2013 Baseball HOF induction this weekend

CA-ORIOLE

Sounds like a big hoot.

The only player selected is 19th century 'overlooked legend" Deacon White who played from 1871-1890 and put up a 45 WAR (11th most for players prior to 1900) as a catcher, third baseman and outfielder and was considered the premier catcher of the 1870's.

If that's not exciting enough we also have 40 year umpire Hank O'day whose big claim to fame is calling Frank Merkle out during the "Merkle boner" play and former Yankee owner Jacob Rupert.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/whitede01.shtml

http://sabr.org/latest/overlooked-legend-deacon-white-highlights-2013-baseball-hall-fame-ceremony

I guess we can also thank the steroid era for turning the HOF induction into a yawn fest.

I feel bad for all the folks who run small hotels and inns in Cooperstown. But they won't have this problem next year. You've got Maddux, Glavine, Mussina and Frank Thomas all eligible, in addition to this year's holdovers.

Here's the thing - the HOF Museum is not making any profit these days and they're run independently of MLB. Now I don't know how much under-the-table subsidizing is going on, but if there is a string of holier-than-thou, "I'm not voting for anybody" results from the BBWAA in the next few years the museum may get in serious financial trouble. If they go under we won't have anymore Hall of Fame voting - at least not like we're used to.

Tim Raines

Jeff Bagwell

Alan Trammell

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

I can "understand" (not really) not putting the last 2 in this year, but this would be the perfect year to make up for leaving those other 3 guys off the list in the past. Also, where the hell is Mike Piazza? Never had a steroid allegation. The greatest hitting C in baseball history, and they don't vote him in. The BBWA should be embarassed.

Tim Raines

Jeff Bagwell

Alan Trammell

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

I can "understand" (not really) not putting the last 2 in this year, but this would be the perfect year to make up for leaving those other 3 guys off the list in the past. Also, where the hell is Mike Piazza? Never had a steroid allegation. The greatest hitting C in baseball history, and they don't vote him in. The BBWA should be embarassed.

He hit for power in the 90's. That's all the BBWAA needs to be self-righteous idiots.

Archived