Heyman: Source says O's are "tapped out".

wildcard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

Suffice it to say, the Orioles will not be acquiring an ace pitcher via trade, and any outfield and DH considerations will have to fit financially into a limited budget. When asked recently about Justin Morneau, who has $6 million to go on his 2013 salary, one Orioles person responded with two telling words: "too expensive.''

I have no idea on what the financials of this team look like or the budget(s), but am also not sure that this is worthy of the (what I consider) damaging headline. We would be fools to pay for Cliff Lee, IF there was a chance. Justin Morneau, and I am a fan, at $6M the rest of the season may be too expensive. Unless much more was said and not reported, which may be true, I look at this as more of a hatchet job than real reporting. Why? IDK

All of the evidence on payroll suggests Heyman is correct.

All the evidence on payroll says Heyman is speculating. As are you and I. He may have a good source. But I doubt it on this one. This front office plays things close to the vest.

All the evidence on payroll says Heyman is speculating. As are you and I. He may have a good source. But I doubt it on this one. This front office plays things close to the vest.

I hold out hope that PA will adjust to our current circumstances. I've been holding out that hope for many years, most recently last offseason. You're right, I don't know. I do know that I won't be setting myself up for further disappointment on this topic.

I hold out hope that PA will adjust to our current circumstances. I've been holding out that hope for many years, most recently last offseason. You're right, I don't know. I do know that I won't be setting myself up for further disappointment on this topic.

I am completely with you. But I have to hold out hope. And Dan always tells me when I ask that he has all the financial resources he needs.

What? The Orioles have been operating for years as if money was very tight. MacPhail said as much. This isn't just speculation, it's strongly supported by how they operate.

I am completely with you. But I have to hold out hope. And Dan always tells me when I ask that he has all the financial resources he needs.

That quote from Dan is meaningless IMO. Thanks for sharing. Not knocking you at all. But that's a throwaway line.

Really. Well either he has the resources to add a 2B next year, along with another innings eating vet SP, and extend Davis and Wieters, which means spending 30 M more, or he thinks he can pull comparable players out of his hat.

Really. Well either he has the resources to add a 2B next year, along with another innings eating vet SP, and extend Davis and Wieters, which means spending 30 M more, or he thinks he can pull comparable players out of his hat.

He may believe both.

He may believe both.
I doubt he believes either. He isn't fiding a 1B or a C comparable to Davis or Wieters in his hat. If he tries to go with both Gausman and Britton in the rotation next year he is making a huge mistake. And if he thinks he can count on turning one of Matusz or JJ into a viable #5 SP, then he is working with a limited budget, or not in his right mind.

I hope you are right. But whats he supposed to say? " My boss is one cheap SOB "? History has shown that PA runs this team with profits in mind. Kudos for extending Jones and all, but even the smaller market teams forks out on extensions. I don't expect LA or NY type money. But I have a hard time believing that Cin, Col, and teams like the Indians can afford to take on money to try and win, but the O's cant.

Archived