Do you want JJ Hardy after 2014?

Frobby

Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?

Simple question. Hardy is under contract through 2014, and will be a free agent after that. We could keep him and leave Machado at 3B, we could let him go and move Manny to SS and find a new 3B, or we could let him go and find a new SS and leave Manny at 3B.

Hardy is 30 this season, and so would be 32 by 2015 if we re-signed him. He is still a very steady defender and has above average power for a SS. You know Buck loves the guy.

So what do you say -- does Hardy have a future with this team beyond next year?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple question. Hardy is under contract through 2014, and will be a free agent after that. We could keep him and leave Machado at 3B, we could let him go and move Manny to SS and find a new 3B, or we could let him go and find a new SS and leave Manny at 3B.

Hardy is 30 this season, and so would be 32 by 2015 if we re-signed him. He is still a very steady defender and has above average power for a SS. You know Buck loves the guy.

I vote yes. We are spoiled by the days of Cal @ SS.

Keep Manny @ 3rd for now.

That is, as long as the $$$$$ is fair to both sides, then resign him.

Yes I do. I want the team to keep Manny at 3rd. Maybe Manny could be the next

Brooks. Maybe not as good as Brooks but I believe be will be damn good.

Yes with the caveat that something needs to be done to increase the team OBP skills, because Hardy does not bring that to the table. That said, it's going to be VERY difficult to find another good 3B if Manny moves to SS. There's really nothing in the system or in FA in that regard.

I said not because of the very caveat you stated. He can't and won't improve his OBP.

Yes I do. I want the team to keep Manny at 3rd. Maybe Manny could be the next

Brooks. Maybe not as good as Brooks but I believe be will be damn good.

Some think he is already better than Brooks at 3rd.

Give the kid a couple of more years, and if he can maintain the quality play over the years like Brook did, then he will go down as the best 3rd for the Orioles.

This is kind of a no-brainer IMO. If he stays healthy, Hardy will still be an above average SS. And right now, I'm all for keeping Machado at 3B. Davis at 1B is a given, and Schoop will likely be at 2B and will provide even more offensive power to the infield.

I really like that infield!!

Orioles need to improve OBP

I think Hardy at SS depends on whether Machado is happy to stay at 3B or wants to move back to SS

If Machado moves to SS then perhaps Schoop takes 3B, and Flaherty 2B in the near term.

Decision doesn't need to be made until end of next year, lets see if Hardy stays healthy and maintains power.

His low OBP seems to mean that when the power dries up he will be out of baseball quickly.

I don't see why we would mess with what's working without a viable alternative. As long as he is willing to sign an extension (I think he is) I'm signing him to a 2 year deal with a club option for 2017.

Orioles need to improve OBP

I think Hardy at SS depends on whether Machado is happy to stay at 3B or wants to move back to SS

If Machado moves to SS then perhaps Schoop takes 3B, and Flaherty 2B in the near term.

Decision doesn't need to be made until end of next year, lets see if Hardy stays healthy and maintains power.

His low OBP seems to mean that when the power dries up he will be out of baseball quickly.

What is the average of the OBP for SS, not a lot of power hitting SS in this game.

I guess Ballenger wouldnt have played for 18 seasons for you, either.

In this day and age, no. That era is dead. Most SS are required to hit these days.

It's much easier to find a 3B anyway so that should only increase the reasons to let JJ walk. (btw pending where we are at I'd consider trading him next year)

Archived