Do you want JJ Hardy after 2014?

Frobby

Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?

Orioles need to improve OBP

I think Hardy at SS depends on whether Machado is happy to stay at 3B or wants to move back to SS

If Machado moves to SS then perhaps Schoop takes 3B, and Flaherty 2B in the near term.

Decision doesn't need to be made until end of next year, lets see if Hardy stays healthy and maintains power.

His low OBP seems to mean that when the power dries up he will be out of baseball quickly.

Your second to last paragraph is spot on, IMO. I think they keep him for 2-3 years after his current deal expires.

Selfishly, I'd like to see what Manny can do at short. But I don't believe they'll find another 3B that would be better than Hardy/Machado.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this day and age, no. That era is dead. Most SS are required to hit these days.

It's much easier to find a 3B anyway so that should only increase the reasons to let JJ walk. (btw pending where we are at I'd consider trading him next year)

Hardy does hit, again not like Cal, so we are spoiled.

The SS is such an important position, I would take above average defense.

Hardy has some bat, he had a key hand in the win last night, driving in 2.

Hell, he made the AL ASG as a starter.

What is the average of the OBP for SS, not a lot of power hitting SS in this game.

Hardy is 6th in OPS among the 19 SS with enough PA to qualify for the batting title. He's 8th in wOBA, however, due to his poor OBP, which is weighted more heavily in wOBA than in OPS. Still, that's above average. And let's not forget that Hardy also is above average defensively, currently 6th in UZR at 5.1. Put it all together and Hardy is currently 7th in fWAR at 2.0 among major league shortstops.

While I'd like Hardy to have a better OBP, I'm thrilled to have him on this team, considering everything else he brings to the table. My real issue is, will he be the same player at age 32 as he is at 30? How much range will he lose by 2015 and beyond (since he won't be signing a one-year extension)? My guess is that he'll still be an average or better overall SS at ages 32-33, considering that he's well above average now, but there is some risk there. At the same time, I think he's a pretty key element of this team, a steadying influence and a great teammate. So, it's a tough call. Not one we need to make right now, either.

Hardy is 6th in OPS among the 19 SS with enough PA to qualify for the batting title. He's 8th in wOBA, however, due to his poor OBP, which is weighted more heavily in wOBA than in OPS. Still, that's above average. And let's not forget that Hardy also is above average defensively, currently 6th in UZR at 5.1. Put it all together and Hardy is currently 7th in fWAR at 2.0 among major league shortstops.

While I'd like Hardy to have a better OBP, I'm thrilled to have him on this team, considering everything else he brings to the table. My real issue is, will he be the same player at age 32 as he is at 30? How much range will he lose by 2015 and beyond (since he won't be signing a one-year extension)? My guess is that he'll still be an average or better overall SS at ages 32-33, considering that he's well above average now, but there is some risk there. At the same time, I think he's a pretty key element of this team, a steadying influence and a great teammate. So, it's a tough call. Not one we need to make right now, either.

Which is why you give him a 2 year deal with a couple of team options.

According to MLB, Hardy is 6th overall offensively among AL SS.

I like what Dempsey said the other night, a key to this team's success, is their chemistry and how they all get along well with each other.

As always it depends on circumstances, available alternatives, and money. If extending JJ makes it more difficult to do the same for Manny or Chris Davis, then I say no. If we can get him at a good price and keep everybody else, then two more years of JJ would be great. He is rock solid defensively, brings some pop offensively, and I enjoy watching him play. But honestly, if we could get somebody like Alcides Escobar for $2 million a year, I think we would be getting better value than 3 yrs of JJ Hardy at age 33-35 for $8 million a year.

I voted no as I'm generally against signing middle infielders in their 30's. But, I could be convinced to extend him year by year. Unfortunately, I doubt he'd like that idea much and will likely be looking for a 3-year deal.

My preference would be to see how 2014 goes and make a decision then. If they decide to go in another direction, we have his replacement in house. We just need to replace the replacement, but that's another issue.

It depends on how much money and term he wants.

I don't worry too much about the lack of OBP. Other positions can be improved offensively (most notably DH) to improve that area.

What I worry about is a possibly decline in range as he ages. Short term and low(ish) money, and I extend. I like the 2-year extension idea.

As always it depends on circumstances, available alternatives, and money. If extending JJ makes it more difficult to do the same for Manny or Chris Davis, then I say no. If we can get him at a good price and keep everybody else, then two more years of JJ would be great. He is rock solid defensively, brings some pop offensively, and I enjoy watching him play. But honestly, if we could get somebody like Alcides Escobar for $2 million a year, I think we would be getting better value than 3 yrs of JJ Hardy at age 33-35 for $8 million a year.

Just so it's clear, Hardy will be 32 (not 33) in the first year of his next contract. So a three year deal would be for ages 32-34, not 33-35.

I do think 3/$24 mm is about what Hardy will cost. Per fangraphs he's been worth $19.4 mm in 2011, $11.9 mm in 2012, and $10.2 mm in 2013 so far. We've done very well on his contracts.

Manny's not moving to shortstop. I think people should accept that now.

He's looking like he'll be what, around a ~4 dWAR player at third? Unless the O's acquire a key player whose best position by a distance is 3rd (like a Chase Headley), hey're not moving arguably the best defensive 3rd baseman in the sport off his position.

Archived