Jim Palmer: "Get this team a DH."

weams

I am sure they are evaluating Henry as we speak. While there at it, pay attention to Valencia bc he looks not so good.

Yeah...not really sure what they see in Valencia. He hit a couple of homers when he first came up, but really fell off before he was sent down and now he still looks lost.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morales is my new player to obsess over and drive myself crazy hoping that we can acquire. He'd look real nice batting behind Davis.

Any chance we can get rid of Hammel too to absorb the change in salary? I'd rather be starting just about anybody right now. Gausman or Britton even.

I'm curious what Morales will cost. He doesn't play any position particularly well, so we're trading for a strict DH...a switch hitting DH, but a DH nonetheless. He's only making $5.25 million this year, so he's not that expensive.

I'm curious what Morales will cost. He doesn't play any position particularly well, so we're trading for a strict DH...a switch hitting DH, but a DH nonetheless. He's only making $5.25 million this year, so he's not that expensive.

It will depend on supply and demand. Who is looking for a 1B? The Pirates come to mind...maybe Texas as a DH. That's pretty much it. Maybe we can get him fairly cheap? I do think that we may be tapped out on the payroll though, that's the only reason I mentioned moving Hammel. That, and he's driving me crazy.

Yeah I'm in full on retreat mode on Hank. I was excited to watch him, but he's so overmatched on breaking stuff that I think the O's should abort ASAP on Hank for now until next year.

That's absurd. You can't judge him on a couple of bad at bats.

It's funny, a RHRP was my biggest priority, but after tonight it was just startingly clear to me that Hank is not going to cut it. Not against big time pitchers in big time spots like bottom of the 9th, man on third. I have to agree with Palmer here.

This is ridiculous. He had three hits last night and tonight, he faced one of the best closers in the game, who had just made short work of Davis and Hardy, after sitting on the bench for eight innings. To make any definitive statements on what Henry will be after four games is crazy.

If Davis had put the ball in play like Urrutia did, Jones would have scored. I like what I see with Henry, I'd stick with him. But if you insist on trading for a DH, the best one possibly available is Carlos Quentin. Hits both LHP and RHP with power. Be nice to see him hitting behind Davis. Don't know what he would cost. Morales would be next IMO.

This is ridiculous. He had three hits last night and tonight, he faced one of the best closers in the game, who had just made short work of Davis and Hardy, after sitting on the bench for eight innings. To make any definitive statements on what Henry will be after four games is crazy.

Henry has had 260 professional AB's after not playing for over a year. The potential is there, although, evaluators say he's clearly not in the league of the Cuban stars that are playing now, like Puig, Cespedes, Martin, etc. There is nothing ridiculous about saying that in all likelyhood he's not going to step right into the ML lineup and be able to really pull the DH spot together down the stretch. Chances are slim. He needs AB's against ML pitching, and the DH bar was set so low, that it likely won't matter if he hits. What is ridiculous, is thinking that anything he did at the MiL based on the small sample will translate over to the ML's. History has shown this to be a slow and painful transition except for the most talented of players, and even some of those struggle. Thinking that a legitimate ML batter wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Henry this season is wrong. I'm not making any definitive statements, like "Urrutia will be fine." I'm just basing my own opinions off of a pretty long and extensive history of guys transitioning to the ML from the MiL, especially ones without star talent.

Severely? Like when he grounded out to 1st tonight against one of the toughest relievers in baseball? He looks succeptible to the offspeed stuff down in the zone, just like Chris Davis and Adam Jones and a lot of other guys. I'll go on record right now on here that when the season is done, Urrutia is batting over .300 and has an OPS north of .800.

I'm on board with that. It'll be close, he may be even a little south of those numbers but not too far off. Tough spot for him tonight and he looked infinitely better than Davis and no worse than Hardy. He'll be ok.

An ace is still our biggest need. We have more than enough offense on this team.

I'm not so sure. He looks severely overmatched on big league breaking stuff. Like severely.

Urrutia did look over-matched in the 9th against Greg Holland, but so did Davis and Hardy. And at least Hank made contact with the ball.

That's absurd. You can't judge him on a couple of bad at bats.

It's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read on this board.

The guy is still batting .400 I. His first week in the majors and you're giving up on him because a guy throwing 100 dropped a curveball on him???

I guess we better drop Davis too, he looked horrendous in his last at bat tonight!!!!

I'll go with Urrutia. He'll get it done.

I'm awful late to quote on the second post but WHAT RZ said! I have pretty high hopes for Henry. He's looked good already at the ML level. More time and PT and I think he'll look even better.

AND NOW, July 23rd (Now 24th...) DD has done EVERYTHING I thought we needed by the Deadline!

SP - Feldman

Hitter - Urrutia

RP - KRod

I think we have the other "extra" RH hitter we need in Flaherty. :P Just Buck won't use him. At all.

EDIT: DUH! Flash hits LH.

I still think he's the extra hitter we need tho. After he came back up to the majors this year he was a different hitter than early on. He's got power too. Big time. And of course the D. Nothin' 'gainst Brian...

I'm awful late to quote on the second post but WHAT RZ said! I have pretty high hopes for Henry. He's looked good already at the ML level. More time and PT and I think he'll look even better.

AND NOW, July 23rd (Now 24th...) DD has done EVERYTHING I thought we needed by the Deadline!

SP - Feldman

Hitter - Urrutia

RP - KRod

I think we have the other "extra" RH hitter we need in Flaherty. :P Just Buck won't use him. At all.

EDIT: DUH! Flash hits LH.

I still think he's the extra hitter we need tho. After he came back up to the majors this year he was a different hitter than early on. He's got power too. Big time. And of course the D. Nothin' 'gainst Brian...

Can't help thinking that if one of Casilla or Flash had been playing 2B, at least one or their runs wouldn't have scored. Three balls got past him that I think might have been gotten to.

Archived