Jim Palmer: "Get this team a DH."

weams

Can't help thinking that if one of Casilla or Flash had been playing 2B, at least one or their runs wouldn't have scored. Three balls got past him that I think might have been gotten to.

I didn't see the game but ALL you guys sounded dismal in the game thread! :P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's have a DH, his name is Brian Roberts. He could split DH w/ Urritia, and Flaherty can go back to playing 2B like a gold glove fielder.

I would be fine with this! Roberts has been average/below average in the field .... Flaherty has been average/above average in the field. There were a few balls last night that I thought Flaherty could have at least gotten to that Brian didn't.

I'm a bit of a worry-wort when it comes to these things.

One thing I know: Valencia is terrible. I've seen enough of him.

My over-arching thought is that the O's are not content with AAAA guys like Pearce and Valencia and a raw, unproven guy like Urrutia in the heat of a 3-team AL East race. This is serious business, and the K-Rod trade tells you how serious they are about making some upgrades.

If you guys are ok bringing Urrutia to the Playoff Battle Royale against Tampa and Boston's pitching, then alright. But I'm starting to get scared of that prospect.

Do you have a better option? Valencia is awful. Pearce is hurt. Reimold is...Reimold. What do you want them to do at DH? If they can find a better option via trade, then I'm all for it. But the best/only internal option right now is Urrutia.

I am very glad they traded for Rodriguez. The fact they did that (and before the deadline) tells me they want to win this thing (amen!) so I wouldn't be shocked if we traded for a bat. And my guess is that you could get a good one for a lot less than either one of these trades. Yeah Soriano isn't the best but he is a BIG upgrade over what we have gotten from the DH slot so far.

An upgrade over a black hole still doesn't make for much of an upgrade. The Orioles have enough issues in the on-base department, so adding Soriano makes absolutely no sense.

I am just making the point that ANYTHING is an upgrade and Soriano won't cost much. My guess is there are other salary dumps out there that can be had for little as well.

Carlos Quentin? His OPS is .863 this year. $9.5 million though...just throwing a name out there.

Also, I would be fine with Urrietta getting the everyday gig the rest of the year...just if we are looking for options outside of our organization, then Carlos Quentin.

Archived