Are We the Best Team in Baseball Right Now?

brianod

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cards are the best team in baseball. They don't have much power offensively though, only 82 home runs. The Orioles have 135. That would be an interesting World Series matchup.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9jwmpRATHos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We are Legit.

The Rays schedule going forward into August is a little tougher but not great. Giants,Dbacks,Yankees,Blue Jays are not that good. Blue Jays look like they have thrown in the towel. Yankees are unraveling. Giants have been bad for over a month. Dbacks are fading.

September 16-23 for Tampa should be telling. Eight game homestand. Four against the Rangers and four against the Orioles.

With Chen and Roberts back, we just might be. We are 2 1/2 games out of first and 2 1/2 games out of the best record in baseball. If we get lucky and stay healthy, this team might just take off. We don't have the resources of the Yankees and RedSox to make significant improvements but a tweak or two is certainly possible. Fun stuff.

It's cool that the O's are playing well. But it's kind of crazy to suggest they're the best team in all of Major League baseball given that they have the 4th-best record in the AL, 3rd-best in the East, and they're being outscored AND giving up more runs than both Boston and Detroit.

It's challenging to be the best when you're 10th in park-adjusted ERA and you're not lapping the field in runs scored.

The Cards are the best team in baseball. They don't have much power offensively though, only 82 home runs. The Orioles have 135. That would be an interesting World Series matchup.

I think the Cards would probably be the 4th-best team in the AL East. Or at least in the O's/Rays/Yanks mix.

We are two games behind. I like that fact that you state your opinion unequivocally and confidently. That doesn't make you right and I disagree with you.

You asked a question when you started this thread, I answered what I believe is the truth. I don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees, I'm confident in my opinion and that's all that matters. I won't say anyone else is wrong in their own opinions. They're just that, opinions. They still have to play the games.

Can't say we are the best, but I definitely like our chances against anyone.

If Manny can get more disciplined in the #2 hole before October, I don't think any team will want to face us. As it is right now, the lineup is obviously still formidable. I just see room for improvement from Manny.

In the last 30 days.

Moore 5-0

Archer 4-0

Hellickson 4-0

Price 3-1

I think that about says it.

They also played one of if not THE easiest schedule in baseball during that stretch.

The rays pitching staff is great, but I'm not convinced they are as good as they've played in the last month, they beat a lot of crummy teams while we've been facing very stiff competition.

You asked a question when you started this thread, I answered what I believe is the truth. I don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees, I'm confident in my opinion and that's all that matters. I won't say anyone else is wrong in their own opinions. They're just that, opinions. They still have to play the games.

Fair enough

TB OPS+ 111 / BAL 106

TB wRC+ 112 / BAL 106

Tampa may not have a Chris Davis but they've had a pretty good offense so far. Basically kept them in it when their pitching was pretty bad earlier in the year. They have 7 starters that have an OPS+ of 112 or higher. We have 4. Not to mention they probably have better overall team speed.

I think the point of the OP was regarding NOW - with Nick and Wiets heating up, Urrutia better than our DH effort over the first 95 games and BRob improving.

We look like a pretty darn good team right now, so l am in the camp of people saying to forget about the comparisons and let's just play good Orioles baseball.

It's cool that the O's are playing well. But it's kind of crazy to suggest they're the best team in all of Major League baseball given that they have the 4th-best record in the AL, 3rd-best in the East, and they're being outscored AND giving up more runs than both Boston and Detroit.

It's challenging to be the best when you're 10th in park-adjusted ERA and you're not lapping the field in runs scored.

I didn't say the Orioles were the best up to now, they obviously haven't been. My point is with everyone healthy and the addition of Feldman, they are legitimately in the conversation at this point in time

You know it's interesting. The Royals have a 3.83 team pitching ERA, with the Orioles at 4.30 and I think the Orioles take them to the cleaners and possible sweep all 4 here. The point I'm making is stats are less important than to see how teams match up head to head. The AL East skews a lot of stats because the teams are better. The Orioles play the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays 19 times each for a total of 57 Games, so naturally our E.RA. is higher. The Royals play the Orioles 7 times, and Yankees/Red Sox 8 times each for a total of 23 games, so naturally their E.R.A. is lower.

So what do the stats really mean?

Great point on the Cardinals. Hope we find out.

Archived