Jim Palmer: "Get this team a DH."

weams

No, I am one of the guys having a conversation about the DH position. Don't put words in my mouth to try to prove your ridiculous point. The FACT is if YOU don't want to discuss the topic, then stay out of the thread.

I think reminding those who are saying he doesn't look like he's the answer that he has been successful in the limited sample size they are using to make that determination constitutes discussing the topic, but that's just me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not because he's hitting .333 in 3 games. It's because he was hitting very well in the minors and ready to go into the MLB. He might start off slow on the learning curve but everything points to him being able to make the adjustments necessary to succeed at this level.

Adam Jones and Manny Machado were both MISERABLE hitters in their first years with the Orioles, and Urrutia isn't nearly as talented as they are. But Urrutia still projects to be a "Markakis Lite" and an asset to this ballclub. And for those who criticize the Orioles for starting him in the middle of a pennant race; where were you when Machado was a huge hole in the lineup in the middle of last year's race?

First off, I'm all for giving Urrutia a chance. But, where do you get that Manny was a miserable hitter and a hole in the lineup? Seriously? Are you just making stuff up for fun? Here is his line from 2012...

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards

2012 19 BAL AL 51 202 191 24 50 8 3 7 26 2 0 9 38 .262 .294 .445 .739 99 85 6 0 1 1 0 5

Davis and Hardy looked awful too and they just had to get the ball out of the infield, at least Henry made contact.

I think people are confusing frustration with losing that game last night and what kind of ball player Henry wil be.

My take: if you can get us another proven bat that doesn't cost much, you do it!

I think reminding those who are saying he doesn't look like he's the answer that he has been successful in the limited sample size they are using to make that determination constitutes discussing the topic, but that's just me.

He's the one who commented and said the thread was absurd.

Respectfully, the Orioles have been very successful in terms of offense without a DH all year, and that's primarily because most/all other teams do not have both a shortstop or centerfielder that can hit. Some might have one, none have both. The corner infield and corner outfield positions are also all set with solid ML hitters. There's a reason we only complain about our DH situation.

The DH issue will improve even though they are only adding Urrutia. The kid can hit, and they can afford to get him wet there right now. The DH is a position for the Orioles to monitor, but it's not ultimately going to be why the Orioles (if the Orioles) miss the playoffs. That's why DD went after a pitcher last night.

Anyone think we have any shot at Quentin, Soriano, or MYoung? Those are my top three targets. Who is the best value?

Quentin would be a great acquisition, Petco is smothering him right now.

Split    G  AB HR SO   BA  OBP  SLG   OPSHome    36 118  4 26 .212 .314 .356  .670Away    40 138  8 25 .333 .413 .616 1.028

Soriano... meh. Michael Young... if we have to...

First off, I'm all for giving Urrutia a chance. But, where do you get that Manny was a miserable hitter and a hole in the lineup? Seriously? Are you just making stuff up for fun? Here is his line from 2012...

A .294 OBP is a HOLE. That's 26 points below average. A K rate over 20% and a walk rate just over 3%.

I get that he was a rookie. I understand it's not easy. My point was that Machado cut his teeth in the middle of a pennant race just like Urrutia and wasn't a good hitter. I stand by my statement.

A .294 OBP is a HOLE. That's 26 points below average. A K rate over 20% and a walk rate just over 3%.

I get that he was a rookie. I understand it's not easy. My point was that Machado cut his teeth in the middle of a pennant race just like Urrutia and wasn't a good hitter. I stand by my statement.

We'll politely agree to disagree. I think a .760 OPS for a 19 year old rookie is spectacular.

In any event, I think we can ALL agree that I hope Urrutia goes 3 for 4 with a bomb tonight!

I think we are talking about two separate things. It sounds like you are talking about Urrutia's limited MLB trials. I am referring to scouts' opinions based on his MiLB showings.

I assumed that you were. Thanks for sharing.

While I understand that OBP is important, there have been 2, 3, 4 win players that fit your general criteria. Greg Gagne basically did that in 1987 and was worth four wins. I'll take that kind of hole. Shawon Dunston once had an OBP under .300 but a slugging percentage over .500. That's not bad. You're describing 2008 Kevin Kouzmanoff, or 2005 Pudge Rodriguez, both productive players.

It's not because he's hitting .333 in 3 games. It's because he was hitting very well in the minors and ready to go into the MLB. He might start off slow on the learning curve but everything points to him being able to make the adjustments necessary to succeed at this level.

Adam Jones and Manny Machado were both MISERABLE hitters in their first years with the Orioles, and Urrutia isn't nearly as talented as they are. But Urrutia still projects to be a "Markakis Lite" and an asset to this ballclub. And for those who criticize the Orioles for starting him in the middle of a pennant race; where were you when Machado was a huge hole in the lineup in the middle of last year's race?

This is silly. Machado had immense value with his glove, he improved the team drastically just by playing defense. Henry has one job, hit the baseball, and it remains to be seen if he can do that. Thats a really bad comparison you tried to make there, you might want to change it.

Edit: Machado was worth almost a full WAR with the bat, its not like he was a black hole in the lineup.

That is your opinion or your conclusion? He hit .365 in the minors and OPS'd well over .900 combined and even mid 800's at Norfolk in limited AB's in a pitcher's home park. He's 4 for his first 12 and it's been determined that he's just an okay hitter and that he'll fail because he can't hit the slow stuff. If Urruita hits over .300 and OPS's over .800 was it a mistake not to go out and get a DH?

Nobody knows what kind of hitter he is, even you. Just because people aren't jumping on the bandwagon doesn't make them wrong. You want to use 260 MiL AB's as your barometer then thats your prerogative. Just don't slam other people who aren't ready to get on board with you. He has a lot to prove, and while he may end up hitting, he might not, either.

I haven't seen a single evaluator say he's an elite type talent, so it wouldn't be hard for people to believe he will struggle to hit this year.

Other than stating my opinion, where did I slam anyone, or say that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I can find my own post if you like where I predicted he would hit over .300 and OPS over .800 and said "the worst thing I can be is wrong". I might be wrong. I've stated my opinion. Again, show me where I slammed anyone for disagreeing with me.

Slammed was an over statement. I think one thing that nobody knows, is if he's going to hit. He might, he might not. I would much rather have a proven MLB bat at the DH spot right now, unfortunately, we don't have one in house, and it would be hard for Henry to do worse than the rest of the DH's we've been running out there. I will predict his OPS if he gets consistent AB's won't come near .800, though. Thats just my opinion, I'm not on the Henry wagon, this year anyway. I think he needs to develop.

Archived