Buck Goes Off on Bud. Calls him Out by Name.

weams

thats a bit harsh.

So there is not one decent guy who has Boras as an agent?

One can be a decent guy and still want to end up with the largest contract possible regardless of who is paying it. I think it's exceedingly rare for Boras to do anything but that. Not impossible, but I have no problem with the assumption that hiring Boras implies money is the most important thing at contract time.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone here hates the Yankees and would like to see them stuck with A-Rod's contract. However, I think it's clouding everyone's logic except for Frobby. The Rays can only afford to sign one or a couple of players to long term deals. Suppose Longoria was in A-Rod's place right now. Forcing the Rays to pay off that contract while Longo is out of baseball, would cripple the franchise.

I don't think the Yankees should be forced to "pay it" but I don't think they should be allowed to reset the Luxury Tax. IMO the best solution would be that Luxury Tax status cannot be adjusted down when a player is suspended.

as much as I dislike Boras and his tactics.

This is the land of the free, and going after the almighty dollar is one of their rights.

Absolutely agree with this. I also think it's fair to assume that specific right is singularly important to a player who chooses Boras as an agent.

Not necessarily cripple. They have a lot of great pitchers that could either carry the team or help them net another good hitter.

I'm not anti-PED, so ideally A-Rod wouldn't be suspended for anything. But, I also disagree with bailing out teams from their own bad decisions. Whether that team is Tampa or New York.

But what distinguishes a "bad decision" from a good one? RZNJ's Longoria example is very good. The Rays have no reason to think he is using PED's. The contract they signed him to makes sense, even though it is a huge commitment relative to their overall payroll. So why punish them if, unbeknownst to them, Longoria is later found to have used PED's?

What makes ARod's case so different is that, separate and apart from the whole PED issue, ARod is now grossly overpaid, and would be overpaid for the next four years, but for the possible lifetime ban. If he wasn't suspended at all, he'd be paid another $86 mm and the Yankees would be very lucky to get $30 mm in value (probably a lot less than that). That's the main reason we're all unhappy that the Yankees may get out from under their very stupid contract.

But what distinguishes a "bad decision" from a good one? RZNJ's Longoria example is very good. The Rays have no reason to think he is using PED's. The contract they signed him to makes sense, even though it is a huge commitment relative to their overall payroll. So why punish them if, unbeknownst to them, Longoria is later found to have used PED's?

What makes ARod's case so different is that, separate and apart from the whole PED issue, ARod is now grossly overpaid, and would be overpaid for the next four years, but for the possible lifetime ban. If he wasn't suspended at all, he'd be paid another $86 mm and the Yankees would be very lucky to get $30 mm in value (probably a lot less than that). That's the main reason we're all unhappy that the Yankees may get out from under their very stupid contract.

Why wouldn't the best solution be to let the Yankees off the hook for $86m but not let the teams "reset" their luxury tax numbers. There should be some cost associated with the extra production they benefited from by having a cheater on the roster.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch 2m

Buck was asked about USA Today quote about Wieters/NYY. Said wasn't meant for public consumption.

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 41s

Buck pointed out that conversation was off the record. Not meant for public consumption what was quoted in USA Today.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch 2m

Buck was asked about USA Today quote about Wieters/NYY. Said wasn't meant for public consumption.

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 41s

Buck pointed out that conversation was off the record. Not meant for public consumption what was quoted in USA Today.

Now, that makes the most sense yet!!!!!!!!

Thanks

And guys who didn't sign with Boras don't?

Some who chose other agents leave open the possibility of quality of life and team loyalty choices. Those who choose Scott, have chosen ultimate financial security as their only goal.

I don't think the Yankees should be forced to "pay it" but I don't think they should be allowed to reset the Luxury Tax. IMO the best solution would be that Luxury Tax status cannot be adjusted down when a player is suspended.
This seems like a good idea to me.

He is still an example of a Boras client that valued comfort more then money.

A complete anomaly. He just did not fired Boras like ARod did after his stunt backfired. Weaver may not have enjoyed the view from the belly of the beast.

Archived