Trade rumors heat up...

Tony-OH

Have you ever thought that maybe AM pulled the deal off the table because the Reds are ponying up for Bedard, which is a GOOD thing. Now he has to adjust his trade with the Cubs because we don't need more pitchers (Marshall and Gallagher).

I'm hoping this is why the deal was yanked, because we are combining the Bedard and Roberts trades together.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt Angelos nixed this deal. Tony's report says that both teams pulled back and are still working on a larger deal. Rosenthal said this morning that the sides were still "just talking" and that a position player may be in the mix.

If PGA truly nixed this deal I bet that the rest of the media would have picked up on that, but most of them weren't even reporting the deal as done at all.

I think some people may have gotten wires crossed or mis-read the tealeaves here.

I think you're being naive if you think the Cubs got cold feet is anywhere in the explanation here.

The Cubs have been pushing to get this thing completed, and have been since Nashville.

Now Hendry may "pull back" if these latest developments lead him to conclude that this has been a giant waste of his time. But it certainly won't be because he's gone all wishy-washy on the offer(s) he's made.

It's only speculation that Angelos has nixed any deal involving Roberts. And since him and McPhail had an agreement that McPhail would run the baseball side of things we should not assume the worst. Nothing has been confirmed.

But it could always be a matter of McPhail trying to seek the best possible deal. He's been doing this for quite some time and I'm sure he's confident what he's doing is necessary.

Tillman and Triunfel do not look like they will even arrive in the majors before 2011. That is a long time to wait for a return on Bedard.
Well Jones and Sherill would be here immediately, and we certainly have the time to wait and gamble on young guys with immense talent like Tillman and Triunfel.

Tillman and Triunfel do not look like they will even arrive in the majors before 2011. That is a long time to wait for a return on Bedard.

Tillman could be in the majors by 2010. 2008 in AA, 2009 in AAA, and 2010 in majors.

We aren't contending until 2010 at the earliest so BE PATIENT.

I think that was a typo. Either he hit T instead of W, or he accidently typed Not before It's. I'd say the former is more likely. Apparently it's "off the table" but we don't know what that means (or specifically, why it's off the table, if indeed it is).

Are we ACTUALLY going to discect which typo it was?

Perhaps he meant to write "Not that its off the table" brain moving faster than his fingers he missed THAT - I know I have done before.

Regardless there are multiple sources that sya that negotiations are on-going and very close.

We had a few that said it was totally done, now we have one that siad it is completely over. And even that was speculation on BB's part.

Tillman could be in the majors by 2010. 2008 in AA, 2009 in AAA, and 2010 in majors.

We aren't contending until 2010 at the earliest so BE PATIENT.

I doubt the Tillman has shown the control needed to make AA in 2008. His 5.00+ ERA probably shows he needs more time a A+ ball. He strikes out a lot of batters so he probably has a pretty good arm but control is important to progressing to a higher level.

Why is anyone ever going to listen to your comments on the Bedard trade? you've been steadfastly, and irrationally, against it from the get-go. You haven't said a good word about any prospect coming back in return, that I've read.

I hope the Mariners trade goes through as discussed previously-with Clement. I don't like substituting 17 and 19 year old kids who are years away from the Majors if they make it at all.That w/b a stupid trade.
Stupid is absolutely not the right word. Risky, certainly is.

Both Tillman and Triunfel have higher to much higher upsides to Clement. Clement is obviously much more likely to reach his upside though.

I prefer Clement to either Tillman or Triunfel, but getting both of those guys would be more valuable than getting just Clement. You run the risk of ending up with nothing if those guys don't pan out, but you also have the reward of getting one or two AS caliber players if they happen to hit, which you don't really have with Clement (if he stays at C, he's got AS potential, but not at 1B/DH).

I think you're being naive if you think the Cubs got cold feet is anywhere in the explanation here.

The Cubs have been pushing to get this thing completed, and have been since Nashville.

Now Hendry may "pull back" if these latest developments lead him to conclude that this has been a giant waste of his time. But it certainly won't be because he's gone all wishy-washy on the offer(s) he's made.

Hey Dave, being impartial and a NL guy, in reworking this deal with the cubs since Marshall is said to be out, what position players do you see coming back i.e which ones short of Vitters have the most potential?

Do you guys think that pulling back on this trade and asking for more position players from the Cubs signals that the Bedard trade is going to bring back more pitching now?

I always wondered how mass hysteria works. Hitler hickups and millions of Germans march off to war. Jim Jones says have a drink, Billick says "take a leap of faith... Bigbird drops a stinkbomb on the board and we spend two hours crapping all over ourselves over an opinion with almost no facts whatsoever to back it up. Amazing.

Well Jones and Sherill would be here immediately, and we certainly have the time to wait and gamble on young guys with immense talent like Tillman and Triunfel.

One of these guys is probably good as a gamble for the fourth player in the trade. However Sherrill in not a #2 in a trade for Bedard.

Jones, Clement/Morrow, Sherrill and Tillman/Triunfel sounds more like it.

Keep the value high for Bedard or keep Bedard.

Archived