Orioles Want Pie Added

hardrock75

I agree. No need to fight about it, we will just move on to Orlando Hudson most likely.

Makes a lot more sense to me given how much you guys are looking to spend on a 2B. He's a very good 2B but has only 1 year left until free agency and his team has prospects they want to break in at his position so he should be within your price range.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The BABIP splits I see are .359 before the break and .282 after, which would at least partially explain the severity of the splits in the other stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=roberbr01&year=2007

Sorry, I broke down an incorrect graph from before, those BABIP and LD% I put were from the month of August this year, when Roberts had a .257 AVG

.311 BABIP, LD% 13%

Welcome, fellow Roberts lover. Pie would replace 1-2 of the other players, not be tacked on. I doubt it happens, but who knows. The Cubs seem kind of schizo on Pie. On one hand he's untouchable in trade talks but on the other they seem to think they're going to need to platoon him in CF. He's been a big prospect for long enough, I think this is more or less a make or break year for him and I'm inclined to expect a break. I can understand why the O's would want him, but I kind of hope they don't get him. I prefer a package centered around Miller from the Indians.

I do not see the upside of Miller over Gallagher. Is it so blatent that I am missing it ??? I think it is a toss up.

Both are probably the first guy in a Roberts trade. Gallagher seems to be leading at this point in time.

As for Pie, I have seen him play in person a few times over the last 2 years and he is a difference maker. Not sure about the power, but how many CF's generate great power in the grand scheme of things ?

Not saying the O's have a chance of Getting Pie as most sources say No way, but why bust on him ??

Given his age and progression I see a good to very good ML player in his future.

Anyway Roberts may give the O's 2 more years of good play. He has made it clear he is gone in more than one interview.

I say improve the team as much as possible by trading Roberts while the value is up.

Would Pie for Roberts straight up be a fair deal for both teams? Sure, we'd want more, but no matter the return on Brian or Erik we'd always want more.

Say we do that deal and get Pie back to man CF. That opens the door to trade Bedard to the Mariners for Jones, Clement, and Yung-Chi Chen. We put Jones at SS, Clement at 1B, and Chen at 2B. That's four top young prospects in exchange for two guys who won't be here in two years anyway.

Even if you don't love either deal you have to admit we're better off after such trades than before. My fear is that AM is going to hold out so long for the best deals that he's going to wind up making no deals, and in that case we'll be worse off than if we'd made bad deals.

I do not see the upside of Miller over Gallagher. Is it so blatent that I am missing it ??? I think it is a toss up.

Both are probably the first guy in a Roberts trade. Gallagher seems to be leading at this point in time.

As for Pie, I have seen him play in person a few times over the last 2 years and he is a difference maker. Not sure about the power, but how many CF's generate great power in the grand scheme of things ?

Not saying the O's have a chance of Getting Pie as most sources say No way, but why bust on him ??

Given his age and progression I see a good to very good ML player in his future.

Anyway Roberts may give the O's 2 more years of good play. He has made it clear he is gone in more than one interview.

I say improve the team as much as possible by trading Roberts while the value is up.

There's quite a bit of discussion about that in the "Indians?" thread. Basically, Miller is a bigger risk because of his health but his pitches are significantly more electrifying according to numerous scouting reports.

Maybe Pie will be a difference maker, maybe not. What I see (and granted I've only seen him on tv and not all that often) is a great athlete who's not necessarily a great baseball player. If the O's did get him, I certainly would hope I'm wrong.

As for Roberts saying he's "gone," he has made clear that he'll look to go elsewhere when he's a free agent if the team isn't becoming competitive. We all know that with the sad state this organization is in it's unlikely that will be the case, but if we were somehow able to pull off a huge coup for Bedard and have some prospects turn out better than expected he could be convinced. Since that's unlikely to happen, it does make sense to trade Roberts if we can get players who will be legitimate building blocks for the future. I just don't see Marshall or Cedeno as having much value other than as stopgaps during the rebuilding process so it comes down to the difference between two years of Brian Roberts plus two draft picks or Sean Gallagher for 6 years. If Gallagher turns out to be the #2 starter some predict him to be, that's worth it. If he turns out to be the #4 others have predicted which I tend to think is more likely if he moves to the AL East, not so much.

NOT SURE IF THIS HAS BEEN MENTIONED YET.

Gerry Fraley, of SportingNews.com, reports if the Baltimore Orioles trade 2B Brian Roberts to the Chicago Cubs, they would want Cubs OF Felix Pie included in the deal.

Good for AM and the O's.... no Pie, no deal.

