Bud Norris Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Norris a lot and he can be a decent #3 but his lefty splits are atrocious. He needs to develop a way to get lefties out next season.

Sure why not... He has been in the majors for 5 seasons, but heck let's expect him to learn how to pitch this offseason.

The Norris trade will be rising rapidly up the ranks of worst ever. He'll be lucky to hold down a BP spot next year. In two years Josh Hader will be in the bigs (and better than Bud Norris), LJ Hoes will be a quality outfielder with an OBP > .350 and who knows what the Astros will get with our first round sandwich pick.

I don't see how someone with his splits can be a #3. Every team that can will just stack the lineup against him.

I agree. I have some very big concerns over Norris' ability get left-handers out. Unless he gets them to chase that slider low and in, which is a hard pitch to repeat, he doesn't have much against them. I'm honestly a little disappointed in his stuff. He's basically a two-pitch guy and that's not going to work in the AL East in anything more than a 5 or 6 inning 5th starter guy. He needs to work on and develop that changeup to be anything more than that. I also think batters pick him up pretty well. They are able to foul off good pitches and extend ABs and that gives him high pitch counts, even when his stuff is good.

He's a battler in there and he can keep the team in games even when he's not doing great, but I'd be lying if I said I was impressed by what I've seen from Norris with the Orioles, especially for what we gave up for him.

Except, Strop was being DFA'd. And Jake would have been non tendered.

How quickly the OH forget that Strop was run out of town by his own fans.

The anti-strop sentiment from some in here and on other social media sites was extremely strong and negative.

There wasn't a lot of love left for Jake, either.

How quickly the OH forget that Strop was run out of town by his own fans.

The anti-strop sentiment from some in here and on other social media sites was extremely strong and negative.

There wasn't a lot of love left for Jake, either.

He was run out of town by virtue of a contending team being unable to keep his under-performing self on the roster.

Scott Feldman = Bud Norris = Jason Hammel

This comparison was completely lambasted when it was presented at the time of the trade because every just knew Norris was going to step it up for a contender. Except that he didn't. All three pitchers for their careers have been pretty similar. All have had varying degrees of success in a given year, with Hammel having his in 2012, Feldman in 2013, and we can only hope Norris in 2014.

I assume he is pencilled into next year's rotation on the value of what we gave up for him. He will probably be rocking a $5M salary. Hopefully he doesn't get demoted to the bullpen.

Archived