Do you want JJ Hardy after 2014?

Frobby

Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who do you put on 3rd, if Hardy moves to 2nd?

Don't know. I suppose you could go for a guy like Headley via free agency, but that's not likely. It's more so that I don't think Hardy's bat translate well to 3rd, even compared to Manny down the road. The power translates well enough, but the OPS doesn't for me.

I'm not interested in an extension at this point. I want to see if JJ gets through the rest of 2013 and 2014 healthy and how he looks. His hands are great, but I'm worried about his range in the future and whether or not he could easily transition to 3B or 2B.

Orioles need to improve OBP

I think Hardy at SS depends on whether Machado is happy to stay at 3B or wants to move back to SS

If Machado moves to SS then perhaps Schoop takes 3B, and Flaherty 2B in the near term.

Decision doesn't need to be made until end of next year, lets see if Hardy stays healthy and maintains power.

His low OBP seems to mean that when the power dries up he will be out of baseball quickly.

How are we improving OBP replacing Hardy with Flaherty? What has Flaherty done that makes you think he will be better than Hardy?

The minimum, based on Alomar getting in this year, is three years.
Then Hardy should get in too!

Premature to say, considering that Alomar is a major league Hall of Famer. However, Alomar produced 12.5 rWAR in his Orioles career, and Hardy is at 10.0 after 2.67 seasons with another 1.33 to go even if he isn't extended. So, he'd have a reasonably good case, and playing on some playoff teams definitely boosts his candidacy.

Premature to say, considering that Alomar is a major league Hall of Famer. However, Alomar produced 12.5 rWAR in his Orioles career, and Hardy is at 10.0 after 2.67 seasons with another 1.33 to go even if he isn't extended. So, he'd have a reasonably good case, and playing on some playoff teams definitely boosts his candidacy.

He is also a fan favorite and that helps.

I would very definitely explore what we could get in a trade for Hardy this offseason. Assuming he finishes the season relatively strong, Hardy will have a lot of trade value. We have a good/great in house replacement. Hardy, like all middle infielders is not likely to get better in his mid 30s. This offseason will be the best time to move him for a long term piece or two and there are plenty of teams in need.

I would very definitely explore what we could get in a trade for Hardy this offseason. Assuming he finishes the season relatively strong, Hardy will have a lot of trade value. We have a good/great in house replacement. Hardy, like all middle infielders is not likely to get better in his mid 30s. This offseason will be the best time to move him for a long term piece or two and there are plenty of teams in need.

The only great in-house replacement we have is Manny, and what do you replace him with at 3rd?

Sorry, I think Hardy is still above average at SS, sign him another two years, and keep these core guys together.

Archived