David Ortiz-I hate you

Flacco Machado

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another one of the reasons I don't like Ortiz and can't understand how he got his "good guy" image.

He's always been a whiny jerk who feels entitled to the strike zone he wants and even when his team is winning like tonight,he can't resist being an arrogant jerk.

It's why after their 04 victory that I wish they hadn't won.

Because they and their fanbase turned out (IMO) to be just as bad and in some cases worse then the Yankees,and Ortiz is at the top of that list.

Bad things tend to happen when you disrespect the game, and Ortiz apparently thought he was above the game. He wasn't just standing up straight, he left the batters box before the pitch came in. He screwed himself; the umpire didn't do it.

The Red Sox should take the initiative and suspend him - if they have any guts. He seriously endangered Pedroia, and others could have easily gotten injured. Pedroia - I believe - is their team captain - and has earned just as much respect throughout his career as Ortiz. By letting him play today, the Sox would be disrespecting Pedroia, imo.

[

Bad things tend to happen when you disrespect the game, and Ortiz apparently thought he was above the game. He wasn't just standing up straight, he left the batters box before the pitch came in. He screwed himself; the umpire didn't do it.

The Red Sox should take the initiative and suspend him - if they have any guts. He seriously endangered Pedroia, and others could have easily gotten injured. Pedroia - I believe - is their team captain - and has earned just as much respect throughout his career as Ortiz. By letting him play today, the Sox would be disrespecting Pedroia, imo.

This is exactly right. Ortiz whines about having an at bat taken away from him by the umpire in the post game press conference. He basically gave away his at bat by acting like a fool. Then he gets upset at the ump, gets tossed, and throws a tantrum in front of everyone. Way to take responsibilty for your actions.

I doubt that the Red Sox will suspend him. I really can't recall when a team suspended their own player over an incident like this. However, I think that his actions warrant a fine and suspension from MLB. Even if it's a one or two game suspension. As you and others have pointed out, someone could have been injured by his actions. He deserves to sit out a couple of games.

If an Oriole player did what Ortiz did tonight in our dugout I think Buck would want the player removed from his roster. Can you picture Buck over in the Red Sox dugout tonight trying to control Ortiz?

Really? Showalter would throw the guy off the roster? Overreact much? As bad as his tantrum was, you don't kick a guy off the team who is hitting .321 with 19 HR's and 65RBI's.

What the hell does respect have to do with calling balls and strikes? Too many baseball players whine about the whole disrespect thing, and I'm not sure they fully grasp the meaning of the term relative to what they're complaining about.

What the hell does respect have to do with calling balls and strikes? Too many baseball players whine about the whole disrespect thing, and I'm not sure they fully grasp the meaning of the term relative to what they're complaining about.

Agree. To me, respect is more about not stepping out of the batter's box while a pitcher is in his windup. And not posing and admiring your home runs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/rules_interest.jsp

Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone

The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

Rule 2.00q, addendum 6, subparagraph 3:

If you're a popular player from a team in a large media market the strike zone is whatever the hell you want it to be.

Because he does some charity work and is great with fans.

Virtually every rich player does charity work, and there are lots of players who are great with fans.

It's because a) he plays for Boston, and b) he draws a lot of attention to himself. Think about the home run derby -- he wasn't even in it, and yet he was on screen half the time. Ortiz and ESPN have a mutual lovefest going on.

If you encourage your children to embrace athletes as role models, you are a lousy parent, indeed. Athletes are grown up babies with spectacular physical talent. They are to be cherished for their amazing accomplishments. As for who they are as human beings... bleh.

This is such a silly and baseless comment I almost do not want to respond, but I will. You are automatically a lousy parent if you encourage your children to embrace athletes as role models? Encouraging children to embrace what Kevin Durant did, donating $1M to the Oklahoma tornado victims makes you a lousy parent? Encouraging your children to be a hard worker, who works to perfect his craft in a quiet way, like Tim Duncan makes you a lousy parent? What about encouraging my child to be like Dan Bylsma, head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins now who worked his tail off through the "minor leagues" of hockey to finally accomplish his dream and play in the NHL?

As someone who was raised to look up to athletes for their positive traits, and as someone who plans on encouraging his children to look up to professional athletes for their virtues and positive accomplishments, I am appalled and offended by this blanket statement you have made.

Just watching his post game interview.

Said he has 17 years in the league and doesn't deserve to be disrespected like that by having those pitches called strikes Said if you wanna get respect from the player, you have to respect the player. Where was his respect for Ascencio? Also said neither of the pitches were strikes, asked why he would call those. Said he doesn't snap everyday, that there is a reason people snap. Now he looks like a bad guy, he's not a bad guy, just out there trying to do his job and the umpire took his at bat away from him. Said he don't pitch, doesn't play defense, that the umpires not going to take his ab away like that.

What a self-absorbed moron. Stay in the batters box, or don't swing a sliders that bounce at your feet. And don't destroy the dugout phone with a baseball bat. Then maybe you'll get some respect.

What a self-absorbed moron. Stay in the batters box, or don't swing a sliders that bounce at your feet. And don't destroy the dugout phone with a baseball bat. Then maybe you'll get some respect.

His use of the word "respect" is quite ironic considering his actions last night.

Archived