A-Roid offered a deal to avoid a lifetime ban

Aglets

Drungo is unfortunately correct.

For MLB to be trying this they must have the Players Union on their side, at least when it comes to Arod. To bypass the first two layers of punishment, I don't care for it from a procedural standpoint.

Well, that sucks. I want to see the MFY punished.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't see him not playing for two full years because by the time he'd come back he'd be 40, or about to turn 40. He's pretty much screwed no matter what path he chooses, at this point hang it up and call it a career.

It is about money. It doesn't matter if he plays or not he still gets his 25 million a year.

I would take the deal. He is already getting paid for most of this season. So he loses a little more than one year of salary. That is if it is true that he recruited others to biogenesis and he obstructed the league from finding the truth. Seems like that could warrant a life-time ban.

Of course, why was he taking steroids when he already had his huge contract? He could have sucked for a few years and the Yankees would eventually just release him and pay him his huge contract anyway. So he isn't a logical person.

It is about money. It doesn't matter if he plays or not he still gets his 25 million a year.

I would take the deal. He is already getting paid for most of this season. So he loses a little more than one year of salary. That is if it is true that he recruited others to biogenesis and he obstructed the league from finding the truth. Seems like that could warrant a life-time ban.

Of course, why was he taking steroids when he already had his huge contract? He could have sucked for a few years and the Yankees would eventually just release him and pay him his huge contract anyway. So he isn't a logical person.

We are talking about alex rodriguez here. Not logical is a bit of an understatement.

He is quite possibly the vainest athlete i have ever witnessed during my lifetime. Maybe Lance Armstrong is close. He wants to be considered the greatest player of all time and I have no doubt that he had eyes on the Bonds record, so I could see him wanting to get the extra help to get there.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22924166/report-arod-offered-deal-to-sit-out-1314-avoid-lifetime-ban

The deal is if he sits out for all of this season AND the 2014 season, he could return in '15. This way he loses some money but could still earn his (considerable) salary in 15-17.

Or if he wants to fight apparently MLB is considering going for the PERMABAN and he could lose everything.

What would you do if you were him?

Now, assuming that you were trying to think rationally when making that decision, what do you think the REAL a-rod will do?

I think A-Rod will gamble on himself and lose.

I guess if his suspension is for next year too then okay. I just don't want that jerk

getting away with anything. If lesser

We are talking about alex rodriguez here. Not logical is a bit of an understatement.

He is quite possibly the vainest athlete i have ever witnessed during my lifetime. Maybe Lance Armstrong is close. He wants to be considered the greatest player of all time and I have no doubt that he had eyes on the Bonds record, so I could see him wanting to get the extra help to get there.

arod.-braden.jpg

Not sure how many of you are "friends" with Roy Firestone on Facebook, but he posted something today about how a lifetime ban for ARod would put money back into the Yankees' pockets, and Buck was so mad about it because he felt it would all but assure Matt Wieters would end up in pinstripes as we won't be able to compete with an astronomical Yankees offer.

Did anyone else hear this?

Not sure how many of you are "friends" with Roy Firestone on Facebook, but he posted something today about how a lifetime ban for ARod would put money back into the Yankees' pockets, and Buck was so mad about it because he felt it would all but assure Matt Wieters would end up in pinstripes as we won't be able to compete with an astronomical Yankees offer.

Did anyone else hear this?

Honestly the Yankees can have him.. He has been a bust.. Sure he is a good defensive catcher but he was not drafted to be a defensive catcher.. I rather spend the $$ on a real bat or TOR starter..

Morale of the story is that bad contracts are not a business consideration when your the MFY because the MLB and the Union will bend procedures in order to bring competitive advantage to the MFY. Bailing out the MFY. Some teams are to big to fail and MLB will do what ever it takes to stop that train wreck.

I'm no fan of ARod or any of the guys who cheated, but something about the whole "your penalty may be worse if you choose to appeal" thing strikes me as odd and almost un-American.

That's a misrepresentation. A-Rod is facing a possible lifetime suspension that would void his current contract entirely. Even if he appeals and loses, the penalty won't be any worse than if he didn't appeal, and there's the possibility he could win. OTOH, if he cuts a deal for a reduced suspension in exchange for not appealing, he's assured of getting the remaining dollars on his contract after the suspension is completed.

That's a misrepresentation. A-Rod is facing a possible lifetime suspension that would void his current contract entirely. Even if he appeals and loses, the penalty won't be any worse than if he didn't appeal, and there's the possibility he could win. OTOH, if he cuts a deal for a reduced suspension in exchange for not appealing, he's assured of getting the remaining dollars on his contract after the suspension is completed.

Actually, I think I was misreading the situation. Stand corrected -- thanks.

I really hope the Angels don't try and pull this same type of crap when Pujols is old as hell and completely finished.

As for ARod I do not think a PERMABAND attempt would succeed. So taking about a 200 game suspension doesn't make sense. A 100 game suspension would give the MLB more leverage, and a more lenient penalty would be more likely to draw out an admission of guilt.

Archived