Orioles Want Pie Added

hardrock75

Before everybody shouts "Link?" I'll help you out:

Baltimore executive Andy MacPhail still needs a shortstop, a center fielder, a closer and a durable starter. MacPhail said he will wait until the end of January to fill those roles from what remains of the free-agent class. Until then, he will consider trades, with second baseman Brian Roberts to the Chicago Cubs still a distinct possibility. MacPhail likely would want center fielder Felix Pie as part of the return.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=335823

It says likely, so I think this is just speculation. If we get Jones, we don't need Pie.

First, this is all speculation. We do not know what is going on behind the doors. Second, you can not have enough young 5 tool outfielders. I will gladly have Nick, Adam Jones and Felix Pie in my outfield. We could flip Scott for something else or keep him as a 4th OF and DH and tie the old can to Jay, Jay or Kevin, or God forbid the Hernia King. We have played slow guys in the outfield or infielders in the outfield for too long. I will take both Pie and Jones and be thrilled about it.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roberts would only add to the Cubs problem of 2007, consistency. A massive first half followed by a terrible second half will do us no good. We have a solid pitching core that we shouldn't break up. Soriano will do better as he spent a lot of 2007 with a hammy injury. Roberts isn't worth losing 2 potentially good pitchers. Have fun while your GM stands pat into April.

Looks like someone's a little hurt that we don't wanna trade for the Cubs garbage. Haha. :D

Roberts would only add to the Cubs problem of 2007, consistency. A massive first half followed by a terrible second half will do us no good. We have a solid pitching core that we shouldn't break up. Soriano will do better as he spent a lot of 2007 with a hammy injury. Roberts isn't worth losing 2 potentially good pitchers. Have fun while your GM stands pat into April.

Are you really basing your view of Roberts on that one split? In a single season? The difference in his halves were pretty much a BABIP issue anyway.

First, this is all speculation. We do not know what is going on behind the doors. Second, you can not have enough young 5 tool outfielders. I will gladly have Nick, Adam Jones and Felix Pie in my outfield. We could flip Scott for something else or keep him as a 4th OF and DH and tie the old can to Jay, Jay or Kevin, or God forbid the Hernia King. We have played slow guys in the outfield or infielders in the outfield for too long. I will take both Pie and Jones and be thrilled about it.

Getting Jones shouldn't proclude trying to get Pie. Both project with enough possible offense for the corner and both are supposed to be +CF defenders so either should be ++LFers.

In the Indians thread, someone stated that Bruce Levine said the Indians offered Adam Miller and Gutierrez for Brob. If that has any legs, then that may be why Pie is being asked for. I believe Miller is an elite pitching prospect and is ranked in the top 20 overall prospects. Pie is generally ranked in the top 30 or 40, so that may have upped the ante for Brob if the rumor is true.

Yeah, I'm craving it

Wanting it

And needing it right now

Yeah I'm endlessly

Hungry within

For pie without a doubt!

'Cause I want pie now

I want pie now

Give me some pie in a bowl

And I'm eating now Eating pie now

That's when I'll lose starvation...

Yeah it's hurting my stomach

Forking my stomach

And forcing me to starve

To be endlessly

Wanting pie and

Dreaming of pie love...

Because I want pie now

I want pie now

Give me some pie in a bowl

I won't scoff it down

It costs a pound

That's when I'll lose starvation...

And I want pie NOW

I want pie NOW

I feel my stomach explode

And I'm eating it NOW

Eating by NOW Feeling my starvation grow old.

Original Song Title: "Hysteria"

Original Performer: Muse

Parody Song Title: "Piesteria"

Parody Written by: Xad

Are you really basing your view of Roberts on that one split? In a single season? The difference in his halves were pretty much a BABIP issue anyway.

The scary thing is he was getting lucky in the 2nd half while he put up those down numbers

A .313 BABIP and only a LD% of 13%, his numbers should've been a lot lower

That is fine even if you don't like the trade i believe it will get done. i would say pie gallgher and marshall will do it sign it and be done. Then trade bedard to seattle for jones clement sherril and marrow and call it a day.

This trade is not going to happen at those prices. Sorry, but Pie and 2 arms for Roberts. I know you guys love the guy, but 2 decent ML ready arms is too much to give up when we have DeRosa. This deal will be dead if that is what MacFailure is looking for.

And therefore that is why both of our teams have sucked for the last ten years. You guys think your going to win this year with your best homerun threat as your leadoff hitter. We know we won't win this year i will guarantee this 2010 we will be right up there again at least it will take us only twelve years to be competetive what it has taken you guys about 75 years.

We won the division last year and we will take it this year without Roberts if it comes to it. I would rather have Gallagher in the rotation this year or next year than give him, Marshall, and Pie up. Don't compare us to the O's of the last 10 years. We have made the playoffs 3 times in that span.

This trade is not going to happen at those prices. Sorry, but Pie and 2 arms for Roberts. I know you guys love the guy, but 2 decent ML ready arms is too much to give up when we have DeRosa. This deal will be dead if that is what MacFailure is looking for.

That's absolutely fine. The Cubs were the ones who came calling. If the price is too steep for them (which I understand given that 2B isn't necessarily their biggest need), that's fine. There was no harm in asking. There's no need for fans of the two teams to fight about it.

That's absolutely fine. The Cubs were the ones who came calling. If the price is too steep for them (which I understand given that 2B isn't necessarily their biggest need), that's fine. There was no harm in asking. There's no need for fans of the two teams to fight about it.

Agreed. It's beyond me why so many Cubs fans are jumping on this board to talk trash. For a bunch of fans that "don't care" about Roberts, they're sure making a big stink about it.

/still thinks a Roberts deal will go down

//hoping for a package of Murton, Cedeno/EPat, Gallagher

Marshall is not someone who is considered in your core. He is a back end starter. You dont know anything about Gallagher yet, and you dont see Cedeno as being a big part of your future.

Roberts would fill in nicely for you guys, and to be able to move Soriano down would be nice.

Brob does better with more rest, and would probably get more in Chicago.

All of the above is not a good argument at all. Marshall is not set in the rotation for next year because he is a similar style pitcher to Lilly and Hill who are already in the rotation. Not because he is ineffective. Gallagher is 22 years old and has showed success at every level besides his brief ML stint. He shows great control and 3 good pitches. Cedeno is pretty much worthless to us, but to you guys he is valuable. He may even move to the OF as he has been practicing there lately just so he can get into the game.

For the person who said that we have no hr hitters etc. You obviously haven't watched us play before. This year Sori will hit 40+(as he would have last year if not missing 27 games). He still hit 33 hr. Aramis will hit 30-35 and Lee will hit 25-30. We don't need anymore power. If you guys have your hearts set on Pie then you better be willing to deal Roberts for Him and Marshall or even just Pie straight up. Hendry has already said he in untouchable.

I agree. No need to fight about it, we will just move on to Orlando Hudson most likely.

The scary thing is he was getting lucky in the 2nd half while he put up those down numbers

A .313 BABIP and only a LD% of 13%, his numbers should've been a lot lower

The BABIP splits I see are .359 before the break and .282 after, which would at least partially explain the severity of the splits in the other stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=roberbr01&year=2007

NOT SURE IF THIS HAS BEEN MENTIONED YET.

Gerry Fraley, of SportingNews.com, reports if the Baltimore Orioles trade 2B Brian Roberts to the Chicago Cubs, they would want Cubs OF Felix Pie included in the deal.

Well done, MacPhail, we need a prospect of that stature in return for Roberts.

Archived