Joey Votto Critical of Davis Saying the HR Record Is 61

SeaBird

I don't blame them. I would be shooting up too if it meant I got a million dollar contract.

So you think playing the "Cheating for Dollars" game is OK in baseball and other sports? I don't. And not only did it ruin the lives and reputations of some good players, it has also tainted baseball, and its hallowed records, forever.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Votto comes off as douchey and jealous.

So does the author with this quote...

Now Davis is the toast of All-Star weekend, touting how he?s doing this without drugs, taking attention away from the looming PED suspensions related to the Biogenesis clinic.

He blames Davis for taking attention away from the Biogen case like Davis is the one asking himself the thousands of questions about PED's. The media asks for his opinion on these things & he gives them. Sounds like a good perception from a butt hurt Yankee fan that went to Syracuse to me.

So you think playing the "Cheating for Dollars" game is OK in baseball and other sports? I don't. And not only did it ruin the lives and reputations of some good players, it has also tainted baseball, and its hallowed records, forever.

I didn't mean to say it is OK. I was just saying I can understand why they would do it. You only have 1 chance to shine in this life, make the best of it.

So does the author with this quote...

He blames Davis for taking attention away from the Biogen case like Davis is the one asking himself the thousands of questions about PED's. The media asks for his opinion on these things & he gives them. Sounds like a good perception from a butt hurt Yankee fan that went to Syracuse to me.

I didn't read it that way at all. I thought he meant that it was a good thing that he was shining the light away from the scandal.

Bonds was a great ball player without PEDs. What a shame. Bonds is a first class d-bag.

I agree with Davis actually.

I believe both McGwire and Bonds were capable of 61 without but we will never know. Just like when we watch now we don't know.

We 100% positively know Bonds, McGwire and Sosa cheated though. And Sosa wasn't even an elite player before so the magnitude of impact could be bigger than we think.

In my eyes, Maris is the leader.

I didn't read it that way at all. I thought he meant that it was a good thing that he was shining the light away from the scandal.

Ah well that makes a bit more sense then. I guess directly following it with Votto's comments made it seem to me he felt the same way. I really wish a lot of these athletes would hire PR reps to hit them in the back of the head before the say whatever comes spewing out of their mouths.

Guest rochester
Josh Gibson might have the record too, but we will never know. Sad.

Apples and oranges. Josh Gibson never had a chance because of just plain stupidity. There is always a "reason for" but Hank Aaron is THE lifetime home run king... Bonds is not in my mind.

I have no problem with Votto disagreeing with Davis's opinion on the matter. But MAN, what an awful quote.

My thoughts exactly. You can disagree, but with a quote like that, you would think that Davis slept with Votto's woman.

I didn't mean to say it is OK. I was just saying I can understand why they would do it. You only have 1 chance to shine in this life, make the best of it.

Make the best if it no matter how many rules you have to break or who gets hurt, huh? That's the ends justifies the means and it seems to be rampant in society not just baseball.

It's me first, either come along for the ride or you'll get left behind.

Archived