There's quite a bit of discussion about that in the "Indians?" thread. Basically, Miller is a bigger risk because of his health but his pitches are significantly more electrifying according to numerous scouting reports.

Maybe Pie will be a difference maker, maybe not. What I see (and granted I've only seen him on tv and not all that often) is a great athlete who's not necessarily a great baseball player. If the O's did get him, I certainly would hope I'm wrong.

As for Roberts saying he's "gone," he has made clear that he'll look to go elsewhere when he's a free agent if the team isn't becoming competitive. We all know that with the sad state this organization is in it's unlikely that will be the case, but if we were somehow able to pull off a huge coup for Bedard and have some prospects turn out better than expected he could be convinced. Since that's unlikely to happen, it does make sense to trade Roberts if we can get players who will be legitimate building blocks for the future. I just don't see Marshall or Cedeno as having much value other than as stopgaps during the rebuilding process so it comes down to the difference between two years of Brian Roberts plus two draft picks or Sean Gallagher for 6 years. If Gallagher turns out to be the #2 starter some predict him to be, that's worth it. If he turns out to be the #4 others have predicted which I tend to think is more likely if he moves to the AL East, not so much.

Given the O's success with draft picks I have to say Gallagher is a better bet. I like Roberts as a player. Far be it from me to rag on someone for transgressions. Actually I think most folks should just shut up. When it comes down to it i want to see the O's winning more than losing and I see nothing that will make that change without major change.

I am no stats guru, but I have to wonder... How many of the O's players present and over the past 10 years qualify as league average. Have we had a tem that consist of more than 4 or 5 league average or better players in that time frame ?

I think that will probably be a close call at best. That is why I just stare when I hear folks calling the returns in these "PROPOSED" trades average players. Wouldn't a team full of average players with 2 or 3 good or very good players be an upgrade as far as it goes ???

Sorry, I broke down an incorrect graph from before, those BABIP and LD% I put were from the month of August this year, when Roberts had a .257 AVG

.311 BABIP, LD% 13%

No sweat, just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. Of course, it's still quite possible that I'm losing my mind.

Where is davearm saying that the Cubs shouldn't do the deal because Pie is the second coming and worth more than Bedard, Roberts, and Markakis combined?

I'm not a fan of Pie and hope this deal falls through completely with the Cubs. I don't like any of the pieces they're offering and I would rather deal Roberts to another team.

Where is davearm saying that the Cubs shouldn't do the deal because Pie is the second coming and worth more than Bedard, Roberts, and Markakis combined?

I'm not a fan of Pie and hope this deal falls through completely with the Cubs. I don't like any of the pieces they're offering and I would rather deal Roberts to another team.

Have some ideas?

Our GM has already said Pie is staying put. If what you passed on was true, these talks would be done with. I still think they are going nowhere though...And I'm glad too. Two of our potential starters for a guy likely to leave in 2 years anyways? No thanks, DeRosa is almost as good, and Theriot will steal the bases.

I don't think its fair to say its likely Roberts will leave in 2 years. Its definitely possible, but if the Cubs are competitive and he gets comfortable in the community...I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Roberts sign an extension if it was offered.

Good for AM and the O's.... no Pie, no deal.

I have backed off reading a lot of the speculation lately. So, is there anything new out there really saying that the O's are still asking for Pie in a deal for Roberts?

This whole thread seems to be based on a writer saying the O's would likely want Pie in return. I thought that was ruled out a long time ago.

I have backed off reading a lot of the speculation lately. So, is there anything new out there really saying that the O's are still asking for Pie in a deal for Roberts?

This whole thread seems to be based on a writer saying the O's would likely want Pie in return. I thought that was ruled out a long time ago.

Trust me, I'm with you and have taken as many regurgitated trade rumors/thoughts/opinion as I can take... I only commented because I haven't been happy with what many posters appear to be ready to accept for Bedard and Roberts. So as SG said in the beginning, a deal for Roberts HAS to include Pie. With regard to Bedard, the Hangout went from looking at Kemp, Hu, LaRoche, etc etc..... to 3 prospects from the Mariners? Wow....

Trust me, I'm with you and have taken as many regurgitated trade rumors/thoughts/opinion as I can take... I only commented because I haven't been happy with what many posters appear to be ready to accept for Bedard and Roberts. So as SG said in the beginning, a deal for Roberts HAS to include Pie. With regard to Bedard, the Hangout went from looking at Kemp, Hu, LaRoche, etc etc..... to 3 prospects from the Mariners? Wow....

You ain't lyin!

Wow.....you live in Myrtle Beach thats awesome!

Archived