So why hasn't Brob been traded?

pactman12

I know I am already going to loose rep points for broaching this.... but I feel that this week's posting of the rumored Roberts trade by the hangout staff has done damage to this site.

And unfortunately it should be a lesson to all of us inthe difference between a credible news agency and a site that is made more for entertainment than news. The Sun and ESPN are credible news agencies. ESPN has a policy of not reporting any news unless it is confirmed by two independent and credible sources. I am sure that the Sun has a similar policy. It is a safeguard put in place because when you run a news organization and you get the news wrong, it is very very bad for your credibility. (This is from a guy who writes for a news organization.)

That holds true for details as small as the spelling of a name in a story. You get a name wrong, it means that everything else you write becomes less trustworthy. So when it comes to the O's trading one of their star players, you can be damn well sure that no credible news organization will report it until it is damn well confirmed.

That is why despite the Roberts traded to the Cubs reports here, no other credible news organization picked it up.

Some chat sites did, some talk shows affiliated with ESPN did, but the flagship station never ran with it and it never appeared on espn.com, even as a report.

I hate to criticize the hangout, because I love this board and spend hours on it a week -- and I hope this does not earn me a dis-invitation from posting -- but it was quite irresponsible for the hangout to post on its homepage that Roberts was traded without getting official confirmation -- and I believe doing so hurt the credibility of this site.

It is one thing if rumors by hangout insiders are spread within the message board. We are all supposed to take those with a grain of salt. They are there as much for our entertainment as they are for actual news. But for the hangout staff to print that Roberts had been traded without getting confirmation from the club was risky.

When the club actually officially denied that rumor, to keep posted for nearly a day was downright irresponsible.

It is one thing to not be able to trust a rumor from an anonymous poster that has a supposed source. For those rumors to be posted as fact by the staff here, who are supposed to act as the ombudsmen for the content on this site and as the guardians of its quality, hurts the credibility of every other news item posted here as news.

I believe that the staff at least owes its readers an apology, or at least some sort of detailed explanation of what happened.

LOL...... got another one?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleh. Whatever. I come here for a place to discuss and follow the O's. While I was excited to read that sources had told Tony the trade was done (and that's what he "reported"), I'm not offended that they received wrong information.

It's all rumor-mongering in the end, until something's officially announced by the club. All long as people remember that, things would go a lot smoother around here.

I know I am already going to loose rep points for broaching this.... but I feel that this week's posting of the rumored Roberts trade by the hangout staff has done damage to this site.

And unfortunately it should be a lesson to all of us in the difference between a credible news agency and a site that is made more for entertainment than news. The Sun and ESPN are credible news agencies. ESPN has a policy of not reporting any news unless it is confirmed by two independent and credible sources. I am sure that the Sun has a similar policy. It is a safeguard put in place because when you run a news organization and you get the news wrong, it is very very bad for your credibility. (This is from a guy who writes for a news organization.)

That holds true for details as small as the spelling of a name in a story. You get a name wrong, it means that everything else you write becomes less trustworthy. So when it comes to the O's trading one of their star players, you can be damn well sure that no credible news organization will report it until it is damn well confirmed.

That is why despite the Roberts traded to the Cubs reports here, no other credible news organization picked it up.

Some chat sites did, some talk shows affiliated with ESPN did, but the flagship station never ran with it and it never appeared on espn.com, even as a report.

I hate to criticize the hangout, because I love this board and spend hours on it a week -- and I hope this does not earn me a dis-invitation from posting -- but it was quite irresponsible for the hangout to post on its homepage that Roberts was traded without getting official confirmation.

I believe doing so hurt the credibility of this site.

It is one thing if rumors by hangout insiders are spread within the message board. We are all supposed to take those with a grain of salt. They are there as much for our entertainment as they are for actual news. But for the hangout staff to print that Roberts had been traded without getting confirmation from the club was risky.

When the club actually officially denied that rumor, to keep posted for nearly a day was downright irresponsible.

It is one thing to not be able to trust a rumor from an anonymous poster that has a supposed source. For those rumors to be posted as fact by the staff here, who are supposed to act as the ombudsmen for the content on this site and as the guardians of its quality, hurts the credibility of every other news item posted here as news.

I believe that the staff at least owes its readers an apology, or at least some sort of detailed explanation of what happened.

I agree with what your saying.

Bleh. Whatever. I come here for a place to discuss and follow the O's. While I was excited to read that sources had told Tony the trade was done (and that's what he "reported"), I'm not offended that they received wrong information.

It's all rumor-mongering in the end, until something's officially announced by the club. All long as people remember that, things would go a lot smoother around here.

Exactly, a source told Tony something. It wasn't confirmed, yet it was reported as fact. It's a problem.

As usual, the guys who take it upon themselves to criticize the mgmt here haven't taken the time to even get their facts straight.

Your opinion: The OH reported that Roberts was traded.

FACT: It was on the front page as "Sources: Roberts traded", big difference here

Your opinion: The OH got their information from the insiders on the board

FACT: Tony Pente got confirmation from two independent sources that don't have anything to do with the insiders.

Your opinion: The OH reported this prior to getting independent confirmation.

FACT: See previous fact. Tony went out of his way to state that two separate sources had confirmed that this deal was done, not pending, done

There have been multiple threads here discussing these issues this week. All of this information has been discussed ad naseum. As a matter of fact, there was a full thread of criticism about this issue that discussed all of these issues at one time (the prior criticism was based on a lack of research that was corrected too).

I've got no problem with someone having a counter opinion. However, I think it takes a lot of nerve to START a new thread criticizing the people that run this site and get virtually every bit of your foundation evidence for that criticism completely wrong. For that, I agree, you deserve negative rep.

Actually, that is incorrect. If the headline had indeed said "Sources say" or "Sources" that would have been more acceptable. The headline said "Roberts traded to Cubs"

You should start by paying for a plus account before even contemplating a demand for apologies. This would at least give you some stake in the website before running your mouth; otherwise you should feel privileged.

No, it didn't. You're completely wrong.

The headline clearly said "Sources: Roberts traded to Cubs". I saw it. Many of the rest of us saw it. You're wrong.

Actually I think in the very beginning it said that he was traded w/o the sources...but I might have miss read it..but I think the first breaking news was that he was traded, and then the "sources" was added. I think though if you looked at the article that Tony posted it did say "sources" said he was traded.

You should start by paying for a plus account before even contemplating a demand for apologies. This would at least give you some stake in the website before running your mouth; otherwise you should feel privileged.

And, I will pay for the plus account the second I hit 500 posts, as the rules require. Either way, the fact that I visit this site makes the hangout money. More traffic mean they can charge more for ads and means more folks will want to advertise here...

Archived