I can't believe Buck pushed Chen that far again

Frobby

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me and definitely not only to me, he (Buck) was flirting with unspeakable disaster for the club's morale - I think the club has sort of been reeling since the last outing Chen had to be quite honest.

I don't understand the logic; it's way above and beyond me.

For what it's worth, Chen's fastball hadn't noticeably depreciated by the time Buck pulled him. And Chen is a lot fresher at this point in the season than guys who've played all year.

I think, if anything, it proves that Chen can go the distance. I would've probably brought out O'Day to start the 8th, but I'm also not the manager of the Baltimore Orioles.

Loss of command is a greater indication of fatigue than loss of velocity. Which makes it easier to identify with Chen imo since his command is generally so outstanding.

I defended Buck's decision to leave Chen in the last game, but I can't believe he did it again. Unlike Hosmer, Castro doesn't hit lefties well, but even so -- 119 pitches? No way I would have done that. To me, today was the worse decision, but Buck got the better result.

I almost pulled my hair out more when he came out then I did after seeing what's his name dance around 3rd base for 15 mins before stealing home. But it just payed off, hopefully from now on O'Day just goes the fullinning.

Loss of command is a greater indication of fatigue than loss if velocity. Which makes it easier to identify with Chen imo since his command is generally so outstanding.

Good point. He was starting to elevate his pitches a bit in the 8th.

Though he apparently had enough touch left to fan that last batter. :)

If we weren't in such a crucial position as where are now, I wouldn't like it but could accept it. But given where we are a loss would of been devastating. It worked out but going to the pen is the decision more likely to pay off.

Buck knows what is what, don't forget if it was up to the guys on the forum then JJ would be long gone as the closer. Then half of you would be complaining the starter was left in too long, the other half not long enough.

When you are managing real people then the game can't be played on paper...remember the Texas WC game last year?

I was at the game and I was very surprised to see Chen come out for the 8th. It "worked" this time, but we won't really know if it "worked" until we see how Chen is in his next start. Pitchers who throw too many pitches in one start often pay for it in their next start.

I dont know, Buck has mentioned multiple times in post-game interviews when asked about pulling/leaving guys in, of wanting his starting pitchers to come out mid-inning during a good start so they receive an ovation, when I saw Chen going back in, thats what my mind was flashing to, and thats not usually a good idea.

In general I feel that over the last couple weeks Showalter has been leaving the starters in a bit too long. We've got a full and rested bullpen now, use it. Otherwise it was a silly move to trade Delmonico for Rodriguez if K-Rod is not going to be used in high-leverage situations.

Good point. He was starting to elevate his pitches a bit in the 8th.

Though he apparently had enough touch left to fan that last batter. :)

Yeah, I thought we were in trouble after those first couple pitches to Altuve, but kind of understood letting him pitch to the lefty after going that far anyways.

I was surprised when Chen came out for the 8th. IMO, this has to be Buck trying to push Chen farther. If a pitcher leaves the game around 100 pitches every game, he never builds up the endurance or confidence to pitch past that. If you can push a starter to 110-120 he becomes stronger between 80-100. So instead of the tank becoming empty at 90-100 they stay stronger during those pitches.

Archived