Braun suspended

jjdman

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not looking for a Braun on roids. I'm looking for a low cost, low risk, high upside investment tied to what would certainly be a performance based contract tied to routine testing. Unlike Bonds, Braun has owned up to the issue at hand, accepted responsibility, apologized and accepted his punishment. By the way, he's suspended without pay. Not sure he'll put his career at risk again after this. Lastly, the guy has awesome talent and would upgrade LF for us.

He has a contract already. It ends after the 2020 season (with an option for 2021).

I'm not looking for a Braun on roids. I'm looking for a low cost, low risk, high upside investment tied to what would certainly be a performance based contract tied to routine testing. Unlike Bonds, Braun has owned up to the issue at hand, accepted responsibility, apologized and accepted his punishment. By the way, he's suspended without pay. Not sure he'll put his career at risk again after this. Lastly, the guy has awesome talent and would upgrade LF for us.

Yeah...after he got caught a second time.

I definitely agree that he's a good buy-low candidate, but I feel like the current stigma isn't really worth it. Plus...I doubt Milwaukee would move him anyways.

OK, but what if roid-free Braun isn't that good. He has a pretty big contract.

I'd like to see what Brewers fans are saying about Braun now.

Would I consider bring Braun to Baltimore for the right price? Absolutely. That would be a pretty nasty lineup next year.

Would I want to mess with team chemistry and fan morale? No.

He has a contract already. It ends after the 2020 season (with an option for 2021).

I haven't dug into the contract issue, but wouldn't there be a clause somewhere voiding the contract, at least partially, upon positive drug test results? If that's not the case, I would agree it wouldn't be worth the risk. Like I said earlier, I would only be interested in a low downside, high upside risk with Braun. Was just thinking out loud after hearing the suspension news.

I haven't dug into the contract issue, but wouldn't there be a clause somewhere voiding the contract, at least partially, upon positive drug test results? If that's not the case, I would agree it wouldn't be worth the risk. Like I said earlier, I would only be interested in a low downside, high upside risk with Braun. Was just thinking out loud after hearing the suspension news.

Players aren't paid while suspended. Contracts can't be voided unless they suffer an injury that the team can prove was caused by the PED use. Some believe the Yankees will take this approach with ARod.

No. The teams that support this type of player do not get off the hook. They pay the salary.

Wha??? Yeah, I'm so glad he's seen the error of his ways now that he's been caught. :rolleyes:

You'd have to give up a good part of our farm system to get him. And would you be getting the player worth the money he makes, or a player over paid cause of the production he got from being on PED's?

Wha??? Yeah, I'm so glad he's seen the error of his ways now that he's been caught. :rolleyes:

Look, I don't entirely disagree with you, but the reality is he has when others (Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, etc.) still haven't despite overwhelming evidence against them. I'll take a little progress where I can get it. The fact that he has taken responsibility at least shows he may be looking to turn it around. Blind faith maybe...

Archived