Heyman: Source says O's are "tapped out".

wildcard

Here's a blast from the past for you. When this article was written, the Orioles had just slipped into 3rd place after being in 1st or 2nd most of the year. A.J. Burnett was a solid pitcher, and Lowell was a gold-glover in a down year. The Orioles needed a kickstart and Angelos balked over money. The deal died; Palmeiro happened; Angelos' personally-sought-after Sosa sulked on the bench with a sore toe, and the season collapsed. 2013 will have to fend for itself because history shows when push comes to shove, Angelos sits on his wallet.

source -Washington Post, July 20, 2005

You have anything more current than 2005????????????????

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said this the other day in another thread and my friend Weams and some others claimed that the Orioles have the necessary resources they need to make moves.

If this article is legit I was right.

I am sure you are right. But the Nationals have spent like drunken sailors,and they are seven games out of the SECOND wildcard. Money solves a lot. Smarts solve more.

I am sure you are right. But the Nationals have spent like drunken sailors,and they are seven games out of the SECOND wildcard. Money solves a lot. Smarts solve more.

The two are not mutually exclusive, are they? If you have smarts and money, you have more options...right?

The two are not mutually exclusive, are they? If you have smarts and money, you have more options...right?
Do you want to re-read the OP about how we are "tapped out?" Were we in contention from 2006-2011? Did we spend a lot of money this past offseason to improve the ballclub?

There you go.

Guest hutch

A lot of rationalizing of inexplicable cost cutting moves here. The trading away of international slots, need to acquire cash to land Chris Davis a few years ago, etc., it all points towards a team that is unwilling to spend. Angelos has shown absolutely no inclination to spend any money to make the team great in years.

I've already mentally prepared for a Chris Davis departure in a few years. I hope it won't happen, but at this point I have no faith that we will ever spend that MASN money.

A lot of rationalizing of inexplicable cost cutting moves here. The trading away of international slots, need to acquire cash to land Chris Davis a few years ago, etc., it all points towards a team that is unwilling to spend. Angelos has shown absolutely no inclination to spend any money to make the team great in years.

I've already mentally prepared for a Chris Davis departure in a few years. I hope it won't happen, but at this point I have no faith that we will ever spend that MASN money.

I'm glad to see you're enjoying the season, slugger.

If we're going back to 2005, you have to consider the cash the team dropped in 2004.

He's been cheap and misguided at times, but Angelos has also spent a bunch on this team at times.

We weren't really in contention in 2005 either. See Pirates of 2011-2012.

Guest hutch
I'm glad to see you're enjoying the season, slugger.

I am loving it. You'll see no posts from me to the contrary. In fact, I don't even really feel we need to make an acquisition at this point, I like our squad.

What I don't like us feeling like our management is being hindered in exploring every possible option to improve the team by a particularly frugal owner. This also makes me fear for the future.

Also, last I checked I was responding to the subject of the thread, and you're really not adding anything relevant to this discussion.

Guest hutch

1. Angelos' sons take over after the cheapskate is gone and are more competitive/have a different philosophy/aren't as cheap

2. They sell to someone like Bisciotti or Mark Cuban

Please LORD let Cuban buy this team

History tells us that Angelos is tight with the ABUNDANCE of money that he has. However, I don't see how he doesn't realize that winning championships and signing big name players will make him MORE money.

Because a lot of times it doesn't. See Angels, Blue Jays.

Archived