Lottery 2014

It's a good thing that eligibility for the lottery is based on market size (which teams can't control) rather than revenue (which teams can control to some extent). Ideally you want to compensate teams that are in smaller markets while preserving incentives for teams to field strong teams and to market themselves.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No they don't.

If they did Oakland would have a pick.

How can you say that Oakland would have a pick? Do you understand what a lottery is?

According to the article in the Sun, there are two groups of ten teams. One group is based on revenue and the other on market size. There is a lottery for each group and the six lottery winners get an extra pick after the first round. The lottery losers get an extra pick after the second round.

It's a good thing that eligibility for the lottery is based on market size (which teams can't control) rather than revenue (which teams can control to some extent). Ideally you want to compensate teams that are in smaller markets while preserving incentives for teams to field strong teams and to market themselves.

Lottery eligibility is based on the 10 smallest markets AND the 10 lowest revenues. There are a few overlaps.

How can you say that Oakland would have a pick? Do you understand what a lottery is?

According to the article in the Sun, there are two groups of ten teams. One group is based on revenue and the other on market size. There is a lottery for each group and the six lottery winners get an extra pick after the first round. The lottery losers get an extra pick after the second round.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/18/4535092/2014-mlb-draft-competitive-balance-lottery-rockies-orioles-indians

The lottery is comprised of the 10 lowest-revenue and the 10 smallest-market teams in the league. Because there is some crossover between these two groups, there were only 14 teams eligible for the lottery this year. The odds of a team getting the top pick in the lottery is determined by its winning percentage in the season prior. Since the Rockies had the lowest winning percentage among the eligible teams, they had the best shot of getting the top pick.

Now that the picks have been awarded, teams are allowed to to trade them at their heart's content, which could potentially give playoff contenders like the Orioles, D-Backs, Indians, etc. a leg up in trade talks as we near the July 31 deadline. Two picks were dealt last year following the inaugural lottery.

The only eligible teams to not receive competitive-balance picks this year were the Oakland Athletics and the Cincinnati Reds.

14 teams. 12 slots. The A's and Reds didn't get slots. They had the first and second highest winning %. Third was Orioles, which we are lucky to get the 2nd pick. Colorado had the lowest winning % among the eligible teams which is why they ended up with the number one pick.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/18/4535092/2014-mlb-draft-competitive-balance-lottery-rockies-orioles-indians

14 teams. 12 slots. The A's and Reds didn't get slots. They had the first and second highest winning %. Third was Orioles, which we are lucky to get the 2nd pick. Colorado had the lowest winning % among the eligible teams which is why they ended up with the number one pick.

Absolutely. It is a lottery. If more teams had not overlapped the two categories, more teams would have been shut out.

• 2 weeks later...
Angels screwed the pooch when he allowed the Expos to move to DC. Of all the terrible things he's done in his tenure as a MLB owner that was by far the thing that will have the lasting negative impact on the team long after he's gone.

I am not sure that this is true. I may well me wrong but I thought MLB decided to put a team in DC. And while I am usually harsh on Angelo's, I believe most thought he negotiated about as well as he could. Now, if you want to talk about the Orioles seeing any of the MASN money, I'm right there with you. At least that's how I recall it.

Archived