Heyman: Source says O's are "tapped out".

wildcard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no trouble believing this. I also have no trouble believing this came from high up the ladder. But it's still troubling. I'm fixated on MG2 and what he could mean to this team (possible #1 or #2 starter who could make us a dynasty, not just a contender this year). With Roberts coming off the books, we could make a strong play for him. Maybe someone else with the O's has a similar frustration about the payroll being capped where it is.

That ain't happening.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>GM:"Word is Dodgers will go five years, close to $50M on (Cuban) Miguel Gonzalez. If so, he'll be a Dodger.:</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">July 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I posted this exact same information and it was taken down less than 5 minutes after I posted it.....odd.

I saw that it was in all lower case when that moderator took it down. Maybe he just did not feel like giving you an infraction.

That ain't happening.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>GM:"Word is Dodgers will go five years, close to $50M on (Cuban) Miguel Gonzalez. If so, he'll be a Dodger.:</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">July 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yup...not happening. It may be that the timing of the "tapped out" comment has nothing to do with the MG2 situation resolving this week. My frustration holds steady though. MG2 could be a #1 or #2 and is supposed to only need a few MiL tune ups before helping on the ML level. He's 26 and has ace stuff. He also costs us nothing in terms of sacrificing talent/prospects to get elite level talent. His annual salary would be today what we gave a 32 year old 2B in decline four plus years ago. Forget about possibly being one move (Hammel to pen) that rounds out a playoff roster this season. He's the one last big piece we'll need to add for a few years with Gausman and Bundy joining him, Tillman, Chen and MG1 (and Britton). Yes, he's not a guaranteed ace, but he sounds like someone DD would be all over as a calculated risk at that contract. And he well could be an ace....look at the scouting reports and the teams that are lining up to bid. Cincinnati and Oakland made bold moves with Chapman and Cespedes. It's not unheard of for a smaller market team to win one of these. Just a little frustrating....I love this team as is. But I'll still be annoyed a little.

I think some people are buying into Heyman's article way too much. Here's my guess on Heyman's source/reason for article:

Jon Heyman goes and buys a hotdog from the Vendor on Conway St. and says to the man "Hey I heard that they can get Justin Morneau if they pick up his contract and offer a couple of B & C level prospects!"

The vendor says "Nah.....It would tap them out if they made deals like that"

So Heyman decides to write (or twist) a story about how the O's wouldn't have the money for a pitcher that was never available in the first place (Cliff Lee) because someone shot down a stupid trade.

Now back in reality, someone may have thought about a Justin Morneau trade, but DD, Buck Peter, scouts & development people, etc. came to the conclusion that they should try and use 2 guys for the DH role and that would give them at least 80% of what they would get for Morneau at league minimum.

Reality makes more sense.

After hearing stories about how they needed to trade a relief pitcher to sign draft picks and how they didn't have the 2 million to get Davis until Lee was traded to the Pirates I believe that they are currently at the spending limit.

Do I think there is a small chance that ownership raises that cap if circumstances warrant it? Yes, a rather small chance.

When MASN was created Angelos said that it would give us the revenue to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. He is getting a ridiculous cut of the revenue compared ( as agreed upon) to the Nationals. Angelos is a billionaire. Live up to your MASN promise of having the money to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. If this were New York or Boston the media would be all over this. The SOFT Baltimore media is afraid of losing Orioles advertising revenue and won't ask the tough questions.

After hearing stories about how they needed to trade a relief pitcher to sign draft picks and how they didn't have the 2 million to get Davis until Lee was traded to the Pirates I believe that they are currently at the spending limit.

Do I think there is a small chance that ownership raises that cap if circumstances warrant it? Yes, a rather small chance.

I think you're right on you're thinking. Most businesses try and have some sort of soft or hard cap and we are probably looking at the top end of it for the O's (at least for this year).

Could there be a slim chance that ownerships raises it.....sure but not for:

1. A pitcher who isn't being traded by Philly

2. A guy who injuries has zapped away what made him get a contract that isn't worth stepping up payroll for.

Archived