Buck Goes Off on Bud. Calls him Out by Name.

weams

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MLB decided that they were comfortable with whatever the arbitrator decided.

So is this an arbitrator that MLB has the power to fire? Is it the same format as the panel that overturned the Braun suspension? I ask because I do not trust the PA to look after Arod's best interests as a Union Member at this point.

Mlb radio was saying that the negotiations going on are not between ARod and MLB, but between the Yankees and MLB. If that's the case, and the team is being allowed to negotiate their terms, I will have lost the little faith I've had left in baseball.
Baseball has an integrity problem. MLB has a financial interest in the Dynasty clubs like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. This interest conflicts with baseball as institution since they would like the best teams to win in a transparent manner but are required to act when the chosen teams fail to perform. For example, the Red Sox were able to dump a quarter of billion dollars in contracts that was hamstringing their competitive efforts. The Mega Rich Dogers took on the payroll and the Red Sox now have one of the best records in baseball. This effected the Orioles since we are the same division. Baseball has been creative by altering the playoff format thereby increasing the possibility of the Dynasty teams and rewarding the non-dynasty teams by playoff inclusion. Again, I say this is an integrity problem. I say restructure Arods contract over 30years and allow him to retire. The Yankees would then be allowed to fall under the luxury tax and spend there way back into contention.The players Union does not lose face. Selig could tend broker the peace. Yankees and the Red Sox back on top and allow everybody else to fight for the scrapes.

So is this an arbitrator that MLB has the power to fire? Is it the same format as the panel that overturned the Braun suspension? I ask because I do not trust the PA to look after Arod's best interests as a Union Member at this point.

No, they did not renew that guy's contract. This is a different guy. I am sure he does not have a lifetime contract either.

MLBPA requested a settlement meeting today on Alex's behalf. MLB rejected it based on his accusation that the Yankees and MLB had colluded against him.

No, they did not renew that guy's contract. This is a different guy. I am sure he does not have a lifetime contract either.

Oh I know they fired that guy when he had the temerity to disagree with them. I am just curious if the new arbiter has the same sword over his head.

Baseball has an integrity problem. MLB has a financial interest in the Dynasty clubs like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. This interest conflicts with baseball as institution since they would like the best teams to win in a transparent manner but are required to act when the chosen teams fail to perform. For example, the Red Sox were able to dump a quarter of billion dollars in contracts that was hamstringing their competitive efforts. The Mega Rich Dogers took on the payroll and the Rod Sox now have one of the best records in baseball. This effected the Orioles since we are the same division. Baseball has been creative by altering the playoff format thereby increasing the possibility of the Dynasty teams and rewarding the non-dynasty teams by playoff inclusion. Again, I say this is an integrity problem. I say restructure Arods contract over 30years and allow him to retire. The Yankees would then be allowed to fall under the luxury tax and spend there way back into contention.The players Union does not lose dace. Selig could tend broker the peace. Yankees and the Red Sox back on top and allow everybody else to fight for the scrapes.

I don't like your solution.

Baseball has an integrity problem. MLB has a financial interest in the Dynasty clubs like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. This interest conflicts with baseball as institution since they would like the best teams to win in a transparent manner but are required to act when the chosen teams fail to perform. For example, the Red Sox were able to dump a quarter of billion dollars in contracts that was hamstringing their competitive efforts. The Mega Rich Dogers took on the payroll and the Rod Sox now have one of the best records in baseball. This effected the Orioles since we are the same division. Baseball has been creative by altering the playoff format thereby increasing the possibility of the Dynasty teams and rewarding the non-dynasty teams by playoff inclusion. Again, I say this is an integrity problem. I say restructure Arods contract over 30years and allow him to retire. The Yankees would then be allowed to fall under the luxury tax and spend there way back into contention.The players Union does not lose dace. Selig could tend broker the peace. Yankees and the Red Sox back on top and allow everybody else to fight for the scrapes.

Nice post.

Oh I know they fired that guy when he had the temerity to disagree with them. I am just curious if the new arbiter has the same sword over his head.

I have no facts, but I would be surprised if MLBPA or MLB would agree to a lifetime arrangment.

I have no facts, but I would be surprised if MLBPA or MLB would agree to a lifetime arrangment.

I am speaking of utilizing an independent arbiter that can not be dismissed if he disagrees with MLB. As opposed to one that has seen proof that if he should disagree with MLB he will lose a plumb job.

There have also been sources that say that the MLB has lessened their suspension to 200-250 games because an arbitrator will have an easier time going with MLB than if they tried to issue a lifetime ban.

And ARod is so vain, he doesn't even want to give up the $30M or so he would lose in the season ban even if it meant he would keep the rest of it. He would rather risk that $70M left to get the $30M he would stand to lose now.

Yeah, with Rodriguez, I think that this is the crux of the matter. I've spoken before about all of the stupidity/vanity/bush league type of behavior that he has exhibited since he left the Mariners as a free agent back in 2001 (which was in my rat's ass of an opinion, the worst decision that he made, and when all of his troubles started and snowballed.) He decided to leave a first-place team of which he was well-liked by his teammates and the fans for a last-place team (the Rangers) because they topped all offers of the several contending teams that were also courting him at the time. With the exception of the 2009 World Series ring that he won with the Yankees, it's been one disaster after another for him since, including the Rangers finishing in last place all 3 years that he was with them and then immediately vaulting into contention after he left, finishing 2 games out of first place, his "I got it" stunt in Toronto, his hamburger helper slap at Bronson Arroyo's mitt in the 2004 A.L.C.S., his testing positive for steroids which forced him to admit his use while he was playing for the Rangers, his ill-advised comments during the 2007 World Series that he was "underpaid and under-appreciated" by the Yankees because he was making "only" $ 25 Million, etc.

I really think that he is a stupid person, and not just because I dislike him a lot. If he fights M.L.B. on their proposed suspension, I think that it has more to do with his stupidity and his vanity more so than his character in "doing the right thing."

The sword of Damocles? But hanging by a Gordian Knot most likely.

Weams, I don't like it either but when a business has anti-trust exemption, a monopoly, special powers like the "best interest of baseball clause" then anything is possible. Lastly factor in the cost to the industry if the Dynasty clubs are not part of the playoff hunt or in the WS then I think that drastic things can and will happen.

I am speaking of utilizing an independent arbiter that can not be dismissed if he disagrees with MLB. As opposed to one that has seen proof that if he should disagree with MLB he will lose a plumb job.

I think the third arbitrator can be dismissed by either the MLB or the MLBPA. no?

Archived