, starting with the most recent.

Using this method, you can very quickly find out what any of our insiders (or anyone else you choose) has had to say in the last 24 hours. You could find every post by bigbird, Belkast, Peace21, Sonny76 or Tony-OH and read them all in about 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Here is some practical advice on how to find out what the insiders have reported without having to scrolll through every page of every thread:

1. Find any post by the insider, regardless of how old that post is. For example, the first post in Belkast's "Brian Roberts appreciation thread."

2. Click on the poster's name in the LH corner of the post.

3. A menu will come up that includes "find all posts by [name of poster]." Click that.

4. You will now get a screen previewing all posts by that poster, starting with the most recent.

Using this method, you can very quickly find out what any of our insiders (or anyone else you choose) has had to say in the last 24 hours. You could find every post by bigbird, Belkast, Peace21, Sonny76 or Tony-OH and read them all in about 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Warning: If you try to find all posts by Sports Guy (or Frobby for that matter), the universe will explode.

I know I am already going to loose rep points for broaching this.... but I feel that this week's posting of the rumored Roberts trade by the hangout staff has done damage to this site.

And unfortunately it should be a lesson to all of us in the difference between a credible news agency and a site that is made more for entertainment than news. The Sun and ESPN are credible news agencies. ESPN has a policy of not reporting any news unless it is confirmed by two independent and credible sources. I am sure that the Sun has a similar policy. It is a safeguard put in place because when you run a news organization and you get the news wrong, it is very very bad for your credibility. (This is from a guy who writes for a news organization.)

That holds true for details as small as the spelling of a name in a story. You get a name wrong, it means that everything else you write becomes less trustworthy. So when it comes to the O's trading one of their star players, you can be damn well sure that no credible news organization will report it until it is damn well confirmed.

That is why despite the Roberts traded to the Cubs reports here, no other credible news organization picked it up.

Some chat sites did, some talk shows affiliated with ESPN did, but the flagship station never ran with it and it never appeared on espn.com, even as a report.

I hate to criticize the hangout, because I love this board and spend hours on it a week -- and I hope this does not earn me a dis-invitation from posting -- but it was quite irresponsible for the hangout to post on its homepage that Roberts was traded without getting official confirmation.

I believe doing so hurt the credibility of this site.

It is one thing if rumors by hangout insiders are spread within the message board. We are all supposed to take those with a grain of salt. They are there as much for our entertainment as they are for actual news. But for the hangout staff to print that Roberts had been traded without getting confirmation from the club was risky.

When the club actually officially denied that rumor, to keep posted for nearly a day was downright irresponsible.

It is one thing to not be able to trust a rumor from an anonymous poster that has a supposed source. For those rumors to be posted as fact by the staff here, who are supposed to act as the ombudsmen for the content on this site and as the guardians of its quality, hurts the credibility of every other news item posted here as news.

I believe that the staff at least owes its readers an apology, or at least some sort of detailed explanation of what happened.

Archived