Heyman: Source says O's are "tapped out".

wildcard

Not when it comes to RSN territory. Having the Nationals as part of MASN doesn't give the network any more cable subscribers that they'd have without them being part of MASN.

Yes it does. They have forced subscription in MD, Del, DC, VA, and NC. You don't get all that if DC wasn't connected. Keep in mind this also kept DC from starting their own RSN.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it does. They have forced subscription in MD, Del, DC, VA, and NC. You don't get all that if DC wasn't connected. Keep in mind this also kept DC from starting their own RSN.

If MASN was Orioles only it would have all of those states just like if the Nationals had a separate RSN Baltimore subscribers would have whatever their network was. Same way as other region with two teams close by.

Really difficult to believe this team is choking on the possibility of ramping up the payroll past $95M. There is too much coming in from MASN, increased attendance, home playoff games, increased TV viewership - there is too much ancillary information that hints that our payroll can go loads higher.

Besides, PA is too old and wants to win too badly to let a few $M get in the way of a major post-season run this late in his life.

Sounds like a slow news day for Heyman.

Really difficult to believe this team is choking on the possibility of ramping up the payroll past $95M. There is too much coming in from MASN, increased attendance, home playoff games, increased TV viewership - there is too much ancillary information that hints that our payroll can go loads higher.

Besides, PA is too old and wants to win too badly to let a few $M get in the way of a major post-season run this late in his life.

Maybe Angelos doesn't think he's going to die. I read that a scientist thinks he is a few years away from perfecting human head transplants.

Why should Angelos care about what we have to say? If I run a team as a business, I'm concerned about making the most money possible, that's it. Until someone can prove to him that spending more money will actually pay off, why should he? I'm just trying to look at it from his point of view. The operating costs of a team have got to be quite high, and investors want to see profits, not necessarily a good baseball team. Is there a proven direct correlation between spending and success? If so, how certain is it that if you spend X amount you will win Y number of games?

He's a bad owner from a fan perspective, and I wish we had a new owner. I'm just not entirely sure that he cares if we are an 85 win team or a 95 win team from the money standpoint.

If I owned a team, I wouldn't care aslong as we won and broke even. Owners should make their money from selling the team and not worry about making a huge profit year to year. Winning above all else.

I don't think PA wants to win, not that badly. We haven't gotten that impression from him since 1998. I think he's glad when the Orioles win, sure. But win badly? I don't get him confused with Steinbrenner there. The Dodgers are a team desperate to win right now... the Tigers and Angels have made big careless moves to win now. Even the Nationals have proven they're willing to go a little extra. We haven't seen a single sign from PA that he's hungry for a win.

I don't think PA wants to win, not that badly. We haven't gotten that impression from him since 1998. I think he's glad when the Orioles win, sure. But win badly? I don't get him confused with Steinbrenner there. The Dodgers are a team desperate to win right now... the Tigers and Angels have made big careless moves to win now. Even the Nationals have proven they're willing to go a little extra. We haven't seen a single sign from PA that he's hungry for a win.

I agree, just look to his owner's box, which is just about always dark, the dude doesn't brother to go to the games. He is a lawyer first and foremost, and all about the money, always has been, always will be.

If I owned a team, I wouldn't care aslong as we won and broke even. Owners should make their money from selling the team and not worry about making a huge profit year to year. Winning above all else.

Should and is are often in conflict.

Sounds like you'd be a fan of the setup of the German Bundesliga. They have a 50+1 rule that states the founding supporter's clubs of each Bundesliga team have to retain a majority of voting shares, so a rich guy can't come in and go crazy. They're almost required to run the team as a kind of public trust. Relegation also helps, nobody can go into rebuild mode without fear of losing 90% of their revenues.

But in the US? Not so much. Owner is everything, he can do as he wishes.

Could this simply be a quote taken out of context by Heyman? (full disclosure I think he is a clown insider)

I too agree that $6 million for Justin Morneau is 'too expensive'.

John then takes that and runs with it by stating, "So obviously...".

Who really knows if the Orioles executive was just speaking about Morneau or any other player?

To me it's simply more of John Heyman's garbage in print.

I said this the other day in another thread and my friend Weams and some others claimed that the Orioles have the necessary resources they need to make moves.

If this article is legit I was right.

The O's seam to be moving in the right direction with their payroll and commitment to the minors, and it did cost $$$ for the move to Sarasota.

I just hope this trend of smart money will continual and not revert back to Syd Thrift days.

The next off-season should show us, if they are going to continue to walk the walk.

Too bad you don't own the team. I think the vast majority of us on here would prefer that whether we agree with you on topics or not as this comment shows a dedication to winning which is the main issue we all have had with Angelos over the years.

Still, from a business angle, I cannot blame owners for looking to their sports teams as a revenue generator year over year and running the team as they would any other business. In fact, most owners are business men first and that is all they know. I would prefer this not be the case as a fan, but if you are going to do this, you should clearly communicate your budget and the financial allotments, hire the right people and get out of the way.

Too bad you don't own the team. I think the vast majority of us on here would prefer that whether we agree with you on topics or not as this comment shows a dedication to winning which is the main issue we all have had with Angelos over the years.

Still, from a business angle, I cannot blame owners for looking to their sports teams as a revenue generator year over year and running the team as they would any other business. In fact, most owners are business men first and that is all they know. I would prefer this not be the case as a fan, but if you are going to do this, you should clearly communicate your budget and the financial allotments, hire the right people and get out of the way.

That's what Jack Kent Cooke followed and taught to Joe Gibbs.

Which appears that Peter has finally done with DD.

Here's a blast from the past for you. When this article was written, the Orioles had just slipped into 3rd place after being in 1st or 2nd most of the year. A.J. Burnett was a solid pitcher, and Lowell was a gold-glover in a down year. The Orioles needed a kickstart and Angelos balked over money. The deal died; Palmeiro happened; Angelos' personally-sought-after Sosa sulked on the bench with a sore toe, and the season collapsed. 2013 will have to fend for itself because history shows when push comes to shove, Angelos sits on his wallet.

Baltimore's much-discussed deal for Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett has hit a snag with Orioles owner Peter Angelos's reluctance to take on the $21.25 million owed to infielder Mike Lowell, a centerpiece of the proposed eight-player deal.

The deal as had been agreed upon would have sent Lowell, Burnett and minor league outfielder Eric Reed to Baltimore in exchange for outfielder Larry Bigbie and pitchers Jorge Julio, Steve Reed, Steve Kline and Hayden Penn. Now it's unsure whether the deal will get done at all. According to one Orioles source, Baltimore Executive Vice President Jim Beattie and Vice President Mike Flanagan had hoped to persuade Angelos in an afternoon conference call to accept the deal, but the owner has not. The deal appears to be on hold while Angelos decides what to do.

One baseball source said the Orioles have asked the Marlins to pay as much as half of the money owed to Lowell. The Marlins, according to the source, have scoffed at such a demand and have threatened to put Burnett back on the market and available to all bidders.

source -Washington Post, July 20, 2005

Archived