Jim Palmer: "Get this team a DH."

weams

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not so much in that AB, but in the previous one where he swung at a ball like 2 feet in front of the plate.

That guy was throwing 100 as well with a nice slider. Yeah he may have looked bad but how many guys is he going to face that throw 100 mph. The Red Sox don't have one the Tigars don't have one, The Yanks don't have one neither does Oakland or Texas. If the pitcher is throwing 100mph and has a crisp slider you could have Ted Williams up and he would struggle. Jones got a hanging slider and did what you are do to with those but when a pitcher throwing that hard and with a good slider he would have looked just as bad.

Was anyone else suprised he let Urrieta hit in the ninth. I think Buck wanted to see what the kid had and he also must have some confidence in him. I thought they may have pinch hit Matt threre and kept him at DH.

That's absurd. You can't judge him on a couple of bad at bats.

I agree with you. Funny how this DH question doesn't even come up when the

were winning nine to two. How did Henry do in that game? Or sweeping Texas.

How did he do in those? Why wait till the O's lose? Where were the other hitters?

It may not be the best move due to his mediocre OBP, but I wouldn't mind Soriano. He's .800+ OPS against lefties and could serve as a contingency plan at LF next season if Henry doesn't work out (FTR I'd like to see Nate back next season if possible). Out of curiosity, what do you guys think it would take to get Soriano? I'm not very good at the eating salary proverbial exchange rate. Avery + another throw-in guy and they eat like 80% of his salary?

Was anyone else suprised he let Urrieta hit in the ninth. I think Buck wanted to see what the kid had and he also must have some confidence in him. I thought they may have pinch hit Matt threre and kept him at DH.

:agree:

How can you not have Wieters hit in that spot?

It may not be the best move due to his mediocre OBP, but I wouldn't mind Soriano. He's .800+ OPS against lefties and could serve as a contingency plan at LF next season if Henry doesn't work out (FTR I'd like to see Nate back next season if possible). Out of curiosity, what do you guys think it would take to get Soriano? I'm not very good at the eating salary proverbial exchange rate. Avery + another throw-in guy and they eat like 80% of his salary?

I don't think it's possible to get him. It would cost too much for them to eat so much salary, but that aside. Even if it was a reasonable price, I don't think Soriano waves his 10/5 rights for a trade here. That was an issue last year. I think you hear so much about him to the Yankees because that is one of few places the Cubs could convince him to waive the 10/5 to go since it would be a homecoming of sorts.

This whole conversation is absurb. Do we need to trade for a first baseman and a short stop too? I don't get how a guy who hit a ground out on one at-bat is somehow a judgement on him as a player.

The DH position has been an absolute failure all season, so this thread is a discussion on what to do about that. Maybe Urratia is the answer, maybe not, but I don't see how a discussion about it is "absurd."

I still think we should get Hoes up and get him some at bats and see what he can do. He can get decent at bats facing lefties spelling Nick or McLouth or at DH.

I think replaceing Urrutia with Hoes makes the most sense right now. Let Urrutia get a bit more seasoned facing AAA pitching and get that killer OBP in our DH spot. I think Hoes' wOBA would be just the boost we're looking for.

I fully expect Urrutia to produce but we are rushing him and there's not reason to do that with Hoes ready and waiting.

This whole conversation is absurb. Do we need to trade for a first baseman and a short stop too? I don't get how a guy who hit a ground out on one at-bat is somehow a judgement on him as a player.

I posted this thread to call attention to what Hall of Famer Jim Palmer says the Orioles need, not what my opinion is.

Archived