Trade rumors heat up...

Tony-OH

Here's something Roch added in the comments to that post:

I don't know if there's an owner in sports who doesn't require that any trade run past his desk first. That's what I'm referring to. I wouldn't be surprised if Angelos has given his approval to Roberts being traded - which is a big step - but not for any pile of crap. He might have pushed for a certain player to be included.

It sort of puts things in perspective, though it doesn't tell us all that much that we didn't already know.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guy has held fast that the Roberts deal was with PGA. Others said the deal was done. Not it's off the table. Just putting 2 and 2 together.

Your source has a good history, I believe. Let's see how he holds up on this one.

It may be nothing. Seems like the Bedard and Roberts trades are totally intertwined. Without both being in place, neither one on it's own is in place. Maybe.

My guy has held fast that the Roberts deal was with PGA. Others said the deal was done. Not it's off the table. Just putting 2 and 2 together.

Ok so let me get this straight, your guy told you the deal was with Angelos. And now he's telling you it's completely off the table.

Great. Now we are back to square one...

A plausible conclusion, but not the only one possible. Reading Tony's article, it appears the deal was pulled so that pieces could be added to the trade.

It's time to chill out and wait to see what happens, rather than guessing at what is happening and why.

I don't think Angelos vetoing this deal is a mistake. Its not great for how business is run, but there was no way that Roberts was getting traded without Angelos' approval.

I have little doubt that Angelos will approve a Roberts trade, but it needs to be one where we are getting very good value. Not just enough to make the trade. This trade clearly isn't that case.

A plausible conclusion, but not the only one possible. Reading Tony's article, it appears the deal was pulled so that pieces could be added to the trade.

It's time to chill out and wait to see what happens, rather than guessing at what is happening and why.

Why? There's nothing else going on. If I didn't guess what was going on, I'd have to go do work. And, we can't have that...;)

If Angelos Killed this deal, McPhail may be leaving in a hurry.

I have a hard time accepting the fact that an owner would acceptt the fact that the team needs to go into a rebuilding mode and then shoot down a deal to improve the team for the future. This whole thought process the Angelos would kill a deal worries me more than anything else that has been discussed this offseason. It makes me worried that the team may never really have a chance to fight its way to the top with an owner that wants to run in several different direction

I don't think Angelos vetoing this deal is a mistake. Its not great for how business is run, but there was no way that Roberts was getting traded without Angelos' approval.

I have little doubt that Angelos will approve a Roberts trade, but it needs to be one where we are getting very good value. Not just enough to make the trade. This trade clearly isn't that case.

I'll say what I said earlier. Him vetoing it this late in the process would signify a huge problem in communication. He should be kept up to date on the dealings. And, he should voice his opinions throughout. A deal that he wouldn't have approved of should never have made it to his desk IMO. That's bad business. You waste a lot of time. You more than likely tick off your dealing partner. It just doesn't make sense.

There are other conclusions possible as well:

- The Cubs pulled it because they didn't want to lose Marshall (see Rosenthal's comments today about him not being in the deal)

- Rather than nixing the trade, Angelos simply took too long to approve and the Cubs pulled it

- A third team got in a late offer and we pulled the deal

- This is part of a three/four/thirty team deal

- Etc.

I'll say what I said earlier. Him vetoing it this late in the process would signify a huge problem in communication. He should be kept up to date on the dealings. And, he should voice his opinions throughout. A deal that he wouldn't have approved of should never have made it to his desk IMO. That's bad business. You waste a lot of time. You more than likely tick off your dealing partner. It just doesn't make sense.

Yup...and if this is the case, MacPhail's days here may be numbered.

Guest oriofan8

Is the deal truly "off the table"....or on hold to determine what we do with Bedard ??

Archived