The Safer Maple Bat

srock

Interesting read about how MLB is addressing the exploding maple bat problem.

In short, the Forest Service has done some research, MLB has put out new guidelines, and the number of exploding bats is coming down.

The decline in shattered bats has continued for the past four years, and it can be measured by the new statistic Mr. Kretschmann?s team has given to baseball, a sport famous for them: multipiece failures per game. In 2008, the MPF rate was about 1.0. Through the first 1,300 games of 2009, after the rules were changed, it was 0.69, he reported.

Through the first 1,300 games of 2013, it is 0.47.

Not mentioned, but it's interesting that the implementation of the maple bats correlates fairly well to a decline in offense. I'm not really sure that's factor or not (I suspect other things), but I think it's possible that it may be a small factor.

Not mentioned, but it's interesting that the implementation of the maple bats correlates fairly well to a decline in offense. I'm not really sure that's factor or not (I suspect other things), but I think it's possible that it may be a small factor.

It would be interesting to see a comparison for those players who used maple bats vs. those who use ash.

This is interesting, but I'd almost rather they didn't come up with a solution and had to more radically modify the bat specs. At some point they might have to address the fact that around 1/3rd of outs are now Ks, and increasing every year, and the simplest way to fix that might be to increase the minimum size and weight of bats.

Archived