NOW you can complain about the situational hitting

Frobby

That's like saying, "If a batter can't bat 1.000, he should be embarrassed." Or, "If a pitcher can't pitch to a 0.00 ERA, he should be embarrassed."

You're setting completely unrealistic expectations and then feeling outraged when the Orioles can't achieve them. No wonder you get so up in arms about everything. Your concept of reality is incredibly skewed, baseball-wise.

So you don't think that with a runner on 3rd and NO OUTS, a Major League Baseball team should be able to score?

Obviously you aren't going to score 100% of the time in those situations, but SHOULD a team be able to score there? Yes. Is it a huge disappointment if they don't? Yes.

And it's also nothing like the example you said. Not even close...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am talking about any at bat where there is a runner on 3B and less than 2 outs. The batter basically has a 50/50 shot to get the runner in.

Not that I go as far as "they should succeed 100% of the time," but you went from a failure rate of 50% to 25% there due to mutiple ABs. So, historically, there was a 75% shot at getting a run in. That's different from the coin flip being suggested.

I am talking about any at bat where there is a runner on 3B and less than 2 outs. The batter basically has a 50/50 shot to get the runner in.

Ok. I am talking about man on 3rd and no outs. Do you know what that percentage is?

With a runner on 3rd and no outs? I think you're talking about 1 out? I could understand it with 1 out since Holland is pretty damn good, but with 0 outs...

Also, it really makes it more frustrating that it has happened about 5 times the past 5 games and our hitters simply can not make adjustments and keep failing in those spots.

I was fine with the loss going into the 9th but not being able to score to tie it up with a man on 3rd with no outs really hurts.

All in all I'm fine with today as I really like the K-Rod trade, but our hitters need to be much better in these situations.

Ok you've said this like five times now...just stop it. It didnt even happen two games ago. You're making up things.

I just don't know what you guys consider situational hitting. You think ML players can hit a fly ball to medium deep outfield against a pitcher like Holland at will? As for Davis going to LF, he got busted inside with two 95+ mph fastballs. Tough to go the other way on those.

This has been Davis' problem. Not that I'm saying anything about his AB tonight...he is just not getting to the good fastball inside.

Not that I go as far as "they should succeed 100% of the time," but you went from a failure rate of 50% to 25% there due to mutiple ABs. So, historically, there was a 75% shot at getting a run in. That's different from the coin flip being suggested.

I'm just talking about what the odds are in an individual at bat. And the Orioles are slightly better than average in that regard. So it's not true that they are a poor team at situational hitting (at least, so far as getting runners in from third base is concerned). It certainly is true that when a runner is at 3B and nobody is out, the team's chances of scoring before three outs are made are much higher than 50/50. It is something like 83%.

So you don't think that with a runner on 3rd and NO OUTS, a Major League Baseball team should be able to score?

Yes, and more often than not, they will. But you said anything less than 100% success rate is "pathetic" and "embarrassing," which destroys any and all credibility.

You do realize that it's a 162-game season, right? And that over the course of the season, the Orioles have excelled in those situations? You somehow seem to have convinced yourself that the Orioles are poor at hitting in the clutch, when in reality the opposite is true.

It happened yesterday. And twice in the Texas series, right? That's 4. Pretty close to 5...

Stop digging dude. No it didn't happen twice in the Texas series. The only time they got a runner to third with 0 outs, they scored three times in successive hits with runners on third.

I'm just talking about what the odds are in an individual at bat. And the Orioles are slightly better than average in that regard. So it's not true that they are a poor team at situational hitting (at least, so far as getting runners in from third base is concerned). It certainly is true that when a runner is at 3B and nobody is out, the team's chances of scoring before three outs are made are much higher than 50/50. It is something like 83%.

Part of the issue here is recency. The O's have struggled since the break in these situations and it came back to bite them today. The frustration is understandable and I'm sure the team shares the same frustration. Like gamblers, fans will remember the bad beats more than the wins.

Part of the issue here is recency. The O's have struggled since the break in these situations and it came back to bite them today. The frustration is understandable and I'm sure the team shares the same frustration. Like gamblers, fans will remember the bad beats more than the wins.

I believe they posted that the O's were 17 for 46 in RISP situations in the four proceeding games. They may have failed with a runner on 3B a few times, but they also had some successes.

Stop digging dude. No it didn't happen twice in the Texas series. The only time they got a runner to third with 0 outs, they scored three times in successive hits with runners on third.

The O's have had 11 unsuccessful ABs in the 5 games since the break. They've had a lot of successes, too. They've been swinging the bats well and getting into these situations a lot since Friday.

Archived