Should we just spend like drunken sailors for the next 2.5 seasons no matter the long term effects?

Frobby

Per John Heyman....

While considering a couple of needs recently, an Orioles-connected person used the phrase "tapped out'' to describe their financial situation.

Suffice it to say, the Orioles will not be acquiring an ace pitcher via trade, and any outfield and DH considerations will have to fit financially into a limited budget. When asked recently about Justin Morneau, who has $6 million to go on his 2013 salary, one Orioles person responded with two telling words: "too expensive.''

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/22829970/are-contending-orioles-tapped-out-after-landing-feldman

So over 140K more tickets sold over last season. Up almost 8K a game since 2011 and they are "tapped out" at 95 million. :rolleyes:

I guess the estimated 7 million in profits they made from the playoffs last year went into someone's pockets.

I certainly don't expect ownership to lose money, but is it asking too much for them to not increase their profits quite so dramatically?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So over 140K more tickets sold over last season. Up almost 8K a game since 2011 and they are "tapped out" at 95 million. :rolleyes:

I guess the estimated 7 million in profits they made from the playoffs last year went into someone's pockets.

I certainly don't expect ownership to lose money, but is it asking too much for them to not increase their profits quite so dramatically?

I wonder what they ever did with all that handling money they made from the playoff games that were never paid. Pete's pocket is my guess

What are the chances McLouth, Hunter, Matusz, or JJohnson are back next season?

Depressing.

If Matusz isn't here, it will be because he is not worth the money, not because we don't have the money. McLouth will likely cost too much to keep when we have possibly a viable replacement (Urrutia). Hunter will most likely return. Johnson is a WC based on cost.

With Hammel, Feldman, Wada, Betemit, Roberts, and most likely Matusz off the books, there will be some money to spend, granted most of it will go back into the current core.

?The Orioles are "tapped out" financially in terms of adding another player via trade, a team-connected source tells Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. GM Dan Duquette added righty Scott Feldman in a trade with the Cubs earlier this month. The O's aren't in the market for an ace pitcher, and any deal for a DH or outfielder would have to fit the team's limited budget. The Twins' Justin Morneau, who's owed $6MM for the remainder of the year, would be "too expensive," an Orioles source tells Heyman. Instead, O's fans should look for any help to come from within, Heyman says

If this team is tapped out financially, Chris Davis and Wieters should be shopped this winter. No way the team can afford either one of them. That's assuming you buy the theory this team is tapped out financially (which I don't).

Ashame that the team finally has a solid foundation, and the fans have done their part. Too bad the owner is still the same.

This team has the luxury of having a few obvious holes. Remember the Orioles 4 years ago? More than half the team was "holes".

We need a TOR, DH, and 2B, unless Schoop can step in. We literally have no DH. Get a guy who can really hit, even if he's getting old or is big and fat. DHs are cheap. I would argue that if you look at the advanced metrics, even with a TOR starter we still need to sign a #2 guy. Although with several guys who are #3 or #4 quality we may be able to roll the dice and have one of them play as well as a #2, as Tillman has this year. Before you yell at me about underrating our pitching remember that the Orioles have among the worst ERA in the major leagues. We need a major upgrade!

But that's 2 pitchers, 2B, and DH. If we get 3 out of the 4 of those I think we're WS contenders. If we get very good at 2B and DH our offense will be spectacular and carry our average pitching. If we get 2 pitchers and a DH/2B our pitching will be great and our offense even better. Sign 3 players and the Orioles can easily be the best team in baseball.

I am sympathetic to the argument that the playoffs are a crapshoot and it's better to be consistently competitive, although in the AL East that means you need to win the division or else you get the wildcard which is an even more terrible wildcard with the ridiculous but exciting play-in game.

We can't spend any more $, Petey is operating with a tight budget.

I would expect Wieters won't get signed to a long term deal and Nick Markakis leaves. Davis & Machado are signed long term. We stay competitive but never get that close but the $ keeps rolling in. You wanna be good but what's the financial incentive to be great? There isn't one.

We can't spend any more $, Petey is operating with a tight budget.

I would expect Wieters won't get signed to a long term deal and Nick Markakis leaves. Davis & Machado are signed long term. We stay competitive but never get that close but the $ keeps rolling in. You wanna be good but what's the financial incentive to be great? There isn't one.

If the O's made an estimated 7.1 million off of the WC game on the road and the first round of the playoffs then how much would they make for a playoff run that includes the WS? You have to think a title will create another bump in attendance.

There is an incentive to be great, but is PA willing to risk what it takes to make the team great?

I'd like to keep those guys, yes. I don't want to be a bottom 8 team in salary, do you? If we're tapped out at under $100m, then that sucks.

Even if the O's go past the 100 million mark in salary I am not sure I want all those guys back at the prices they are going to be getting. Total payroll would have to hit about 170 before I felt OK with paying a relief pitcher 8 million+.

Even if the O's go past the 100 million mark in salary I am not sure I want all those guys back at the prices they are going to be getting. Total payroll would have to hit about 170 before I felt OK with paying a relief pitcher 8 million+.

But you are doing it in an environment where a good amount of your other contributors are at extreme bargains: Machado, Gonzalez, Tillman, Chen.

I'm not looking to keep this ratio (bullpen cost:rotation cost) forever. But as we should be competitive next season, I don't want to be in a position to have to find the meat of the bullpen when we can keep a solid core at 15-17M.

But you are doing it in an environment where a good amount of your other contributors are at extreme bargains: Machado, Gonzalez, Tillman, Chen.

I'm not looking to keep this ratio (bullpen cost:rotation cost) forever. But as we should be competitive next season, I don't want to be in a position to have to find the meat of the bullpen when we can keep a solid core at 15-17M.

I pretty much view relief pitchers as replaceable cogs that are hopelessly erratic from one season to the next. Look who is closing in Pittsburgh and Chicago for goodness sake.

Archived