Do you want JJ Hardy after 2014?

Frobby

Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?

Impossible o answer this question now. Depends on his level of play in 2014, and Schoops' development, as well as how Manny projects at SS as opposed to 3B.

I think it's premature, too. You wait as long as you can to address this. Hardy might be solid in his mid 30s, but he might be a slightly above average glove with a terrible OBP. I like Hardy, but I'm very reluctant to lock up pretty good players through their mid-30s unless it's a very team-friendly deal.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd extend him through 2016, but no farther. SS is not the place to be looking to upgrade the team's OBP; most teams would be happy to get any offense from that position.

I don't care about individual components of value as much as the overall value. If Hardy can be a 3+ win player with a .280 OBP that's fine. But that's unlikely.

The only great in-house replacement we have is Manny, and what do you replace him with at 3rd?

Sorry, I think Hardy is still above average at SS, sign him another two years, and keep these core guys together.

Yes, move Machado to shortstop and live happily ever after :)

Find someone to play 3rd. Maybe that's Schoop or maybe that's the guy we get in a trade for Hardy or maybe we get him elsewhere. I agree that Hardy is above average now but there is a very good chance he will not be as good over the next few years and this is a chance to cash in, get younger and cheaper and allocate resources ($) to another position.

I think it's premature, too. You wait as long as you can to address this. Hardy might be solid in his mid 30s, but he might be a slightly above average glove with a terrible OBP. I like Hardy, but I'm very reluctant to lock up pretty good players through their mid-30s unless it's a very team-friendly deal.

Great glove, terrible OBP, but he ranks 6th among the rest of AL SS in hitting, so I can live with that.

Sign him two years, options too, but, at numbers that are fair to the team and to Hardy.

I love JJ, but I'm very much in favor of trading him in the offseason and letting Schoop be our starting 3B next year. Even if he provides less value than JJ next year, it'll be better for the team in the long run.

Schoop is an unproven prospect, and at this point, I would rather keep a known quality player, if the price is right.

Schoop is an unproven prospect, and at this point, I would rather keep a known quality player, if the price is right.

We know what Hardy has done in the majors but you also must factor in what it costs to keep him both in terms of players and dollars and that middle infielders don't often age well.

We know what Hardy has done in the majors but you also must factor in what it costs to keep him both in terms of players and dollars and that middle infielders don't often age well.

Hardy is at the bottom side of the 30 bracket and not the upper side.

I don't see his skills degrading over the next two years, he is playing as well as he ever as at SS.

I'd rather trade from a position of strength to try and upgrade other parts of our team. Kind of like the Rays did with James Shields this past offseason.

Obviously we wouldn't get the same type of return, but it's the same theory.

Hardy is at the bottom side of the 30 bracket and not the upper side.

I don't see his skills degrading over the next two years, he is playing as well as he ever as at SS.

There are only 2 starting shortstops over the age of 31 in the entire MLB: Jeter and Rollins. It could just be a random fact or it could be related to how hard it is to play the position after a certain age (note -- Rollins (34) is in pretty steep decline).

The only great in-house replacement we have is Manny, and what do you replace him with at 3rd?

Sorry, I think Hardy is still above average at SS, sign him another two years, and keep these core guys together.

I'd extend him through 2016, but no farther. SS is not the place to be looking to upgrade the team's OBP; most teams would be happy to get any offense from that position.

I think if Hardy has another good year in 2014, market forces will probably compel the Orioles to give him three years or let someone else sign him. Heck, Marco Scutaro got a three year, $20 mm deal and he's 37 years old. Rollins is in the middle of a 3/$33 mm deal he signed at age 33. The only way Hardy will sign a two-year deal is if we hold the line there and he decides that he really, really, really wants to stay in Baltimore. As much as I'd like to believe that, I doubt it plays out that way. He already gave us a bargain on his last deal.

There are only 2 starting shortstops over the age of 31 in the entire MLB: Jeter and Rollins. It could just be a random fact or it could be related to how hard it is to play the position after a certain age (note -- Rollins (34) is in pretty steep decline).

Jeter sucks at defense, always has, cant say that about his bat.

Rollins is in decline, sure, it happens, why, but maybe bad genes, or he didnt take care of his body, hard to say.

But that doesn't mean Hardy will. Cal played well, to his late 30's.

Jeter sucks at defense, always has, cant say that about his bat.

Rollins is in decline, sure, it happens, why, but maybe bad genes, or he didnt take care of his body, hard to say.

But that doesn't mean Hardy will. Cal played well, to his late 30's.

Not at SS...

Clint Barmes is 34.

Obviously, the better you were in your prime, the longer you can remain at SS. Hardy's been pretty elite defensively and I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll still be a starting SS at age 34.

Archived