Buck Goes Off on Bud. Calls him Out by Name.

weams

I am a fan of baseball but this Arod Stuff is all about protecting the popular teams globally. In Latin America there is only the Red Soxs and MFY. Last year business in the bars were down because people did not come out as much because the fehhhing Soxs were lousy. This year business is worst because the Yankees are treading water. The whole stinks!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dumb remark by Buck. Bud doesn't control what the CBA says, and Buck shouldn't be mentioning Wieters by name in a remark like this. How is Wieters supposed to take that?
Yeah that puts Matt in an awkward position. I'd expect Buck to show a little more restraint there.

I agree that it puts Wieters in an awkward position.

However, as is the case with baseball (and life in general) ...... **** happens. I'm sure that Matt wasn't expecting to have to deal with something like this out of the clear blue, but Buck said it, and he can't turn back the clock and unsay it.

I'm sure that Showalter AND all of the Orioles players and coaches are feeling some frustration right about now (even before tonight's loss.) Hopefully, Wieters will be able to process it on a bigger scale than just taking this one comment from Showalter at face value, and chalk it up to the frustrations of an otherwise excellent manager that made an unfortunate, ill-advised comment. :)

I agree that it puts Wieters in an awkward position.

However, as is the case with baseball (and life in general) ...... **** happens. I'm sure that Matt wasn't expecting to have to deal with something like this out of the clear blue, but Buck said it, and he can't turn back the clock and unsay it.

I'm sure that Showalter AND all of the Orioles players and coaches are feeling some frustration right about now (even before tonight's loss.) Hopefully, Wieters will be able to process it on a bigger scale than just taking this one comment from Showalter at face value, and chalk it up to the frustrations of an otherwise excellent manager that made an unfortunate, ill-advised comment. :)

Also, this just dawned on me ......

Wieters can be somewhat flattered by the whole thing. After all, Buck is essentially saying that it would be a HUGE deal if Wieters did indeed leave the Orioles via free agency and sign with the Yankees in two years. I mean, if he thought that Wieters was a crappy player, or just an average player, he probably wouldn't have used his name as an example of the (potential) ramifications of the Yankees being able to escape Alex Rodriguez' contract, and subsequently avoid the accompanying luxury tax.

Why is everyone saying Buck made a bad comment about Wieters?

It was a compliment, and that's how Wieters will take it. Buck is saying Wieters is so good, the Yankees will overpay for him.

What is so bad about that?

It basically singles out Wieters as a mercenary who will sell himself to the highest bidder. And while Boras may indeed lead Matt down that path, it's a bad idea to say that about a guy who is trying to help his team make the playoffs and likely will still be here the next two years.

Suspending A-Rod for life would be an absolute travesty. When the Yankees signed Rodriguez to that huge contract, they knew that he wouldn't be worth it on the back end of the deal. The reason you make those deals is that the front end will be good enough to justify the pain you receive on the back end. If he gets suspended for life now, that takes away the backend. So the Yankees would have won the 2009 World Series in part because they signed Rodriguez to a huge contract that no one else could afford, and just when that contract started to get really painful and crippling, the league comes along and rescues the Yankees from their own mistake.

Why is everyone saying Buck made a bad comment about Wieters?

It was a compliment, and that's how Wieters will take it. Buck is saying Wieters is so good, the Yankees will overpay for him.

What is so bad about that?

It also implies greed and perhaps even a lack of loyalty.

The Sox/Yankees want to win, that is something the O's could learn from and stop making excuses. Sox for instance, get Peavy and Garza. O's get Norris and Feldman. Two excellent starting pitchers vs two mediocre bums from the bargain basement. Who is going to make the playoffs?

The Sox/Yankees want to win, that is something the O's could learn from and stop making excuses. Sox for instance, get Peavy and Garza. O's get Norris and Feldman. Two excellent starting pitchers vs two mediocre bums from the bargain basement. Who is going to make the playoffs?

1. The Sox got Peavy, not Peavy and Garza.

2. I'd rather have gotten Norris for 2 years for what we gave up, rather than trade Schoop+ for 1 more year of an aging, injury prone Peavy who hasn't been that good in the AL besides last year.

Maybe the team is upset that Wieters hasn't signed a new contract yet. Weren't there indications several months go they thought they could get a deal done? Maybe Buck threw his comment out there to test Wieters. I think Wieters is a major disappointment and not worth a huge contract. We've talked about this over and over for a few years now. If a good catcher is available this off season I would as someone else mentioned listen to offers for Wieters in a trade. If Selig helps the Yankees there will be a lot of unhappy people in and around baseball. A travesty? For sure!

Archived